New Tundra Accessory Recs

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was faced with sinking $4k into an 11 year old F150, or finding something new. Decided to get a 2021 Toyota Tundra SR5 and love it. Has the 5.5 ft bed.

Want to for sure add a tonneau cover before winter and need running boards.

I know little about aftermarket accessories. Anything specific to look for (brands, features, etc)? Anything to steer clear of? If possible, I'd like to just order online and install everything myself, but a quick Google search is pretty overwhelming.

Thanks!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Access original cover, not only are they the best, but also made in Jamestown.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy down here in Payson has the electric nerf bars for getting into the pickup. They are really neat and work well down here. Don't think they would be worth a toot up in NoDak with the freezing slush and snow.

I fully agree on the Access Covers. Had them on our last 12-15 pickups.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than being almost double the price, what's the big difference in the Original Access cover and Tonnosport Access cover?

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Check out the fas top topper/tonneau combo if you ever have any need for a topper but don't like the hard sided ones. I've had one for a few years and it has been awesome.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figure out you tonneau cover. Get the dust seal for the tailgate and marathon seat covers. If you still can, upgrade factory tires to 10 ply.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than being almost double the price, what's the big difference in the Original Access cover and Tonnosport Access cover?
I'm sure overall quality. Do you keep your truck 2 years or 10, that may be your decider. Also I don't like anything low profile, why loose an inch of clearance? I know i've hauled several things that just barely scraped under my original cover.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure overall quality. Do you keep your truck 2 years or 10, that may be your decider. Also I don't like anything low profile, why loose an inch of clearance? I know i've hauled several things that just barely scraped under my original cover.

Makes sense. I had a tonneau when I first got my F150 but swapped it for a hard topper about a year later. Don't plan on having two dogs any time soon again, so figure the tonneau is OK for the short-term.

I'm going to drive this bastard into the ground. I got a Toyota because I hear they're damn near bullet proof. IF I don't hit 300k miles, I'll be disappointed.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2020 tundra, I was impressed with the access cover i had on my previous pickup but with the 5 foot bed i was always running out of room on longer hunting trips when i had to take camping gear, went with topper on my tundra instead tonnue cover.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have 3 buddies down here with Toyota pickups, every one of them complain about the gas mileage. Can't say they are worse than other brands as they won't say what they get. Just say that the mileage sucks. Love their pickups but complain about the gas mileage everytime it comes up.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes sense. I had a tonneau when I first got my F150 but swapped it for a hard topper about a year later. Don't plan on having two dogs any time soon again, so figure the tonneau is OK for the short-term.

I'm going to drive this bastard into the ground. I got a Toyota because I hear they're damn near bullet proof. IF I don't hit 300k miles, I'll be disappointed.

Congrats on the new truck! I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with 312k on it. Original motor, one replacement tranny. Just sayin' - not just the Toyotas that go that far ;)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have 3 buddies down here with Toyota pickups, every one of them complain about the gas mileage. Can't say they are worse than other brands as they won't say what they get. Just say that the mileage sucks. Love their pickups but complain about the gas mileage everytime it comes up.

I was getting about 10 mpg in town with the F150. So far I'm averaging 12-13 with the Tundra.

It's a V8 pickup. I'm not buying it for the gas mileage. That's why I went with the 38 gallon tank ;)

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
My previous 1/2 ton was a 17 gmc 5.3 8 speed, the thing got great mpg Highest in mn on 55 mph roads was 24 mpg, averaged 17, pulling anything 9 to 12
my 2020 tundra with topper averages 15 see 17 quite a bit. Pulling 6x12 7 foot tall enclosed trailer if i go over 65 is around 9 to 10, keep it below 65 no cruise 11 to 13.
My gmc was nice but at 65k started having torque convertor vibration issues and was more car like. I like my tundra it pulls good and hoping it makes it past 100k with no issues

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a 14 tundra with a 2 inch level lift up front and Goodyear dura tracks. I get 14 mpg. I am at 104000 miles going to drive a few more years and really interested in the new one with the v6 and turbos. Supposed to get better mpg and motor has been in Lexus for a few years so should be no problem.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57