Got Doves?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be spending the opener north of Killdeer this year - getting my deer blinds and deer feeders ready. ;:;rofl

Can anybody tell me if it's worth dragging the dove gear west for the long holiday weekend? I've never attempted finding shootable numbers of doves so far west.

Good luck this week dove hunters - wherever you shoot. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dove Gear = Shotgun + A shitload of 8 shot

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

you don't know guywholikesgeartoomuch very well do you?

I live on the eastern edge of easy/good dove hunting habitat - you either have to get lucky or use a "big spread" here in the Lake Agassiz desert

- - - Updated - - -

special swivel and shoot dove hunting chairs, Royce's dove cushion, decoys, a grove of artificial trees (they're all gone here in the valley), a canopy for taking breaks in the shade, special dove hunting vests, shooting blinds, etc.

and bungie cords - lots of them

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member

From September 1 through about January 10, I never go anywhere without a shotgun and a shitload of shells for any type of bird that flies. You just never know what you might stumble upon and it’s not worth the risk of being unprepared. I’ve had some pretty good hunts wearing sandals and street clothes, but haven’t had many good ones without a gun and ammo!!!

Guy, my advice is to pack your dove gear!

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes - I will be dragging my dove stuff and probably trolling HWY 200 instead of I-94.

I was mostly asking to get a feel for my schedule and what other stuff I will be taking. And to mess with people and get some interest in this thread. Vollmer pays better when I do.

I have more tasks out west than I do time - so I'm trying to get a feel for how much of my time might be taken up chasing doves as opposed to cutting firewood, messing with game cameras, tending to blinds, building super secret deer habitat improvements, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - how much bacon, jalapenos and cream cheese do I need to take with? :D

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got quite a few doves. Look for water near a grain field. They come to my stock pond mostly mornings and evenings.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just about every stock pond has been re-dug around here so they will be good hunting around them. Now I have to see if my license is good for wasting a few boxes of shells, just because I can. LB

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been seeing BIG numbers up in the NE. Shouldn’t be hard to pop 20 of ‘em.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
How sweet would that online posting map be if it could show what crops are being grown, harvested, etc. Set to canola and go.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to Abilene texas about 20 years ago for dove opener, texans are nuts about doves allot like deer opener.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
How sweet would that online posting map be if it could show what crops are being grown, harvested, etc. Set to canola and go.

Eek, now that's just one too damn slippery slope for laziness and asking for a crowd. Like where the hot bite is or where the barley fields for waterfowl are.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those little suckers do seem to bail out early. We've had a few decent hunts around grouse opener but Labor Day is usually the gold mine. Set under a tree in the shade, a few decoys out, and just enjoy the afternoon. Good times!

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just about every stock pond has been re-dug around here so they will be good hunting around them. Now I have to see if my license is good for wasting a few boxes of shells, just because I can. LB

LB you either hoarded a bunch of shotgun ammo or got lucky finding some on shelves in your area,goodluck this weekend.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a couple cases #8 shot 10 years ago and still have a case or so left between a little dove hunting and gopher dissmisel. I like the soft recoil. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, tomorrow's the big day. Thanks for the informative responses guys. Sooper helpful.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77