broken st. croix rod ?

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So weird happening this morn. Pulled in a nice 24in walleye this morning. As I set net and fish on floor of boat it got to flopping all over. I had set my rod on floor too. The butt sitting on the floor and rod laying up between the windshield. As I was trying to get a hold of the fish if flopped and hit rod by the reel area and made the rod flip up and smack somehow against the windshield. Broke the top 3 inches off. What are the odds of that? Anyway, tried to call customer service but apparently closed on weekends. Rod is maybe 3 summers old?? Anyone know how or if they'll handle this? I suspect im SOL but worth a shot.

eliminator

Honored Member
I think they were bought out by someone else and I called on a rod a year or so ago and I believe they told me for a fee I could send it in and they would replace it. I don't remember what the fee was.
I found this out thru Scheels also. You might check with them and see what they say tho.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke a rod last year and went through their process. It was around a $120 rod new and I think I got around a $70 credit toward a new one ordered through them. The rod was 3-4 years old. It was a bit of a clunky process as I had to exchange emails and phone calls with one of their customer service people several times and it would take a week in between their responses but that may have been due to it being in the midst of covid. Not a bad deal but don't expect one the same week.

Here was the initial email I received from them:
[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry to hear about your rod breaking, for this warranty we can use our Excellerator Program.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• If rod is within warranty, there will be a $50 surcharge for a replacement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• If rod is outside of warranty, the charges will be based off of the tier chart[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We do not need your rod mailed in; we will take care of this claim via email with the following instructions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Please provide pictures of the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- You will need to physically break the rod. The rod broken 2-3 inches above the handle in the decal area. If you need help breaking the rod please click the link: https://youtu.be/iHJ0iYL9Te0[/FONT]

https://stcroixrods.com/pages/service-warranty-2020

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So weird happening this morn. Pulled in a nice 24in walleye this morning. As I set net and fish on floor of boat it got to flopping all over. I had set my rod on floor too. The butt sitting on the floor and rod laying up between the windshield. As I was trying to get a hold of the fish if flopped and hit rod by the reel area and made the rod flip up and smack somehow against the windshield. Broke the top 3 inches off. What are the odds of that? Anyway, tried to call customer service but apparently closed on weekends. Rod is maybe 3 summers old?? Anyone know how or if they'll handle this? I suspect im SOL but worth a shot.
I would try and get it replaced under warranty because that’s what it is for! Worst case scenario is they offer you a partial warranty, but them selling you a replacement rod at cost is not hurting them and is keeping their customers happy. I wouldn’t say that it was completely your fault from the sounds of it.

Fordman

Just recieved my replacement back yesterday. Cost was 50.00. Only had it 3 weeks and broke. They didnt even want to look at it which I was unhappy with since what if there was a flaw possibly why am I paying . This is the most I ever spent on a rod and will probably just leave it in the tube it came in for now. Maybe only use for special occasions!

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Not looking to start a best vs crap rod altercation. All I can say is Fenwick warranty is top notch in my experience. Send them a three pictures and request a replacement.

they’ve replaced four rods of mine over the last 10 years. Some were 7 years old. New rod came in the mail at no fee. Not even a shipping charge. This applied to all tanges of their rods. HMG, HMX, and Elite Tech.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A bit unrelated but does anyone know where a person can get a new cork handle installed? Have a loomis that needs new handle, all else is good but the cork is shot.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bit unrelated but does anyone know where a person can get a new cork handle installed? Have a loomis that needs new handle, all else is good but the cork is shot.

Fairly easy to do. Cork rings or handles are available from several sources with Mudhole in Florida ( www.mudhole.com ) having the most options. Have changed cork handles on several rods and can be done in couple of hours by carefully removing the old cork and then epoxying on the new handle. Chuck DeRemer in Fargo did rod repair for many years but not sure if he is still doing it.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
*update* I got a hold of a customer service fella. I just had to use a hacksaw and cut off piece near handle where it had serial and model number, place in envelope with a check for $55 and mail in. They'll send me a new rod. No questions asked. I think that is pretty square! I guess that is a reason to stay loyal to St. Croix.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76