Bait casting setups

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you are going to cast and bb - look at quantum --- they have a flippin switch for bbng.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been using pfluger bc's for about 25 years... have 4 i bought at the same time that i always use for any kind of trolling other than cranks... just got into the pitching game last year and got a couple 7-8' rods and put the same sub $100 pflugers on them... i also am a spider wire guy and rigged them up with that...

got a heavy 7'3" with 20# for swimbaits up to 1 1/4 oz and a medium heavy 7' with 12# for anything lighter...

it is a challenge to learn, but once you do you can overcast and thumb the spool to drop it in wherever you want... i really enjoy trolling shorelines with one rod in the holder and pitching to shore with the bc... quite the rush to see the water boil and feel the bite a couple feet from shore...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i've been using pfluger bc's for about 25 years... have 4 i bought at the same time that i always use for any kind of trolling other than cranks... just got into the pitching game last year and got a couple 7-8' rods and put the same sub $100 pflugers on them... i also am a spider wire guy and rigged them up with that...

got a heavy 7'3" with 20# for swimbaits up to 1 1/4 oz and a medium heavy 7' with 12# for anything lighter...

it is a challenge to learn, but once you do you can overcast and thumb the spool to drop it in wherever you want... i really enjoy trolling shorelines with one rod in the holder and pitching to shore with the bc... quite the rush to see the water boil and feel the bite a couple feet from shore...

What reel do you have on the heavy rod? I picked up a 7’6” heavy casting G loomis for $120 intended for a pike set up. Not sure what reel to use on it for that application.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What reel do you have on the heavy rod? I picked up a 7’6” heavy casting G loomis for $120 intended for a pike set up. Not sure what reel to use on it for that application.

I recommend a classic Garcia "round" reel. I have two SpeedKings at the ready for spinnerbaits and topwater. They are very forgiving and tough. Not sure if they're still made. Haven't been in the market for a new reel for a minute or so.

Why do right handed people persist on right side crank handles?....In a fight the rod and drag are the key: All the crank has to do is spin in a freaking circle. I now see pro bass fisherman switch hands on spin gear after the cast. This is dumbass and can only be corrected through our youth. If I were the Emperor of Fishing; right side cranks would be properly called left hand reels. Damn it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recommend a classic Garcia "round" reel. I have two SpeedKings at the ready for spinnerbaits and topwater. They are very forgiving and tough. Not sure if they're still made. Haven't been in the market for a new reel for a minute or so.

Why do right handed people persist on right side crank handles?....In a fight the rod and drag are the key: All the crank has to do is spin in a freaking circle. I now see pro bass fisherman switch hands on spin gear after the cast. This is dumbass and can only be corrected through our youth. If I were the Emperor of Fishing; right side cranks would be properly called left hand reels. Damn it.

You shut your filthy pirate hooker mouth!! If I have to start paying full price for left-side retrieve bait casters there's not a "Holler" in the South that's deep or remote enough that I won't find you..............

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do right handed people persist on right side crank handles?....

Agreed it's idiotic. Why would anyone want to switch the rod in your hands on every cast?
I own exactly one bait caster with the handle on the right-hand side, and that's so when I'm trolling bottom bouncers, I can have a rod in each hand and be able to set one down while I'm setting the hook on the other, and then have that free hand immediately on the reel handle.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
who changes hands --- with baitcasters i always cast with my left reel with right.

spinning reels - i always change the handle to a right retrieve. cash with left.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always assumed bass pros switch hands after casting and then retrieve with the rod in the other hand in order to spread the long day of wear/tear across two shoulders instead of one shoulder doing all of it.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I’m confused why a guy doesn’t buy a left hand handled casting reel? I always crank with my left hand regardless of if it’s a spinning or casting reel. It would drive me crazy to switch hands!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My spinning reels, I reel left handed. Crank rods, right handed. There is a YouTube video explaining why most do it. Can't find it again right now. Made sense

It was something to do with you move it in your hand anyhow if your palming your reel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76