Sak East Side Tomorrow

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Howdy!
My dad and I will be hitting the big lake tomorrow with the winds fairly low (for now).
This will be my first time out there and am debating going out of Beulah Bay or Sakakawea State Park - any recommendations? We will probably be going primarily for walleyes, but would be happy with some smallie action as well.
Any tips on presentations outside of the usual slow death/crawler setup? We got plenty of cranks, but not much for trolling setups - do we need snap weights or anything like that?

Thanks for the help - I'll try to post a report afterwards!

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
most action for walleye has been 18 to 25 ft. deep. If they are not on your electronics, move until you find them.
Good luck & take care of your dad.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
24 to 26 ft was the ticket today Slow death crawler north side straight across from Beulah bay.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Smallmouth fishing is fairly consistent all summer but it can get tougher as they move into deeper water. If the water is clear, find deeper rock piles off the points. Certain back ends of bays seem to always hold smallmouth too but it may take covering lots of water to find them this time of year. Put the trolling motor on 2 and fan cast all the rocks with plastics. If that's not exciting enough, put on a popper lure. Tube baits, Ned Heads, curly tails, buck tails, swim baits, with apropriate sized jig all work. Size matters more than color.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Pretty slow today. Put in at Beulah Bay at 7, tried the north shore right away with lots of marks anywhere 25-35ft. Hit the south shore next and got one 20” walleye and two small smallies. We didn’t see or hear of anyone getting on them (feel free to contradict me with your own report!). My guess is that the sun, heat, and stillness made it tough. Either that or we’re just bad at fishing �� or both
Thanks for the help!

wales

Founding Member
Founding Member
didn't fish today but a windless day on Sak can be slow.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish were hungry early on the south shore, we had our limit by 1030. They weren't hanging themselves like yesterday, allot of nibler/peckers, had to kind of feed them. That and they were all over the place as far as depth, seemed to slide in and out allot.
Must have been a tough bite for most as the parking lot at Dakota waters was still packed at 430 pm, had to have been a scorcher out there!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had 2 great days of action ( Friday and Saturday morning) way north into the van hook arm yet. Lots of marks, lots of bait fish still puking smelt up in the livewell. Best takers were in that 22-25ft but lots of marks 30+ But it seemed the bulk of the active fish were in that 22-25 ft like I mentioned before

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62