Wild Plums

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stumbled into a very large stand of wild plums yesterday, ready for pickin'. Went back tonight and got 10 gallons of them. Plenty more if I need them!

I can do my own research and find a jelly recipe but wondering if anyone has one they'd recommend. What else do people do with them? Thinking some sort of chutney or similar sauce for pork etc.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild plums are literally the ONLY plums I have met that I like.

I just turn them into jelly, after I've eaten my fill.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of the bushes I found were at the "candy" stage of sweetness!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I will eat ripe wild plums until I get the shits for a week straight...I don't care.
I love those things!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my yard is full of plum trees, have one tree that is pembina plumbs that are the size of a ping pong ball.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Take a glass gallon jar and mash the plums one at a time with your fingers. Almost will the jar with plums. Top off with cheap vodka, and couple of cups of sugar. Leave in fridge a couple of months, strain, enjoy.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as "what else" you can do with wild plums, you can make your own plum liqueur with them.

Again, lots of recipes out on the web, but here's what I have done with them:

Take 2 quarts of washed plums and place in a 2 quart canning jar. Breaking the skin on them really helps. Add one cup of sugar. Fill the remaining void with a vodka of your choosing. Seal and place in cupboard for 30 days. You will want to shake, invert, mix this every few days to help the sugar dissolve. I try to leave as little headspace as possible in this step.

After 30 days, filter the contents of the jar with a jelly filter, cheesecloth, or dirty old sock if need be. Pour this liqueur into a cleaned bottle of your choice, cap it and forget about it for at least 3 months. Seriously, this needs time to age. 3 months is ok, 6 months is great, and anything beyond that just continues to let it mellow.

I've tried similar recipes with lemons, raspberries, strawberries, chokecherries, pineapple, peaches, and pears. My favorites are lemon, pear, peach, and chokecherry. You can tweak the recipe as you wish, if using something like chokecherries, you may wish to go up to 2 cups of sugar. You can also jack up the alcohol content a little by using 5 parts vodka and 1 part Everclear, but be careful with that one.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a glass gallon jar and mash the plums one at a time with your fingers. Almost will the jar with plums. Top off with cheap vodka, and couple of cups of sugar. Leave in fridge a couple of months, strain, enjoy.

Me and the Mrs. do this. Its ok, but I prefer grape or chokecherry over the plum version. Good friend suggested using rum instead of vodka. I may try that.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several wild plum trees but the freeking coons always get them before I want them.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
09EBF90A-D1A3-4863-8C1F-BA184207B8B5.jpeg

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't know. Lady asked me this in the park the other day trying to bum a cigarette. It was before the fireworks started.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76