OnX ???

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anyone using OnX:

1. Can you use Apple CarPlay/Android-Auto and mirror it onto an in-dash nav screen?
2. Does OnX "keep up" @ highway speeds running live without downloading maps and running off-line?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I asked that very question to OnX support.

[FONT=&quot]onX Support (onX)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aug 27, 2021, 12:46 PM MDT[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out, I am happy to help. Currently we do not have in- car navigation available. However, we are in the process of developing that feature for our onX offroad app. Our engineering team is working hard on this and we will notify customers when this feature becomes available. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out. Have a great rest of your day.
Thanks! -
onX Support

[/FONT]

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked that very question to OnX support.

onX Support (onX)
Aug 27, 2021, 12:46 PM MDT
Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out, I am happy to help. Currently we do not have in- car navigation available. However, we are in the process of developing that feature for our onX offroad app. Our engineering team is working hard on this and we will notify customers when this feature becomes available. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out. Have a great rest of your day.
Thanks! -
onX Support

Much appreciated. @ 11yrs old, I'm getting a few electrical gremlins in my pickup. One of them is that the lights on the radio no longer work, so, I was considering a new head-unit w/nav, looks like whether I do that or not, I'm still gonna have the Nuvi stuck to the windshield for a while.

Shotstring

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF, does the onx chip work in your nuvi? I asked onx and they could not guarantee that it would work.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Much appreciated. @ 11yrs old, I'm getting a few electrical gremlins in my pickup. One of them is that the lights on the radio no longer work, so, I was considering a new head-unit w/nav, looks like whether I do that or not, I'm still gonna have the Nuvi stuck to the windshield for a while.

I would have took you to be much older. :;:smokin

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Take your radio out and take it to Julies radio ranch. She will fix it for about 75.00. That what she charged me a few yrs ago.

- - - Updated - - -

it works in mine,
i use both the phone and garmin auto one

Did you put the OnX chip/SD card in your radio/navigation reader and it worked?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF - to answer question #2, yes it keeps up. I've never had lag in "live" mode while driving at speed.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just have the basic downloaded get the electronic posting but no plots. Sucks, shows you moving but the screen doesn't scroll with you as you move. Does it with the paid chip ?
G&F download doesn't scroll either. Can only get one or the other on screen at a time, Either electronic or plots map only, unless I'm missing something ( which maybe entirely possible)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just have the basic downloaded get the electronic posting but no plots. Sucks, shows you moving but the screen doesn't scroll with you as you move. Does it with the paid chip ?
G&F download doesn't scroll either. Can only get one or the other on screen at a time, Either electronic or plots map only, unless I'm missing something ( which maybe entirely possible)

Chips are a thing of the past dont think they even make them any more. You should be able to turn both the layers on at the same time in the layer settings. No it will not scroll with you

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chips are a thing of the past dont think they even make them any more. You should be able to turn both the layers on at the same time in the layer settings. No it will not scroll with you
Thanks, I'll have to try it again to add both layers but couldn't get it to happen yesterday. The non- scroll sucks.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought an iPad two years ago just for running maps in my pickup while hunting. OnX will keep up while driving but iPad must be in vertical position. It’s like having a lake map on your screen in your boat only it’s for hunting, I really like it

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought an iPad two years ago just for running maps in my pickup while hunting. OnX will keep up while driving but iPad must be in vertical position. It’s like having a lake map on your screen in your boat only it’s for hunting, I really like it

That's what I was hoping to accomplish with an in-dash nav unit.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you have internet service to your ipad?

I have an old Gen 2 ipad. I wonder if I could screen share from my iphone to the ipad? Not sure if the processor is good enough on the old ipad. Dont really want to buy more data.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you have internet service to your ipad?

I have an old Gen 2 ipad. I wonder if I could screen share from my iphone to the ipad? Not sure if the processor is good enough on the old ipad. Dont really want to buy more data.

Should be able to download the maps and run it off-line I'd think. GPS is GPS, you don't need a data plan for the GPS to work.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be able to download the maps and run it off-line I'd think. GPS is GPS, you don't need a data plan for the GPS to work.
Ya, that would probably work. Hadn't thought of that. For the most part a guy knows the relative area you will be hunting in. Just download big blocks of the state. Might have to give it a whirl. Now what kind of affordable mounts do they make for hands free ipad use? I'm sure there is a whole bunch of chinese junk on amazon related to that.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now what kind of affordable mounts do they make for hands free ipad use?

Which is the other reason for my original question. Apple CarPlay/Android Car on an in-dash nav screen would make life SO MUCH simpler.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75