Chasing Rifle accuracy questions 0

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know what you're saying: I once saw Jerry put 5 '06 rds @ 200 in six inch steel in 7.9 seconds with a Mod 70 XTR.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry Sir. You missed the point.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
parallax?

Stop using big words on us hicks, you shithead.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I took it out tonight and shot at two hundred. I either am getting better at shooting or the barrel likes to be hot. This is an 11 shot group. 1691261342838.png1691261342838.png

Any analysis from this?

- - - Updated - - -

First 4 are in the circle

If the first four rounds are all in the circle, what's the reason for the high and to the right other 7? Reason I ask is because that's certainly a nice group for 7 rounds, but I would be wondering why there's a difference between rounds 1-4 and 5-11.

Nonetheless, if this is a hunting rifle, it's certainly within a "minute of deer" unless you plan on killing at incredibly long ranges.

I am guessing the rifle is awesome and you changed your aiming point. But that's just a guess. Been there...

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Stop using big words on us hicks, you shithead.

- - - Updated - - -

If the first four rounds are all in the circle, what's the reason for the high and to the right other 7? Reason I ask is because that's certainly a nice group for 7 rounds, but I would be wondering why there's a difference between rounds 1-4 and 5-11.

Nonetheless, if this is a hunting rifle, it's certainly within a "minute of deer" unless you plan on killing at incredibly long ranges.

I am guessing the rifle is awesome and you changed your aiming point. But that's just a guess. Been there...

My same thoughts as well. Not sure why the group moved. I will keep shooting to find out more. My thoughts are me maybe settling in and getting consistent.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^That's pretty damn impressive IMO. I wouldn't dream of shooting a bbl that hot unless in a firefight. I may be a bit Sheldon Cooper. IMO a true group is obtained from an ambient temp tube. I get a little "naggy" feeling if I'm out at freezing or below with a rifle zeroed at 50 above. I'm not a queer.

Barrels are "wear items" just like brake pads and tires. For the most part, ~$700 + 3-5 wks and you're back up and running. If you need a specific/specialty bbl taper it might take a bit longer, but, it should be easy enough to budget the necessary time ahead of time. Short of physical damage or perhaps that "once in a lifetime" high-volume prairie dog shoot, barrels don't just puke, it's a slow regression giving away accuracy and velocity in small increments.

I've never fallen in love with a set of brake pads/rotors, tires, an oil filter, set of wipers, or any other wear-item on a car. Nor have I ever been so enamored with any rifle barrel that I wouldn't shoot it to "Welding-smell" hot just for grins. On that note, Jiffy's poor factory Rem 22-250 tube just WILL NOT give up the ghost despite a reasonably fair effort on his part to melt it.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
On that note, Jiffy's poor factory Rem 22-250 tube just WILL NOT give up the ghost despite a reasonably fair effort on his part to melt it.
Haha, I have a Savage 22-250 barrel like that. I've had a replacement sitting in my safe for a year, but I just can't bring myself to put it on when the original still shoots so well. I looked at it with a bore scope a while back, and it looked like toast, but it has survived several prairie dog shoots since.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Achucker I have had groups like that before, and most times it was the scope. I paid $1300 for a Leupold years ago that about drove me up a wall. Leopold sent me a new scope that I never took out of the box and sold it for $800. That scope had two nice groups 1.5 inch apart. I put on a 30 year old Bushnell 3x9 that I paid under $50 for and shot a .35 inch group. I have run through many scopes of many makes. Quality control is terrible at Nikon. I have a half dozen that are accurate and one very accurate Nikon that gave me fits for a while. I run my load over three different chronographs and could not get my program to work. Finally I discovered that when I dialed 20 inches I actually got 21. Try a group with a different scope no matter how expensive, or how new, or what brand they can fail.

The only other thing I can think of is the warm barrel contacted the stock and shifted, but stabilized. I had a light weight 3⁰ Win mag that grouped 1.5 inch. I free floated it and it shot 2.5 inch. I started pushing business cards between the stock and barrel at the very end of the stock. zWith four business cards it grouped .4 inch, but with five it opened up again. I cut narrow straps of those cards and bedded the forend with the cards back slightly so I coukd remove them. That rifle I gave to my son, and he left it to his son. It still shoots very well for such a light rifle.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or if it’s a light weight rifle starting to jerk the trigger anticipating recoil. Make sure you follow through the shot.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
either the shooter or the gun shoots better warmed up

the photographic evidence proves it

- - - Updated - - -

by better I mean more precisely

Accuracy-vs-precision1.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont get those pics guy. I have always considered accuracy and precision as the same thing. :;:huh

[FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]In a set of measurements, accuracy is closeness of the measurements to a specific value, while precision is the closeness of the measurements to each other.[/FONT]

Huntin1

Established Member
:cool:

Agreed. A true 1 MOA hunting rifle is plenty good.

Nice bike BTW Rob!! I figured you’d ride a Honda! ��

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaha

Ha!, I used to, this is my first Harley. And Thanks!
I'm slowly going broke. As one of my co-workers pointed out, HD doesn't stand for Harley Davidson, it stands for another Hundred Dollars. :;:help

I can't decide which hobby is more expensive, shooting or motorcycling. In either case every time I see something I don't have I feel the urge to go buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

I should never watch Jerry Miculek. I have burned through 2000 rounds this winter trying to put 20 rounds on a six inch steel target in 10 seconds. I hate using so much ammo, but a guy gets ticked when he can't so it. A person should be able to do 25% of what Miculek does, but I give up until someone makes a better trigger for the Springfield XDM Elite tactical. Should have bought the Sig.

I tried telling you to get the Sig. :cool:

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input. I think i am going to shoot another group. As I was shooting I was feeling more comfortable. I really hope it's not the scope, but I guess there is always that possibility. PG the pressure point on the barrel interests me. Bell & carlson state you need to have permission to remove material because of pressure points they have or will void the warranty. Guy I'm not quite sure of your drawing are you saying the gun is accurate and the shooter sucks or the shooter is accurate and the gun is not.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tightness of the group improved while it drifted away in terms of accuracy.

It appears it shot better (tighter group) after it warmed up - or you settled in.

The accuracy can always be improved by adjusting the scope of course. Ha ha.

My only point was the precision seemed to get better later in the series.

I know very little about precision shooting - just musing about the group.

- - - Updated - - -

(5-11 seems pretty remarkable)

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Barrels are "wear items" just like brake pads and tires. For the most part, ~$700 + 3-5 wks and you're back up and running. If you need a specific/specialty bbl taper it might take a bit longer, but, it should be easy enough to budget the necessary time ahead of time. Short of physical damage or perhaps that "once in a lifetime" high-volume prairie dog shoot, barrels don't just puke, it's a slow regression giving away accuracy and velocity in small increments.

I've never fallen in love with a set of brake pads/rotors, tires, an oil filter, set of wipers, or any other wear-item on a car. Nor have I ever been so enamored with any rifle barrel that I wouldn't shoot it to "Welding-smell" hot just for grins. On that note, Jiffy's poor factory Rem 22-250 tube just WILL NOT give up the ghost despite a reasonably fair effort on his part to melt it.

You obviously never had a fresh Penthouse and a set of evenly worn brake pads in the garage bathroom. What the hell would you know?...

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You obviously never had a fresh Penthouse and a set of evenly worn brake pads in the garage bathroom. What the hell would you know?...

Lemme guess, you ground a needle-diameter high spot onto the rotors and prayed for a very short return?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75