.40 vs .10 Bear "Defense"

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good shot placement and small bear. If that was a large bear and run at you instead of away how much damage coukd he do in 20 seconds?

I hear Glocks don't shoot lead bullets well, but forget the reason why. Anyone remember?

Seriously, at 20-odd feet, what kind of accuracy are you worried about?

Sub hour of accuracy seems adequate, screw sub MOA.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously, at 20-odd feet, what kind of accuracy are you worried about?

Sub hour of accuracy seems adequate, screw sub MOA.

I'm not sure accuracy was the issue. I simply remember there was an issue that coukd be solved with an after market barrel. That does sound like an accuracy issue. If I owned a 10mm I would like to shoot it often an te only way I can afford that is my own cast bullets. I shot 2000 rounds of 9mm this winter. Still a Glock is tempting because the Sig cost more than I am willing to spend. I know there are others, but the Glock and the Sig represent the cheap and the best. Buuuuut then the Glock would be lighter to carry and still goes bang. Buuuut only an accurate gun is worth having. Decisions decisions. Maybe a barrel for my 1911. Nah I'll stick with the 44. Maybe. Most likely. I think so today. Tomorrow?????

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good shot placement and small bear. If that was a large bear and run at you instead of away how much damage coukd he do in 20 seconds?

I hear Glocks don't shoot lead bullets well, but forget the reason why. Anyone remember?

not a small bear but a grizz or brown can kill you after a eye or ear shot within 5 seconds,they don't just drop.

This is a knarly boar that attacked whilst walking a dog along the kenai river neighborhood,.456 wheel saved this man,his quick draw placed chest rds,he told me as the bear charged(rear sneak attack),he started firing within 10' by the time he herd the charge,took two steps back as the dead bear's momentem would've surely took him out.
Warden figured bear was after the man's dog,as the bear was old and under nurished,missing teeth,in rough shape.

bear.jpg

Last edited:

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pretty sure it has to do with really bad lead fouling with the rifling of their barrels. Glock barrels are easy enough to change out for an aftermarket I think

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Concerning the .40 bear kill I was a bit astonished at the violence and authority from the exit wound.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
250px-HK_AGCEGLM.jpg
Would something like this work out a bear?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty sure it has to do with really bad lead fouling with the rifling of their barrels. Glock barrels are easy enough to change out for an aftermarket I think

Stock Glock's have hexagonal rifling which gives a couple more fps. When I look down a stock Glock bbl I don't believe the lands would provide enough purchase to spin HC bullets. I've also probably read this. Anyways, looking down a stock bbl; I would describe the bullet's journey as relaxing and pleasurable.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talking with a law enforcement armored and trainer he said with some factory ammo they have had bullets tumble and enter the target sideways as close as 15 yards with Glocks, and only Glocks. That would completely destroy penetration. Yes yes I know in a bear charge situation the bear better be closer or you will spend time in hoosegow. However at what distance is penetration beginning to degrade?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75