Bait casting setups

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to try out a bait casting rig. Searched older threads but wondering what a "good" starter outfit would be? I know regardless I will be dealing with birdsnests. One previous poster suggested putting a piece of tape about 100yds in on the reel to keep the whole thing from going to hell. Sound advise. Probably use mostly with 1/4 - 3/8oz jigs/plastics and some cranks. Don't want to break the bank in case it doesn't really fit the bill, but don't want to be cheap and get junk either. Lets see or here what ya got.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bass Pro and Garcia also have good combos. The quality you get now in the 60-80 buck range would've cost hundreds 20yrs ago.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lew’s makes a great casting reel. You get what you pay for and it does make a difference. I love shimano spinning reels but not the easiest casting bait casters IMO. I still prefer spinning gear for jigs and plastics but use bait caster for casting heavier cranks and bigger plastics. If you are going to cast a lot they are awesome. If you are finesse jigging stick to the spinning gear.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why baitcaster? What benefit does it offer not found in a spinning reel?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^Wow Sir. My Bantam Curado receives far more profanity than the Garcias. Thank you as I feel less insane. I mean holy hell it's all the same concept!...I blamed the rod (Lew's Speedstick). That reel is a fickle little bitch with a cracked/superglued sideplate...not proud.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of logical reasons I'll leave to others to post. In a metaphysical sense; when you're in tune with your gear and achieve success it's quite satisfying. I imagine it's the same with fly rod mastery.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you get a gd Shimano BC which randomly prefers a different stroke between 5 and 17 throws.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Baitcasters don't twist the line and there's a lot less line memory on them than a spinning reel.

That being said, I much prefer spinning reels also.

Pretty sure I can't cast my baitcaster worth a crap with 1/4 oz jigs. I need more heft to introduce some forgiveness to my poor form.

p.s. My only baitcaster is a Lew's combo that I picked up at Scheels in Billings some 6 years ago. It's been a good setup and my daughter was able to cast it like a champ on her first try using a large spoon.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Baitcasters don't twist the line and there's a lot less line memory on them than a spinning reel

I could see that if a guy insists on using mono or fluoro but don't understand that either with modern braids available.

You could run power pro through the washing machine and not get a kink.

Buy a pflueger purist and spool it with 8lb power pro. It will cast, crank or pull anything you want.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Comparing a BC to spinning gear is akin to comparing spinning gear to a fly rod. Crossover is possible and minimal.

- - - Updated - - -

A 3/8th or heavier spinnerbait can be awkwardly fished on spinning tackle. The presentation will be loud, the retrieve retarded/ungainly on a bent rod, the lure will start at increased depth; possibly stripping drag/twisting line unless slow rolling. A hookset in this fuck story may break your rod. Reeling against a stripping drag twists line on spinning tackle. On another note: Line twist problems are near nonexistent with MODERN braid: Totally non-issue with a BC.

I lied in my OP. Sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

Spinnerbaits are not the only purpose of baitcasting reels. Twitching a balsa jerkbait on top or jigging a plastic with a 1/8oz or smaller sinker is where spin meets fly. It's all about profile and weight.

FWIW a Texas Rigged 7in plastic worm is an effective bass/ walleye/catfish/pike/saltwater bait with a 1/8oz sinker being the max on spinning tackle. Go heavier and the above rambling about spinnerbaits apply: IMO.
- - - Updated - - -

I've whipped some heavy streamers on spin gear and caught fish. The drop from the tip to the fly is excessively long and the cast is extremely violent. That is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Another positive about braid: 30yrs ago muskie fisherman used 25lb test along with bass fisherman flipping lily pads. Now one can cast a micro-Rapala on 2/15 as others catch tuna on 20lb diameter.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Less casting effort. Less line twist. Better balance and control with the weight all in your palm rather than hung under your hand. More control of a fish with the rod between you and the fish rather than just the line-guides.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
The black max or silvermax combo from Walmart was my starter combo 100 bucks so not much if you don't like it I have upgraded now my kids play with the starter now works good

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds like a NDA challenge is in order.

It's not even close to fair for the spinning-rod folks. Especially if you're talking any extended period of time/number of casts. Bait-caster folks give a little flick of the wrist while the spinning rod crowd is double-handed whipping for all their worth.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught an old rusted up bucket last time out, it was on my St Croix rod with a bait casting reel, was the most fun I have had fighting what seemed to be a new state record, not sure how that bucket was able to head shake, and create so many false positives, but even my netting buddy was all bonered up...

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not even close to fair for the spinning-rod folks. Especially if you're talking any extended period of time/number of casts. Bait-caster folks give a little flick of the wrist while the spinning rod crowd is double-handed whipping for all their worth.
I don’t give a shit what kind of rod and reel is used, I just want to see how many times he can get it in the bucket at 40yards.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking to try out a bait casting rig. Searched older threads but wondering what a "good" starter outfit would be? I know regardless I will be dealing with birdsnests. One previous poster suggested putting a piece of tape about 100yds in on the reel to keep the whole thing from going to hell. Sound advise. Probably use mostly with 1/4 - 3/8oz jigs/plastics and some cranks. Don't want to break the bank in case it doesn't really fit the bill, but don't want to be cheap and get junk either. Lets see or here what ya got.

I picked up some Lews American Hero bait cast reels and was very surprised how well the performed for a novice baitcaster user. I set the reel tension and didn’t get even one birds nest even without thumbing the reel. They have worked great for me but I am mainly using them to pull BB and spinners.

- - - Updated - - -

No line twist is the big one for me. I wanted a rod with mono and can’t stand line twists so I went with a baitcaster.

- - - Updated - - -

I seldom if ever cast with two hands. Am I doing something wrong or just different?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seldom if ever cast with two hands. Am I doing something wrong or just different?

Most casting w/spinning rods that I see is a 2-handed affair needing a lot of effort. Jigs/plastics would be an exception, they don't take nearly the effort that a small/light crank bait does.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Lews line is what has tickled my fancy so far the most. Just unsure of model to go with. Thanks guys so far with your info. Line twist and accuracy is kinda the reason I'm leaning towards BC to give it a try. And yes, I have braids on a few of my spinning rigs also so that isn't the issue.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, I brought my first casting rod this year, Abu Garcia Revo-4 reel/Vendetta Rod, and find it very easy to cast for a newbie.

20# PP on it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76