ML tag

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After 12 years got a ML tag. Know very little about the rifle so went to Scheels in Grand Forks. Took me over to the ML and pull down a Tradition Nitro and said this is the rifle you need.
Ended up in Bismarck at Scheels and the salesman showed me the same rifle.

At home, local gunsmith ask me to let him order and that was fine with me. Now found out this ML is not legal in ND. Call game and fish in Bismarck and guy said it will never be legal as the biggest complain they get is allowing single shot rifles to be used as a ML.

Called Tradition who stated i should of know the rules before buying. I asked him why they are having their dealer sell this rifle in ND and then not telling Scheels it is not legal in ND. He stated to keep as this ML will increase in value big. I said i bought to hunt with and not as an investment. I now have a wall hanger.

Called both Scheels. They both had no idea what i was talking about. Told both i view Scheels as the expert on these manners and i bought based on their recommendation. Life can be a bitch and yes i guess i was the stupid one and at age 74 should of known better. I assume Scheels felt okay as one said he needed to call game and fish to confirm. Told him to read rules ,like i should have.

Now i am looking for another ML. Any suggestion. db

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's frustrating. Sounds like you should have bought from Scheels instead of fondling in the store and ordering elsewhere. My experience has been that Scheels will take care of customers unlike your gunsmith.

The manufacturer also has a helpful graphic on their website that shows it isn't legal in ND.
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/nitrofire
20210804_222104.jpg

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
W/ getting tags every 15 years now I'd just look around to borrow/rent one for a season. Pretty sure I'm sitting on 2 or 3 of them that haven't been fired in a decade. Made the mistake of putting $900 into a setup 13 years ago but guess I get to look at him on the wall I suppose. :)

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
And that is the problem with the modern ML season. People get a tag and go out and buy a non-traditional ML. That fucking thing is having its powder loaded from the rear, why did you think that was OK? That is NOT a ML.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. If you are truly looking for the ML experience, might I suggest something that shoots via a cap and ball setup?
Lyman® Great Plains™ Rifle Kit | .50 Cal | Muzzle-Loaders.com

The above is what I shoot, and I LOVE it. Makes me giggle like a little school girl every time i pull the trigger.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah know all about it have borrowed out my mz so many times to friends and such not really sure if it is here or not don't really care anymore the boys and I haven't scratched a tag in years

rapala_09

Honored Member
A muzzle loader that doesn't load from the muzzle.... I hope this is never legal as a muzzle loader.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You bought a rifle not a muzzleloader, and you bought from a fly by night outfit instead of store that would stand behind you and help you out ... your fault 100%

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure where you are at DB-2 but I have a 50cal Knight Magnum in stainless steel with a 1X scope for us old guys. Its a 209 primer that fits into a little plastic disk to make it go bang and everything else that you need from powder pellets to bullets that it likes. You sure enough can use it if you want. Its been taking up room in the gun cabinet for 13 years now. I am sure it would like to kill something by now. I have taken 4 doe and 1 buck with it. The longest was 185 yards according to my buddys range finder. LB

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always get a kick out of these people that want a ML license and don't even own a ML. Then they go out and buy a ML only to use it once and it sits in the closet for another 12 years. Even though they are fun to shoot and can be used during rifle season. Biggest reason we have to wait 12 years to draw a tag now days. Everybody and their granny is applying just to get another buck tag.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same thing. I bought a muzzleloader and starting putting in for a tag. After 9 years I gave up and now I have a muzzleloader I will never use. Maybe I'll use it during rifle season one of these years.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always get a kick out of these people that want a ML license and don't even own a ML. Then they go out and buy a ML only to use it once and it sits in the closet for another 12 years. Even though they are fun to shoot and can be used during rifle season. Biggest reason we have to wait 12 years to draw a tag now days. Everybody and their granny is applying just to get another buck tag.
So nobody is allowed to apply but you?? Why do you apply? Is it not to draw a tag?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So nobody is allowed to apply but you?? Why do you apply? Is it not to draw a tag?
Yes just me :::

No I'm saying most people just want another way to shoot a buck. Just makes no sense to me to spend a bunch of money on a ML if your never going to shoot it unless you get a ND ML tag. They are fun to shoot and you can use it during rifle season too.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having a muzzleloader is akin to having a jetski, it's always there waiting for ya. And waiting..and wai..

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes just me :::

No I'm saying most people just want another way to shoot a buck. Just makes no sense to me to spend a bunch of money on a ML if your never going to shoot it unless you get a ND ML tag. They are fun to shoot and you can use it during rifle season too.

I wouldn't spend $$ to go to a concert when I can buy an artist's songs on I-tunes, but, I do have a ML for that once in a while when I draw a ND ML buck tag. Everybody has their "thing" when it comes to opening their wallet.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a ski jet 12 years ago. Change oil every year. Rode once in that time. Same with pontoon. Drove once this year. But then there are the kids and grand kids. So that is just fine and i could care less about water. My fishing rod is the one i had back in the fifties and last time used was back in the fifties catching bullheads. And all three items are paid for.

Bandcounting:

He is not a fly by night. Has his own business for years and as a sideline buys and sells guns. Good guy who pays his fair share in life.
Two scheels salesman told me this was the gun to buy. So instead of giving the business to scheels i gave it to a local guy. It's the America way.
Scheels has some fault here and i would say 100%.

As for ML tag. I have a fair amount of guns. More than most, mostly old. Over half i have never shot but have bullets for all and less at an animal. Maybe one day. Gives me a reason for tomorrow.
Plans is to buy more and now, i have two ML or i should say single shot rifles for my collection to put on the wall.

Life is fine, i enjoy and respect what others want and do. To old now to find stupid faults.

So if one has a problem with that, then FO as i have no problem with it. db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wanted to apologize to the OP, db-2. After re-reading what I wrote, I came across unnecessarily dickheaded.

On a side note, since I haven't drawn a ML tag in years, and haven't gotten any concurrent season tags lately for use in ML season, I am going to use my ML this year to fill my doe tag. That should keep me in the field for more than a couple hours this fall.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
And that is the problem with the modern ML season. People get a tag and go out and buy a non-traditional ML. That fucking thing is having its powder loaded from the rear, why did you think that was OK? That is NOT a ML.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. If you are truly looking for the ML experience, might I suggest something that shoots via a cap and ball setup?
Lyman® Great Plains™ Rifle Kit | .50 Cal | Muzzle-Loaders.com

The above is what I shoot, and I LOVE it. Makes me giggle like a little school girl every time i pull the trigger.

Always wanted to do one of these kit guns, but man oh man, the reviews in that link are scathing!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always wanted to do one of these kit guns, but man oh man, the reviews in that link are scathing!

Damn, there are a couple pretty rough reviews.

I guess I should clarify, I bought mine finished through Cabela's in Roger's, MN. Accuracy above 100 yds is not something I can do with it, but I can shoot it pretty good out to 100 yds.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen:
Nothing wrong said. (beef was with bandcounting and his 3 friends)
I agree about were ML have gone but i do not make the rules and thought i was going with the flow and trusted scheels to know what rifle was legal or not.

Just another experience for the bucket list that i could afford and one day have other family members who apply.
But this nitro will probably never get shot by me. Son said use it for the rifle season. Have not applied since 95 for a rifle whitetail permit and never will again. Got a bow and a Weatherby 300 made in 59 for mule deer. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56