Does this type of training collar exist?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As I was working with my dog today I thought to myself...

How nice would it be to have a collar with a beep option that you could set for a certain distance so that it beeps when the collar (and the dog wearing it) is a certain distance from the remote (and the hunter wearing it).

For example, you could set it for 20 yards and every time the dog gets 20 yards away from the trainer or hunter, the collar beeps without any button pushing at all.

Can any of you tell me if a collar like this already exists? I can't find anything like it online but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dirty

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I've run across one that will do that. The Garmin Alpha series will let you see on the handheld how far and the direction to your dog on a map, but as far as alarming you when it goes past a certain distance while hunting, I don't know of a collar that does that.

With the Alpha what you can do is setup a GPS based perimeter to where the remote will alarm if the dog goes outside of an established boundary. I use this feature when visiting my parents as a "poor man's electronic dog fence". Once it alarms, I know to pick up the remote to see where he is in relation to where I want him. I will then beep him and he knows when his collar beeps, it's time to find me.

My Alpha is now 7 yrs old and still a going.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't want the collar to tell me where the dog is, I want the timely beep to tell the dog he/she just passed the acceptable range and is now out too far without any button pushing on my part. Dog goes past the set range => collar beeps => dog circles back in. My hands remain on the gun the whole time and everyone is happy. :)

I've never come across this but the idea struck me today while working with my dog in prep of the season. She responds very well to the beep and it makes her circle back in. However, when in thick cover, tall cover, trees, etc. I sometimes don't know if she's 15 feet away or 45 feet or farther. She is small and in those circumstances she can't see me and I can't see her and I don't like to push any buttons if I'm not sure the time is right.

The set up I have imagined would take the guesswork out of it and would always signal at the right time.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know if a collar that does that. If I can’t see or think he has got to far out I whistle him back in and then resend to quarter at the appropriate distance. Be an idea to throw a companies way maybe they would start making one

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think what we are discovering, once again, is that the gear we take to the field is often not designed by people with like interests.

Truth is, I'd buy the collar Dirty describes as well. It pisses me off if I have to carry the damn remote in my hand and I'm more worried about where the dog is than I am if a bird gets up ahead of me. Which seems to be the case the farther we get into the damn day.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A friend of mine thinks he has seen a collar like this but it may be from a rather obscure company. I’m gonna try to track one down and if I can I will post the info here.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lot of dogs and use the garmin alpha collars myself. I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum as I want my dogs going a long ways from me hunting and waiting at the tree for me. My issue has been losing collar signal past 900 yards at times. The alpha says up to 9 miles but I’ve never seen my collars show the signal past about 1500 yards. Maybe I need to update my handheld and collars…

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Enslow, is your collar more like what Allen was describing above (dog tracking collar) or more like what I’m describing? I few folks have mentioned Garmin collars to me but I can’t seem to find one with the right description.

thanks.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty, sounds like he's running the same collar as I use with my dog. I've never tested the 9 miles part (they admit that would be basically out on the Salt Flats of Utah). But I know it's good for over a mile in heavy cover.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow, is your collar more like what Allen was describing above (dog tracking collar) or more like what I’m describing? I few folks have mentioned Garmin collars to me but I can’t seem to find one with the right description.

thanks.

I have two types of collars one without tone and shock and collars with tone and shock. If I’m running competitive then you have to use the collar with just gps. For hunting I use the tone and shock. The tone works really good and I only shock if something serious like a porcupine. There are so many options with these collars and GPS systems now that I’m sure you can find what you are looking for. Personally I wouldn’t want any automatic tones to ever be used because the timing of the tone could potentially confuse a dog if they are on a track. In my world, I use the collars to show me location of the dog and barks when it’s windy or when they are to far to hear.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lot of dogs and use the garmin alpha collars myself. I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum as I want my dogs going a long ways from me hunting and waiting at the tree for me. My issue has been losing collar signal past 900 yards at times. The alpha says up to 9 miles but I’ve never seen my collars show the signal past about 1500 yards. Maybe I need to update my handheld and collars…

I'm just curious what you are hunting? Quail? Not sure a sharp tail grouse would hold long enough for me to walk 100 yards much less a half mile. Can't imagine ever bagging a pheasant.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
When’s the last time you waited at a tree for a bird?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha a dog waits at tree lol…

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When’s the last time you waited at a tree for a bird?

- - - Updated - - -

Haha a dog waits at tree lol…

what kind of hounds do you run. I went with a redbone pheasant hunting and the other dogs didn’t know what to do when he went to howling while flushing birds. He retrieved pretty damn good to.

★ Legendary Member
I trained my GSP with the dogtra T&B. I know you said you don't want to push a button to have the dog turn back, but I connect mine to the top of my vest and only have to slide my hand several inches to the button then back to the gun. It also has a locator setting where it will randomly beep to allow you to know where your dog is when hunting tall/thick cover. My dog will not return to me when on the setting....its like he knows when he is out a little too far as well. Good luck in your search.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the vibrate setting on my dogtra that does the trick most of the time when she gets out a little far, so no electricity has to be used on her very often. I have thought a lot about being able to have the button on the gun somehow so it could be pressed easier than reaching for the remote all the time. Never thought about having one that automatically toned or vibrated at a certain range. Seems like something that could be designed and I know I would probably get one if something hit the market.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogtra 1900s has a hands frees button that you can use the Velcro strap around your hand . I don’t know if you can use vibrate with it as I never use vibrate.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmmm,our pup's (flusher's) learn quick,young pup's that range tone or nick outside of gun range once or twice done deal,remote for collar on my lanyard,easy to grab if needed and drop it on a quick flush,good thought tho dirty,but like most programing items.more shit to go wrong down the road,all electronic's.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My biggest reason I would love a setup like this is for when I can’t see the dog and she can’t see me. A good portion of the time we hunt I can’t see her to be honest. She’s small so she goes under the cattails and tall cover, unlike my labs which just plow through it. I’m gonna keep searching as I have not found a collar like this yet. I’m also going to work on a prototype!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79