.40 vs .10 Bear "Defense"

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe I'd choose an auto over wheel. If I won the lottery I'd be swinging an AMP along with my other prize gear. (penis)

https://youtu.be/SpYqz7EVZ-0

WARNING: Lots of "Bob Ross" blah blah blah and obvious fear (?!) of recoil or de-tox shakes. Gun may be had with shorter bbls. Rds can be rolled from '06 etc. Guy has a cool hat:

https://youtu.be/GsKY61BVGrY

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe I'd choose an auto over wheel. If I won the lottery I'd be swinging an AMP along with my other prize gear. (penis)

https://youtu.be/SpYqz7EVZ-0

WARNING: Lots of "Bob Ross" blah blah blah and obvious fear (?!) of recoil or de-tox shakes. Gun may be had with shorter bbls. Rds can be rolled from '06 etc. Guy has a cool hat:

https://youtu.be/GsKY61BVGrY
how dare you post this on here!!! A few weeks ago there was a bear defense post, and it was decided by the “experts” that you were only to carry a can of bear spray and a fucking whistle.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same dilemma after someone told me that I need to carry a can of bear spray and a whistle over a .357, .44mag or 45 long colt. I’m not sure how to handle that.

no such dilemma here. I'd carry them all if I thought I needed them.

And I probably do. I'm pretty sure both my kids have been able to outrun me for at least the past couple of years. Getting old and slow may suck, but I try to make up for it with a pair of iron clappers. It's odd how little injuries seem to be much less painful nowadays, but flipping someone the bird aggravates the hell out of arthritis in the phalanges.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen I have nothing but respect for you. You always stray me from my one-sided mindset ways and help me to see the other side of thinking. You sir are a true scholar and gentleman and I’ll always look for your guidance in the future. All bullshit aside.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, thanks for the kind words.

I guess when I am in bear country, I am just always cognizant of reality. When it comes to a bitch-slapping contest with a bear, I plan on cheating.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put a damn period in front of "10".

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Led Zep guy rested the bbl instead of the yoke on the rest. Retarded.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, thanks for the kind words.

I guess when I am in bear country, I am just always cognizant of reality. When it comes to a bitch-slapping contest with a bear, I plan on cheating.[/QUOTE
you truly earned my respect!! I’m a self opinionated asshole who thanks everyone else is stupid for not having my believes, but I’m not close minded enough to think nobody else is smarter than me. You sir are smarter than me, and I tip my simple cowboy knowing hat to you, knowing full well that you have me beat. But In knowing that, I can still outride you and out rope you, and am not going to feel bad about eithe.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For an honest-to-goodness Grizz protection handgun I'd nab a Glock 10MM and the hardest hard-cast lead projectiles I could find.

While I grew up shooting High Standard rim-fire semi-auto pistols and have a soft-spot for same, I'd not ever entertain the idea of carrying the AutoMag for so much as a doe tag let alone a defense situation.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just be one with nature.

Tell the bear you're his friend and everything will be ok.

Grizzly Adams did it....

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best advice I’ve ever heard for a handgun in bear country is always save one cartridge

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be calling bear for my oldest grandson the second week of October. Spray on my belt on the left side, and old reliable will rest in a chest rig. I'll have a Creedmoor with in the more open country hoping a wolf showes up. I like semi auto, but I like the reliability of the revolver and double the energy. A 310 mold with enough antimony to kick out a 300gr bullet pushed to between 1250 and 1300 fps let's one enjoy grizz country more.

I did convert my Kimber 1911 to a 45 super. It only takes a 26 lb recoi spring, a shorter barrel link, and a non radiased firing pin lock plate. I thought I would need a new barrel with full chamber support, but when visiting a custom shop they convinced me otherwise. I have no case bulg with a 200 gr hard cast at 1260 fps. I could perhaps go further, but I stopped there. I'm not sure why, but that's my most accurate load. Perhaps because the pressure fully obiturates the bullet. Anyway the 705 ft/lb of energy partially quelled the constant desire for a 10mm. I dont need a reason to want another gun do I? My mother was always telling me the boogyman was gona get me. Ya that's it a 10mm for the boogyman.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hope I'm not a queer.

LOL, I'm a full blowin lesbo ....honest.:cool:

My first year as a resident in Alaska,I was convinced by an Alaskan trooper (also game warden) to park my .44 for two reasons,#1 to bulky in the bush# 2 consider the .357 for penetration.

other than a sawed off sxs 10ga/oobuck for our camp gun never carried another handgun after that first year,we used "Mace" to cover our scent whilst we fished in bear country where fresh scat was still steaming along the streams we fished,must admitt had times when having my shoulder holster filled would've been nice,one get's the hair on they're neck up walking streams lined with thick willow bushes that are moving.

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For an honest-to-goodness Grizz protection handgun I'd nab a Glock 10MM and the hardest hard-cast lead projectiles I could find.

While I grew up shooting High Standard rim-fire semi-auto pistols and have a soft-spot for same, I'd not ever entertain the idea of carrying the AutoMag for so much as a doe tag let alone a defense situation.

I would carry the AutoMag for blacktail, eland and tiger.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me. Skip to 12:50 and stop after the recovery:

https://youtu.be/nOEHYgWtWmw

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good shot placement and small bear. If that was a large bear and run at you instead of away how much damage coukd he do in 20 seconds?

I hear Glocks don't shoot lead bullets well, but forget the reason why. Anyone remember?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69