Sharpies in eastern nodak

Deke

Just curious how everyone did and what people are seeing for numbers. Took the dog out for a few hours and it went pretty well since I’ve never hunted them but I had to go quite a ways north and west of Carrington to where I remembered there being a decent population years ago. I was told they get super jumpy later on so trying to get a couple good hunts in before rooster and duck hunting starts.

I’m just wondering if there is ok populations further east at all

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We were south of you. Sat. saw zip and no other hunters. Did not hear a shot either. Sunday we found a flock of 15-18 birds with 2 down on the re-flush as they landed just over the hill. Put up another smaller covey, maybe 8 and got 2 more. Then 1 single and called it done for the 2 of us. Perfect weather. The pastures sure got beat to hell from the drought but there is some regrowth there and even in the hayland.

Deke

Definitely had perfect weather. I got into a couple singles and one big covey of probably 20+ and I dropped one. Downed another single but never did find it. Was awesome though since it’s my wirehairs first full season at age 1 and he crushed it out there. Glad to hear there are some birds further south, may head that way next time

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shouldn't have to go much more north than sheyenne to find decent numbers of sharpies IMHO. We rarely get that far south tbh.

Deke

The town of Sheyenne? Isn’t anything north of that the Rez and then it’s the lake haha.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup. correct. maybe i misunderstood "quite a ways north and west of carrington".

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Used to hunt them just north of the sheyenne river in the goverment pastures. There were a few and I never shot more than two a season. Just wanted to break the dog in before pheasant season and get some good old fashion leg work myself. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74