Switching hitch ball sizes

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just have have a different receiver for each ball. I think that is the easiest. Use a lock vs a pin.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
they will all eventually suck in the conditions we have up here, unless you're religious about cleaning it after every wet or freeze/thaw spell... all have to be maintained to a way higher standard because of what we drive through...

you could just buy her a different truck for each trailer she has and leave them hooked up permanently... that's what a good son would do...

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I too have been looking for a good hitch system and was set on the B&W until I found out that it will not work with my Towtector. So I am playing the switch out game still.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And pull them when not in use. Simple. Won’t get rusted in and stuck.

they trailer a lot to their "cabin property" with a variety of vehicles depending on what it is that they're up to

so that means dragging multiple hitches around in a cardboard box or some such in multiple vehicles they drive - on every trip - so you have them on occasion when you need them - even unexpectedly (mower needs service, water needs hauling, etc.)

when you're 80 your mind doesn't remember to swap hitch box between vehicles, etc. - thus a single package left in the hitch is desired

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
About your only option is the convert a ball for quick and light weight changing. Keep them lubed and cleaned every so often and they should last a long time. Especially remove and reapply a lube after towing in winter salt/sand conditions.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with the B&W Tow and Stow. Have a 2" and 2 5/8" that just flips over. Very easy to change. Works with my new Rockstar flaps and tucks away when not using. As said above, use a light coating of lithium grease on the pins to keep them working smoothly.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or you could leave a receiver with the ball by each of the trailers. So when you back up to hitch up to that trailer, the receiver is there with the correct ball for that trailer.
Pain in the butt, but hey us old timers need all the help we can get!! ;:;rofl

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew that woman looked familiar, she was tailing me until I had to pull over and let her by..

Older people are sometimes in a hurry as they know their time is limited.

She was probably trying to tell you your Yeti cooler was stuck under your trailer axle. You probably put a 6" deep, 5 mile long gouge in the highway.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would switch out the hitch on the trailers so there all the same size. A sawall and drill is about all you need. Then everything is the same and no mistakes or trailer coming loose going down the road.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you must have missed the part about those types getting stuck

besides - they really aren't equivalent motions/actions - at all

- - - Updated - - -

chances are you have been - she's pulling trailers between Dickinson and Killdeer all the time

drives better than most men - used to drive class A all over the country
a receiver hitch getting stuck? I’ve never had that happen. Usually they’re too damn loose.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
AL draw-bars to save a bunch of weight and honest-to-goodness grease on the draw-bar shaft and lock-pin. Use the lock-pin-retainer that Allen posted as well.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one of those quick-change ball hitch (with the pin that goes through the ball, don't know name/brand. Sorry). And I've had zero issues. However, I always take the hitch out and store it under the backseat of my truck.

Rusty, yes. But it's 11 years old, and I've yet to not be able to easily get it out after use.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on making the trailers take the same size ball. We did that to all our trailers when we were at the farm.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75