New area, new challenge

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the first time since 2002, I'm rifle hunting in a unit I've never hunted before. I picked up a leftover doe tag in a zone that was the closest to home.

I've hunted near the area before for ducks and pheasants, but it's been years. My thought process is to make a challenge out of it by archery hunting some public land in October and, hopefully, finding a good area to set up shop for gun season.

If I connect on a deer with my bow in the meantime, that's a bonus.

I'm hoping to do a couple weekend camps. Drive out Friday evening and sleep in my truck. Hunt/scout Saturday and maybe Sunday morning before going back home.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to doing something new. It's refreshing to think about getting out of my comfort zone. I doubt I'll ever stop applying for my normal area deer tag, but if I find success here this year, it'll be nice to have some of the legwork done for an easy Second Choice location.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m trying a bunch of new things this year! Utah archery tag in a couple weeks. Kansas archery, Missouri archery, Oklahoma gun tag. Excited to put a pile of miles on come November!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's great to hear others are doing similar things! I've been practicing with my grandpa's recurve all summer. I have a real hankering to take that with me the first few times, just in case I can get within 20 yards of a deer and send an old Bear broadhead its direction. Easily would be the highlight of my hunting career to accomplish that.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duck, There is a special satisfaction of harvesting a deer with a recurve/longbow, Bear RHs, feather fletch, and cedar shafts! My hat off to you, and best of success!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting a tag in a new unit can be exciting as it gives you reason to explore new territory!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
spend my nights trying to keep warm in metal boxcars…

- - - Updated - - -

eating meals prepared in an old toaster oven…

- - - Updated - - -

woe is me

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good luck to all of you guys!

I accidentally put in for the wrong unit on a western Nebraska antelope tag several years ago. I didn't think I would get a tag anyway because I didn't have very many points...well you know Murphy's Law...I ended up drawing a tag and that is when I realized I got the wrong unit. Spent the next couple months scrambling around trying to find a rancher to let my hunt. Worked out in the end and ended up going back a couple more times. Also because of it I met a rancher who I now consider a close friend!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be sleeping in my big bed with my beautiful wife, then waking up and driving the 15 minutes to my hunting grounds.

It is a struggle

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79