Partridge opener

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went out today got my limit in the first walk couldn't find a grouse anywhere but chased up 6 different covies of huns finally toward the end of my route I spotted some grouse in a tree a few hundred yards out headed toward them about half way to them a hawk swooped in and flushed them never to be seen again. Heading out again in the morning hopefully after some grouse. This was in the national grasslands around tobacco gardens heading south of Alexander tomorrow to more grasslands.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast, tasty, little bastidges!

Did you get any?

p.s. I don't know if I've ever seen 6 different covies(?) of Huns. I'd consider that a damn good day in the field...as far as opportunities, anyway.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it's crazy I've never Evan seen huns in that area I was hunting and I've been hunting that area for 30 yrs huns in the open prairie then fly to the bottom of the draws it was strange opener

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been running a combine for a friend this fall and have been seeing lots of coveys. saw a covey yesterday that must have had 20 birds in it. Most have closer to the standard 6-10.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The partridge hatch must have been outstanding this year. I could shoot a limit daily up here. I usually don’t see them this thick from the road until December time frame.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grouse must not have had a good hatch seeing lots of small groups 3 to 5 per flock walked about 4 miles this morning managed 2 grouse they were all in thick big buffalo berry patches hard to cover alone they always come up the wrong side lol but it was a good workout for the dogs might road hunt this evening for my 3rd and bit the huns again.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
went stomping around in historically rich grouse country. Never saw a grouse.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
been flushing a few coveys of huns walking the dogs. looks like they had a good hatch this spring. Shot more huns last fall than i ever have.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riverview: If we could shoot/lower the # of hawks/owls, we'd have a lot more Huns on the landscape....these birds of prey seem to find a clutch of birds, and hunt them til they're gone. Now add the coons, fox, skunks that get the nests/eggs, and Huns have a tuf time keeping up!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The winter of 2021/2022 we had a Covey of Partridge by are place most of the winter. We started off with 12 or 13 of them. Then a Horned Owl moved in. About every other day 1 would disappear. After about a month they were gone. A few day later with nothing left to eat it left.

Then the winter of 2022/2023 we had another Covey. This time I put feed out between the house and the trees and they were here till spring. There were times when I would go to work in the morning about 4:30, and see them under the lilac bushes. I fed them morning and evening. They were fun to watch in the evening. Most every night they would fly out from under a evergreen tree for about 70 ft and land next to the feed. There was 9 of them this yr.. Sunflowers and millet, about 1/2 gallon and they would eat just about it all. Then came the Cottontails.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Riverview: If we could shoot/lower the # of hawks/owls, we'd have a lot more Huns on the landscape....these birds of prey seem to find a clutch of birds, and hunt them til they're gone. Now add the coons, fox, skunks that get the nests/eggs, and Huns have a tuf time keeping up!
i agree but it takes habitat for bird numbers to come up.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the rain this year I have not seen much emergency cutting down here at all which is good

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74