NDSU to the FBS???

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been reading all the news about the Big 12 about to collapse and the top teams getting poached by the SEC and Big 10.

With potential openings in the G5 and the P4 about to pull away from the NCAA will we see NdSU move up to the FBS level such as the Mountain West Conference?

The Fargo media thinks it can happen, but is their an appetite to ditch their local rivals to join a league much further west? Can NDSU afford the travel expenses for not just the football team but for the rest of the athletic department?

It would be sweet to see P5 and G5 opponents playing in the Fargo dome but are the related parties ready to pony up $$$$$?????

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND had travel budget issues in the Bigsky Conference. Granted a lot of their athletic funds go to hockey. But NDSU would need to up their athletic budget a good chunk to stand a chance at the next level.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Big 12 would be a better fit IMO. They already have a solid program competing in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I firmly believe that if WY can field DI teams in every sport, so can ND, SD, & MT.

That guy

Honored Member
Until the g5 has their own playoffs bday will most likely stay in fcs. Hard to make money in the dollar general bowl.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Big 12 would be a better fit IMO. They already have a solid program competing in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I firmly believe that if WY can field DI teams in every sport, so can ND, SD, & MT.

I'm not an NDSU fan but it's clear they would do just fine in football in the Mountain west, etc. Their other sports would be fine as well. So much chaos in conferences lately that who's to say that conference won't break apart too? The Big 12 is likely toast. Is the juice of being a decent mid-level FBS team worth the squeeze of 10's of millions of dollars? Perhaps.

NDSU has probably had more success in the ~13 years they've been D1 than Wyoming has had in the last 30 (basketball, softball, baseball, etc).

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Could they compete? Based on the evidence of the last several games against FBS opponents I would have to say they could. But there are several other questions. Is their FB facility large enough for FBS? At one time wasn't there a minimum seating requirement for FBS, like in the 30,000 seating capacity range? It's not just the athletic budgets that go up in FBS. College presidents of FBS schools are paid more, professors of FBS schools expect higher pay, and for sure coaches at FBS schools expect more pay. There are more questions to be answered than just can the FB team compete. That answer is a pretty simple yes, but would the support be as high when all the other expenses needed to be successful also get higher?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the field NDSU would be fine, but other than that sounds like lots of issues to address. I don't know diddly squat about college football but in addressing the geography travel cost issue, could a new FBS conference be formed? the 4 dakota schools, 2 montana schools, etc?

bigsky2

I'm from MT and lived in Wyoming for a few years. It was really hard for me to get excited about Wyoming making a shitty bowl game, even after having a good season in the Mountain West. I'd much rather be an elite FCS program and get to play for championships every year.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish the NCAA would go to a 16 team playoff for the Natty title. Then have another 16 team playoff like the NIT in basketball. Scrap the shit bowl games.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and look what Boise st has done at the D1 level in FB

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

Big 12 would be a better fit but it will no longer have a power status and will make the G5 a G6. Not sure what teams will even be left in it after the top teams are poached

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not an NDSU fan but it's clear they would do just fine in football in the Mountain west, etc. Their other sports would be fine as well. So much chaos in conferences lately that who's to say that conference won't break apart too? The Big 12 is likely toast. Is the juice of being a decent mid-level FBS team worth the squeeze of 10's of millions of dollars? Perhaps.

NDSU has probably had more success in the ~13 years they've been D1 than Wyoming has had in the last 30 (basketball, softball, baseball, etc).
NDSU would already be in the Mountain West if it wasn’t so far away. They would be a top football team every year in that conference. The geographical distance wouldn’t affect football much but can you imagine having to travel that distance for all your sports teams? It’s the same problem as UND and the Big Sky

- - - Updated - - -

On the field NDSU would be fine, but other than that sounds like lots of issues to address. I don't know diddly squat about college football but in addressing the geography travel cost issue, could a new FBS conference be formed? the 4 dakota schools, 2 montana schools, etc?
This is the best case scenario for when the P4 moves on and the G5 merges with the top FCS teams. Welcome back the old NCC!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They might need even less of a stadium if they go FBS and don't do well. Not going to watch NDSU thrash someone in quarter final games out of boringness is one thing, not going because you expect them to lose should be at least as big of a concern. How many bandwagon fans would slip out of regular attendance if they aren't as dominant of a force as people have grown to expect?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
They might need even less of a stadium if they go FBS and don't do well. Not going to watch NDSU thrash someone in quarter final games out of boringness is one thing, not going because you expect them to lose should be at least as big of a concern. How many bandwagon fans would slip out of regular attendance if they aren't as dominant of a force as people have grown to expect?
Still more than attend UND games. ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75