20 Gauge

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried to order some from Rogers today. They put me on a "will notify when available" list.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
People need to stop hoarding ammo. It's gotten ridiculous. All stores should only allow 2 boxes per caliber a day.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No problem...you obviously need it. Common sense is sure hard to find isn't it?

Common sense like not leaving seemingly important purchasing decisions until the last minute?

Or, common sense whereby some folks have taken advantage of off-season clearance sales for years or perhaps decades?

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand people picking up things when sales. I do. What I don't understand is when some go to a store in a hoarding panic and buy up a shelf. And....keep doing it. There are some out there that have thousands upon thousands of rounds in their safe yet the OPs son can't find a 20g shell to teach him how to shoot. That's common sense. You know as well as I that very few will live long enough to fire the amount of ammo they have stocked up. That's why I favor the 2 box per rule day. Can come in 10 days in a row if like but this way others have a chance to get piece of pie. At least during these weird times. Ammo manufacturers said that they are putting out quite a bit of ammo. The problem is panic buying by consumers.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Common sense like not leaving seemingly important purchasing decisions until the last minute?

Or, common sense whereby some folks have taken advantage of off-season clearance sales for years or perhaps decades?

I am pretty sure he means common sense like; sighting in deer rifle at 11:30am on opening day

...wait I mean he/she/it ... don't want to offend anyone # LGBTQQIP2SAA

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand people picking up things when sales. I do. What I don't understand is when some go to a store in a hoarding panic and buy up a shelf. And....keep doing it. There are some out there that have thousands upon thousands of rounds in their safe yet the OPs son can't find a 20g shell to teach him how to shoot. That's common sense. You know as well as I that very few will live long enough to fire the amount of ammo they have stocked up. That's why I favor the 2 box per rule day. Can come in 10 days in a row if like but this way others have a chance to get piece of pie. At least during these weird times. Ammo manufacturers said that they are putting out quite a bit of ammo. The problem is panic buying by consumers.

Maybe we should institute a FOID card like they do in IL. You need the card to purchase ammo and firearms. You could eliminate hoarding by not allowing folks to purchase more that 2 boxes/day total, not driving to every shop they can find and buying up what they can afford.

Even better, FOID card and a 1-box limit.

Where do you draw the line?

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a good point SDMF. That's goes back to my first comment..common sense. If buyers just use a little with also a little restraint we may be in a better place.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing that I like about shortages? Watching the good in people come out. He was offered shells by a few people and that is awesome to see.

I too was caught with my pants down with 20ga (never owned one until I bought one for my oldest last year) and came up short for my sons first trap season. It was amazing to see how many people were willing to help. You get to see true colors, the best and the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for the record, I've be stocking up any chance I get now. Don't want my son to miss out on anything!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shitty part about this you knew you had Covid, you have very little symptoms but now are added to the dreaded number they use against us all the time.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Problem with 2 boxes is i need to buy for me and my son and we can shoot up alot more than that missing doves. I bought a case of #2 black cloud at scheels and that might get us through the waterfowl/pheasant season but then snow goose can eat alot up really fast. At 10 bucks a box for trap loads the old mec jr is getting busted out.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem with 2 boxes is i need to buy for me and my son and we can shoot up alot more than that missing doves. I bought a case of #2 black cloud at scheels and that might get us through the waterfowl/pheasant season but then snow goose can eat alot up really fast. At 10 bucks a box for trap loads the old mec jr is getting busted out.

Honests questions- Do you have a bunch of components stored up? If not, are you actually able to buy them, and if so how does the cost really compare? Only reason I ask is I just got rid of my old Bair progressive last year. Was worn out but I could still battle through and make some shells. But, I ran a 20 year supply of components out and it simply didn't pencil out to load, even at $6.50 a box. Curious if it is any different now. I actually really enjoyed pulling the handle.....progressive presses are awesome!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honests questions- Do you have a bunch of components stored up? If not, are you actually able to buy them, and if so how does the cost really compare? Only reason I ask is I just got rid of my old Bair progressive last year. Was worn out but I could still battle through and make some shells. But, I ran a 20 year supply of components out and it simply didn't pencil out to load, even at $6.50 a box. Curious if it is any different now. I actually really enjoyed pulling the handle.....progressive presses are awesome!

I really don’t know if you bought all new but at 10 dollars a box for dove loads I would think it would after a few loads on a shell. My dad and father in law had a bunch of hulls, wads and shot so I don’t have to buy that. I bought a cooler full of stuff from a guy with a brick of 209 primers a brick of large and small rifle primers for 20 bucks so that worked out well. I know a bag of 8 shot is 44 dollars my brother just bought one. I wouldn’t be loading either but have to out of necessity.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I came across some 12 gauge target load, I would probably buy 5 cases. Might seem like hoarding to some, but when you factor in me, my three kids, and a couple nephews and their dad (brother in law) who use my guns and shoot my shells, doesn't take long to blow through 500 shells.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right!?! The son and I went through roughly 10-11 cases of target loads this summer. Having a case or two on hand is only a couple weeks of shooting for us in the summer. Hell, AFTER spring trap league, we went through well over 6 cases just shooting sporting clays this year.

Tell you what, though...both the boy and I improved significantly this summer. Nothing replaces trigger time when it comes to bettering your shooting!

Damnit anyways....

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We haven't even shot this summer. Usually have 5+ cases on hand. Now, have about 8 boxes. If it's just me and my boys, that's 2 boxes apiece. Done before you're even getting started.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really don’t know if you bought all new but at 10 dollars a box for dove loads I would think it would after a few loads on a shell. My dad and father in law had a bunch of hulls, wads and shot so I don’t have to buy that. I bought a cooler full of stuff from a guy with a brick of 209 primers a brick of large and small rifle primers for 20 bucks so that worked out well. I know a bag of 8 shot is 44 dollars my brother just bought one. I wouldn’t be loading either but have to out of necessity.

Sounds like the same setup I had when I loaded a lot. Then I ran out of components! That and shells were still $40/case. I see lots of Top Gun target loads on the shelves now. Everything is right at that $100-110/case. Sucks. Did find a hot deal at Walmart on 4 packs but they will only go so far.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
People need to stop hoarding ammo. It's gotten ridiculous. All stores should only allow 2 boxes per caliber a day.

So, say a guy is going prairie dog hunting for 3-5 days. Not uncommon to shoot 300 rounds a day if they are plentiful, or if they are not and you are taking ridiculously long shots because you have nothing better to do...at 2 boxes a day (assuming 50-rd rimfire boxes), you have to go to the store every day for two weeks and hope you can get two boxes each day? If you find 1500 rounds of 17 HMR or WSM online and order them, might not be hoarding.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw above about the obtainability of 16ga ammo:

Search out 16ga guns. It is the only true gauge and properly adorned by Federal in Royal Purple. The 20 bore is a light vile tube which digests yellow cartridges and has the potential to exceed a 12ga in felt recoil with less downrange benefit. The 3in 20ga hull is an abomination. I would avoid the 870 and 1100 as IMO they were mistakenly (per usual Remington) built on 12ga frames. Target shooters may appreciate the added weight but sadly the Sweet 16 is no longer viable for official skeet and trap matches (I know that's plagiarized).

Carrying like a 20 and hitting like a 12 is her beauty which has been raped. She needs to be on a true 16 frame for her majesty to be appreciated.

My suggestion is to seek SXS double guns, Browning A-5's and Winchester Mod 97/12's. Others are available for large jack. Chambers may/will likely need be converted from 2 9/16 to 2 3/4. WinSteel Mod 12's are factory 2 3/4 but seem heavier; lacking the handiness of older Nickel Steel versions.

I've twice fucked up by not buying an A-5 Belgian Browning Sweet 16 on site. They point like 1911's or non-bullshit sized Glocks. I was worried about "salt wood" and dark wrists. I've since learned of acetone.

Full discloser: I have a resto-mod M-12 16 Nickel Steel. It carries like a BB gun, will blow the bottom out of a bucket at 40yds and will comprise the bond between molar and jawbone. It's seriously like a .30 mag with 1 1/8oz loads. Sad it won't digest steel. It's all turkey/late season upland.

I'm not sure what this means. Is it about jail? LMAO--holy shit...

https://youtu.be/vib9VMA0v-w

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74