Pelicans Feeding

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen a bunch of pelicans feeding the past few days. Had the time today to get a video. (I'll post it soon)

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/rSQulSBgSG8

- - - Updated - - -

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
did you know their beak can hold more than their belly can?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

There now it worked. There was a group of a dozen off of the main huge flock. They were in a circle, then would all swim together and at same time, stick heads under.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/Q-ZIeJZxfzQ

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone seen a baby pelican? I have never.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting thought , I never have either .

Dalmatian-Pelican-Chick.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

did you know their beak can hold more than their belly can?

I'd be damned if I knew how he hell-ican.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have worked banding young onthe Islands of Chase Lake. They nest on the shore since the island flooded. It's a stench since their main food item is salamanders. You learn fast to carry them sideways because the moment you pick them up they squirter out of both ends like you turned on a hose. Digested salamander out one end and half digested out the other end. Also wear knee high boots because in the colony is a foot deep crap and dead baby pelicans. They normally have two young, but only one usually survives. The most aggressive gets most of the food and if the weak one doesn't starve fast enough the stronger will eventually kill it.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have worked banding young onthe Islands of Chase Lake. They nest on the shore since the island flooded. It's a stench since their main food item is salamanders. You learn fast to carry them sideways because the moment you pick them up they squirter out of both ends like you turned on a hose. Digested salamander out one end and half digested out the other end. Also wear knee high boots because in the colony is a foot deep crap and dead baby pelicans. They normally have two young, but only one usually survives. The most aggressive gets most of the food and if the weak one doesn't starve fast enough the stronger will eventually kill it.

Interesting PG, thanx for sharing your insight.Here I thought the cormmerants were the worst of shit birds.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look in a pelicans pouch once and you will see the biggest lice you will ever see. Most often you think oof lice as small, but pouch lice must be a quarter inch long. I have seen up to 50 in a Pelican pouch all lined up and facing outward.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Look in a pelicans pouch once and you will see the biggest lice you will ever see. Most often you think oof lice as small, but pouch lice must be a quarter inch long. I have seen up to 50 in a Pelican pouch all lined up and facing outward.

ISHTA,makes me scratch just the visual thought. Like talking about ticks,I'll start scratching like crazy talking about ticks.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many pounds of fish does a pelican eat in a day??

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would hazard a guess that they are chasing young of the year pike and walleye up in those cut off meanders, etc.

I've live trapped baby walleye and pike at the end of summer before up in the shallows.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
im just wondering what they are eating, because that spot isn't more than 2-3 ft deep and i assumed nothing survived the summer in there

- - - Updated - - -

There now it worked. There was a group of a dozen off of the main huge flock. They were in a circle, then would all swim together and at same time, stick heads under.

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/Q-ZIeJZxfzQ

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frogs, or salamanders??

- - - Updated - - -

I would hazard a guess that they are chasing young of the year pike and walleye up in those cut off meanders, etc.

I've live trapped baby walleye and pike at the end of summer before up in the shallows.

That's basically a pond now and has been cut off from the main lake for months. I'm guessing there are fish in there though. All species probably. A lot of carp. The pelicans are in there thick every morning.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

This sounds like it's a job that definitely would qualify for "Dirty Jobs" with Mike Rowe.

Growing up on a farm I think the dirtiest job I had was cleaning then chicken coop. Not so dirty but a very heavy ammonia smell. Pig barn was not bad as they generally have their toilet in a corner instead of all over the barn area. None of that could even compare to working on the pelican island from your description. Wonder how much trouble you were in to get assigned to that job.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70