Early goose season

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tungsten Super Shot is the densest shot material on the market at 18g/cc.

MM, I see Hevi shot is introducing a new waterfowl load "hevi xii" 12g/cc 25rd box,not on shelves in my area yet,but hevi x is composit tungsen like bismouth but more dense and heavier than bismuth but hevi x doesn't have the density or weight of hevi 12g/cc think it's 10.1? regardless still better than all steel loads for longer range shots

fyi

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tungsten Super Shot is the densest shot material on the market at 18g/cc.

MM, I see Hevi shot is introducing a new waterfowl load "hevi xii" 12g/cc 25rd box,not on shelves in my area yet,but hevi x is composit tungsen like bismouth but more dense and heavier than bismuth but hevi x doesn't have the density or weight of hevi 12g/cc think it's 10.1? regardless still better than all steel loads for longer range shots

fyi

Yeah it’s confusing that hevi shot is not more upfront with their densities.

Hevi metal is steel and bismuth blend ~$30 per box ( old boxes were real hevi shot)
Hevi X tungsten is only 10.1 g/cc ~$40 per box
Hevi 12 is 12g/cc ~$50 per box

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get them breasts cleaned and on ice ASAP

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I saw a crew that shot 100 of them. No way they got them all cleaned before they spoiled in those extreme temps!
Man, I hope they like eating them multiple ways. Pretty sure our heyday limits were 5 and that was a ton of delicious sticks after one good shoot.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I saw a crew that shot 100 of them. No way they got them all cleaned before they spoiled in those extreme temps!

ya the smackem boys put the hurt on. There are deer and goats being killed right now and even elk in a few days so I would hope 8 guys could clean 100 geese in a few hours should be way less.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So are my hunting friends and I out of touch because we didn’t come up with some boy band name for our group of hunters?
We don’t have a secret handshake or nothing. Closest thing we have is about 120 Busch Lights after the hunt. We are pretty old school though I guess.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't there some stupid law in ND where you can only shoot your limit of birds? I watched the video of a crew that bagged 100 birds. They were all shooting right beside each other. There's no possible way to tell who shot what. Birds are dropping and it sounds like the 4th of July. At what point can we get rid of this stupid rule.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So are my hunting friends and I out of touch because we didn’t come up with some boy band name for our group of hunters?
We don’t have a secret handshake or nothing. Closest thing we have is about 120 Busch Lights after the hunt. We are pretty old school though I guess.

if you want to make YouTube vids and get paid then go hunt all over the country I would think a cool name would help. I’m not going to lie wish I was as smart as them in my 20’s .

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quote from my late uncle and his one-of-a-kind accent that always cracked us up, "what do you guys call yourselves, team gay?"

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Quote from my late uncle and his one-of-a-kind accent that always cracked us up, "what do you guys call yourselves, team gay?"

Haha! Classic!

- - - Updated - - -

if you want to make YouTube vids and get paid then go hunt all over the country I would think a cool name would help. I’m not going to lie wish I was as smart as them in my 20’s .

Fair enough…but not my cup of tea. And if any of my buddies start doing as much high-fiving and fist bumping and hugging and all that like the guys in the YouTube videos, they are out of my group and are gonna have to go join “team gay” I guess. :) Most of those videos are hard for me to watch, I’m just gonna be honest.

I’ve got three days of hunting In the rain to look forward to this weekend with one other good buddy. Field for tomorrow is all lined up and ready to go, weather pending. Plan B is to watch it rain and drink beer…both sound pretty damn enjoyable.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any of you goose killers use the "birdie hitch?",one spring snow goose hunt several years ago the inventor of said hitch stayed at our motel in central SD along with a couple outfitters,I watched the birdie hitch guy zoom thru 136 snow geese in less than 1 hour all this while he pounded beer,impressive.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm pretty sure I know which uncle... Miss that guy!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the 100 geese sitting on a sand bank as temps creeped toward 100 degrees...I don't know what they did with them, but I'd sure hope it was in some sort of hurry-up fashion.

It's one reason I just can't get excited about the Aug. 15 opener. As temps start dropping, I'll get the itch. But it's tough getting excited when it's so hot out.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never even heard of it snow...but then again I'm not much of a waterfowl hunter...but then again most of any of my hunting trips don't end with enough birds of any kind that I need something to clean 136 in less than an hour...:)

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never even heard of it snow...but then again I'm not much of a waterfowl hunter...but then again most of any of my hunting trips don't end with enough birds of any kind that I need something to clean 136 in less than an hour...:)

This setup is slick for volume kills,following spring,same motel one outfitter had three of these things mounted on his work bench in his decoy trailer.

But for us folks that are lucky enough to scratch out a few birds,not needed unless one doesn't want to dirty they're hands.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard the hitch works amazing for ducks and smaller geese but not worth a dang for honkers. I have zero experience with this and have never purchased one because most of what I shoot is honkers. Does anyone have any input on this? Are there different models or sizes maybe and they aren’t universal for every sized bird?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard the hitch works amazing for ducks and smaller geese but not worth a dang for honkers. I have zero experience with this and have never purchased one because most of what I shoot is honkers. Does anyone have any input on this? Are there different models or sizes maybe and they aren’t universal for every sized bird?

I've heard the same about honkers; not sure if they've come out with a version for them. They do work pretty nice on snows when you are on a trip and need to keep a wing on.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Early goose season creates a major problem: Has anyone figured out how to get a good pattern through all the flies and skeeters?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76