Camping - Water?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does everyone do when there is a water hookup in the campground at your site? Do you still fill your camper water tank or do you just use the hookup and keep your pump off and the tank dry?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on the road all summer and live out of my camper. I use a inline filter if there is water hookups, the last three seasons, before the DOT pushed the ending dates of completion back 2 weeks we will dealing with camping spots where the water was turned off already usually late October early November. I have had to use the tank a few times this year during the summer because some rv sites don't have designated water so I would fill my tank which I don't care for cant drink it smell like plastic and has a bitter taste to it.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Switch the valves for city water use and hook the hose directly to the camper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've owned a camper since 2015 and never put a drop of water in the fresh-water tank.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I use the city water hookup, keep the pump off and tank dry. I plan on getting one of those water pressure regulators that go between the spicket and your hose, I see a lot of people using those in the campgrounds.

EDIT: Apparently they are inline water filters.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I'm not mistaken, our camper should already have a pressure regulator in the main line.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Our favorite camping spot usually doesn't have hookups, so we bring cases of water to drink. Only potable water that goes into the camper fresh water tank. We use the water is for toilet, sinks, shower and maybe brush the ol'chompers. Brushing with a Busch Latte is also acceptable....but just don't use too much of the Latte. :cool:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the city water hookup, keep the pump off and tank dry. I plan on getting one of those water pressure regulators that go between the spicket and your hose, I see a lot of people using those in the campgrounds.

EDIT: Apparently they are inline water filters.

You can get both. If the campground is using well water, often it's not a bad idea to slap on a regulator since you don't know the on/off pressure of the well system. Some can get pretty high. Also, if it's on a well, not a bad idea to use a filter in case there's sand coming through the system.

I think the only actual time I've run across a campground that had excessive water pressure was a place down in the Black Hills. Otherwise, it's not usually a problem.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If available I hook up at a camp site. Never without a pressure regulator and a charcoal filter. The camp site at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstine runs 100 lb PSE. We like to camp on the desert alone so I carry a 30 gal freshwater in the bed of my pickup. I have a 12v pump attached so I can transfer to the camper. The camper has a 5 micron sediment filter, but I run the carbon anyway.

I started out with a 42 gal, but quickly learned that without some type of support you dont want to run gravel road intersections at 35 mph. Some are rough and my 42 gal tank lasted three days before one side split wide open at an intersection.

rippenlips

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a pressure regulator to regulate pressure to make sure it is not higher than it should be, then off that water filter connect to hose to city water intake. I travel out of state with mine and do not trust the water pressure at unknown parks. I leave fresh water tank empty if I have water hook up, no need for extra water weight.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76