New trolling motor batteries

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for some advice on new trolling motor batteries. Got 3 years out of Odyssey (red top) batteries. Not real impressed with lifespan. Lithium batteries are not an option due to cost and need to replace on board charger in order to charge them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems there's been hundreds of threads on this topic. One of those things you'll find guys that love and hate each brand (other than maybe the really expensive ones). I have no complaints with WalMart deep cycles, $80 or so and I've always gotten about 4 years out of them with fairly heavy boat use.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked a pair of interstates up at Costco for $84 a piece. No complaints.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been happy with the big Interstate marine deep cycles. Always keep them charged and check water levels once or twice a year.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotten 6yrs each out of 2 sets of Fleet Farm AGM's. Spring of '19 I bought Sam's Club Durcacell AGM's and I expect similar life out of them.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be swapping out mine this fall, too, as the current Optima's are too expensive for that same five year window. Most likely I'll buy Walmart 31's unless I get a membership at Costco. Best bang for the buck.

eyeguy

Interstate, Walmart, Delco and many, many other battery brands are all manufactured in the same factory. I'd by a DEKA battery made by East Penn Manufacturing. That is the company that makes the CAT Batteries and many other batteries for high end vehicles.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keeping them charged after use, and winter storage are more important than brand.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have Interstate size 29 I think' Keep a trickel charger on them all the time. Bought in 2014 and still going strong. LB

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Does Wal Mart still carry the EverStart group 31 deep cycles? The biggest I see there anymore is 27s. Does anyone know if the Duracell Group 31s are on sale at Sams yet? Typically that happens this time of year. Time for a replacement set for my boat.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking for some advice on new trolling motor batteries. Got 3 years out of Odyssey (red top) batteries. Not real impressed with lifespan. Lithium batteries are not an option due to cost and need to replace on board charger in order to charge them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would go with X2 power AGM. They are made by Northstar batteries. A little pricey but they are amazing. If you do research on North Star they have proven themselves for years. Same as odyssey. Duracell AGM from Sam’s club are made by East pen and overall are decent as well. Interstate are mostly made by Johnson controls or exide. Your better off with a Walmart battery in my opinion as they are also Johnson controls…..interstate is riding off there name in my opinion same as optima..wouldn’t touch them.
I am surprised you only got 3 years out of your odyssey. Was it an extreme? I believe they have a 4 year full replacement on them like the northstar…NOT prorated. I have both North Star and odyssey and without looking I believe my odyssey is on year 8 or 9 with zero issues. The x2 is newer and hope I get the same life.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen them on there as well, they seem to never be in stock though, and I haven't seen 29s or 31s in the store.
click to order -- says pickup today. I know DL always had em. PS i have to get some I see the date on mine 15 and 90% of my fishing the trolling motor is running. 2015 baby -- its almost like the wrong sticker is on em -- but they still charge up fine and last all day. Surprising. They are walley worlds

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Wal Mart still carry the EverStart group 31 deep cycles? The biggest I see there anymore is 27s. Does anyone know if the Duracell Group 31s are on sale at Sams yet? Typically that happens this time of year. Time for a replacement set for my boat.
Usually Sam's runs battery sale pricing around national holidays. Memorial Day, Mother's/Father's Day, July 4th, etc.

hookemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually Sam's runs battery sale pricing around national holidays. Memorial Day, Mother's/Father's Day, July 4th, etc.
was there today they have the marine group 31 wet cell duracells, but not the platinum agm ones. I haven't seen the platinum AGM there in 2 years in the 31 size. They have 27 in platinum AGM. Batteries plus in Minot if you want the Platinum AGM in 31 size.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75