guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have often thought to myself that they probably make great poppers

blackbirds for sure I bet

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is old news but August 15th we were on tour. Took the East River Road out of Medora in a big loop. The 2 mile trail that went over to Initial Rock had quite a few coveys of doves which was somewhat surprising as we didn't see any until that trail. I'm sure we saw a 100 or more in that short trail.
Never leave your shotgun at home!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, tomorrow's the big day. Thanks for the informative responses guys. Sooper helpful.

All those little towns out west seem to have a bunch of Eurasian Collards. Might want the pellet gun for those;-)

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a bowl full of breasts in the fridge. Going to marinate them tomorrow, wrap in bacon, grill and enjoy with a good bottle of wine! Yum!

bilbo

Honored Member
My son and I tried our hand at this today. Figured it was something we could do while we are supposed to stay away from others. Tried hanging out by some sunflower fields and water holes but no luck yet. We will be trying again tomorrow.

bilbo

Honored Member
Well my son talked me into trying one more spot. We walked back into some PLOTS land a little bit and saw a couple jump out of some bare black dirt in a big grassy area between cornfields, so we set up our decoys and waited. If my aim was a bit more true we could have had quite a few, but we only bagged one.

That was fun, they kind of buzzed in from all directions. Once we sort of figured things out we could kind of watch them come in. But then we would get focused on a couple coming in and then some others would suddenly bust over our heads from a different direction! Flushed three bonus sharptails on the way back to the pickup, but I had an empty gun. I was happy we were able to spend that time together and Sam's pretty stoked to try again tomorrow. He has to finish some homework though. A good motivator for him to get that done!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my son talked me into trying one more spot. We walked back into some PLOTS land a little bit and saw a couple jump out of some bare black dirt in a big grassy area between cornfields, so we set up our decoys and waited. If my aim was a bit more true we could have had quite a few, but we only bagged one.

That was fun, they kind of buzzed in from all directions. Once we sort of figured things out we could kind of watch them come in. But then we would get focused on a couple coming in and then some others would suddenly bust over our heads from a different direction! Flushed three bonus sharptails on the way back to the pickup, but I had an empty gun. I was happy we were able to spend that time together and Sam's pretty stoked to try again tomorrow. He has to finish some homework though. A good motivator for him to get that done!

Grouse season doesn't open until the 11th.

bilbo

Honored Member
Damn good thing I had an empty gun then, I thought it opened on the 4th. Thank you for clarifying.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How I hunt Doves Find a water source between feeding grounds and trees with some dead branches in them. Hunt the last two hours of the day. Decoys if you got them will really help. Lost of shells. If you are hunting with someone sit back to back and keep your head on a 180 degree swivel. Eat what you harvest. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80