115 Mercury 4 stroke problems

fishdrinkhunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2011 Mercury 115 4 stroke that is leaking oil out of the air filter its coming from a breather hose off the motor. Also there is a port below the discharge of the cooling water that's leaking small amounts of oil. Oil level is perfect on the dipstick, engine runs great with no loss of power. Any ideas or recommendations to bring it to to be looked at in the Bismarck-Mandan area. Most repair shops are booked out weeks and I don't want to cancel my camping reservations due to not having a boat. Thanks

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^^ yes. I'm pretty sure he will at least tell you if it's not a good idea to use the boat until he has time to work on it. Had him fix my boat last spring and wouldn't hesitate to call him again.

fishdrinkhunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I checked all the cylinders for compression -- 220 PSI which is a very good sign. Cleaned up the motor real good and come to find out that the rubber plug sealing the dipstick is allowing a very small amount of oil out. Other than that I guess I will ust ho for the best this weekend while pulling the kids on the zup board!!

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think it would be strange to see some oil out that breather. After all it’s a crank breather. A slight overfill at oil change will easily do that.

fishdrinkhunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replaced the foam air filter with an aftermarket fine mesh filter. Oil level is at the halfway mark.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend of mine with a similar motor called Mild 2 Wild in Mandan last week and was able to get in the same day, could be worth a try.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75