waterfowl blind....NOT layout

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been seeing some waterfowl shows where guys use some type of box or wall blind (not bale) in fields instead of layouts. Thinking these would be good for bean fields as often there is no where to hide and layouts stand out too much. Anyone use these, know a brand or kind etc?

MULEDEER

Established Member
I went with Gilee suits years ago. Lay wherever you want move if need be with ease. Don't miss the layout bLind at all. Just another option for you to to think about

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
here ya go. we bought one and then another this year as we were very happy with the quality when the first one arrived. we hunted out of the avian x with the collapsible frames a few times a year the last couple of years. frames just seemed a bit cheap on them. the frames on these seem better imho. gonna just leave them in 4 separate panels in the trailer instead of breaking them down entirely. if it fits, it will go in in one piece with decoys inside. fabric seems just pretty good too. not camo. which is disappointing. but, ya stuff em anyways. and paint would help too.

https://www.mackspw.com/Limit-Waterfowl-GBX-Ground-Blind

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been seeing some waterfowl shows where guys use some type of box or wall blind (not bale) in fields instead of layouts. Thinking these would be good for bean fields as often there is no where to hide and layouts stand out too much. Anyone use these, know a brand or kind etc?

it’s either an a frame or panel blind. Bean fields this year I’m using dive bombs tall socks and layout chairs. Using the socks to hide under. It’s working in peanut fields no reason it shouldn’t work here in the bean fields.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
yup,dumped my layout's a few years ago,in my old age these frame blinds are great,if you don't dig down you layouts in flat fields it becomes awkward and agreed not natural,a-frame blinds also stand out but gives big galoot's like you BV comfy room and old farts like me that like a comfy fold out chair,stand up gun rack like a pit blind and most important coffee mug holder at shoulder level.We found that setting up on a weeded section fenceline,or a weeded stock pond edge doesn't seem to affect birds that want in,it's all fun even if the birds don't commit for me,sunrise watching the excitement my pup displays makes the day,scratch out a couple birds is frosting on the cake. more serious waterfowlers worried about flaring birds in your layout,need a shovel to dig your blind down 12"s or so,it's worth the effort.

My .02.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i believe the intent of the A-frame style blinds is to hunt field edges, slough edges where there is more natural cover. Geese are 100% aware of layout blinds and hunting field edges or natural cover be it am A-frame blind or layout bind is the best thing to do now days. the good ole days of laying in the middle of the field with ground blinds is about gone

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
i believe the intent of the A-frame style blinds is to hunt field edges, slough edges where there is more natural cover. Geese are 100% aware of layout blinds and hunting field edges or natural cover be it am A-frame blind or layout bind is the best thing to do now days. the good ole days of laying in the middle of the field with ground blinds is about gone

You'd think so, but I've had way better luck just throwing a panel blind in the middle of a field then trying to blend in with the edges.

It's super counter intuitive, but it works.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
here ya go. we bought one and then another this year as we were very happy with the quality when the first one arrived. we hunted out of the avian x with the collapsible frames a few times a year the last couple of years. frames just seemed a bit cheap on them. the frames on these seem better imho. gonna just leave them in 4 separate panels in the trailer instead of breaking them down entirely. if it fits, it will go in in one piece with decoys inside. fabric seems just pretty good too. not camo. which is disappointing. but, ya stuff em anyways. and paint would help too.

Have you tried that in an open field such as a stubble field or bean?

- - - Updated - - -

You think so? I haven't seen a single hunter in my area using an Aframe. My son and I kill a ton of honkers a year out of the old layouts. Well I will sit in slough edges etc too later. It's getting too hard to get in and out of them. I think the layouts are still great if you really brush them up and or dig them in. I agree with using edges etc. But birds like to be on the X. So if on edge you may not get the desired decoy shots??
Last saturday another hunter came out in the field I was in. He didn't have permission --long story. My son and I were on the X. He set up between us and where the geese were coming from trying to short stop them. I about punched his time card! Anyway, he lay in ghillie suit in his dekes. Birds passed right by him without a look and piled in on us.

- - - Updated - - -

esp...how do you break those down? I pull a deke trailer as well. Can you just pull all walls apart and lay them in box of pickup or trailer or do you have to really disassemble?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No argument that digging in a blind might

No argument that digging in a blind would (might) help. Problem is that I've never met a landowner that like holes in their field. Guarantee that when asking permission to hunt if the question includes "Do you mind if we dig pits?" the answer to both would most likely be "no."

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have seen lots of videos of guys in the middle of the field in the aframe and killing lots of geese. I want to get one to try out my one friend by watertown thats all he uses and he kills lots of birds. The layouts have not let us down but i think in a bare field the aframes are better if your not just laying under the socks. Done with full bodies also silo and socks from now on. video showing laying in the socks but the music sucks balls

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can break them down entirely into individual poles, or into 4 individual panels. if ours won't fit into the trailer in one piece, we will just be breaking down into individual panels. the box they came in completely broken down is about 1/3 the size of a regular layout blind. but, once ya stuff the canvas, its gonna grow in size. i would guess the stacked panels and rolled up stuffed canvas of two of those will take up about as much space as 1.5 to 2 stuffed layout (not broken down) blinds. and fit at least twice as many people.

as far as putting them in a bare field: not sure why. but, birds seem ok with them even in the middle of the field. stuff them right and they sort of look like a miniature slough in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i have seen lots of videos of guys in the middle of the field in the aframe and killing lots of geese. I want to get one to try out my one friend by watertown thats all he uses and he kills lots of birds. The layouts have not let us down but i think in a bare field the aframes are better if your not just laying under the socks. Done with full bodies also silo and socks from now on. video showing laying in the socks but the music sucks balls

I see they had a Speck dead in the first part of the video. But nothing in the pile.

Just wondering it that was a opps. at 1;29 on the video

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see they had a Speck dead in the first part of the video. But nothing in the pile.

Just wondering it that was a opps. at 1;29 on the video

Spec and canada season run at the same time where they are in texas and if you zoom in on the left side i see some orange .

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think layout blinds will work better once everyone switches over to using an a-frame! I think changing it up on the birds always works.

I have shot birds out of unstubbled blinds before so sometimes it doesn’t matter as much

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago hunting in sask,last year lead was legal in canada,buddy and I after a few beers decided to head to canada hunting at midnight...a whim,young guyz can do this,loaded our camping gear,guns dog and plenty of ammo,one dozen super mag decoys and off we went,no layouts back then plus we were broke,ended up meeting a local farmer/hunter near the Alberta border that invited us to hunt with him one day,his home made blinds were cut lilac bushes stuffed into 5 gallon buckets he set out on the middle of a cut buckwheat field we scouted the night before,shot a pile of birds mallards too,then driving around fields that had duram laying down farmers had propane cannons with giant wind socks that would go "Boom" every 10 + minutes to scare the geese away from feeding on the drying wheat,well no one told the geese they were feedind right under those cannon's and sock blowin in the wind,like stated above,on the x they'll come in.

You avid field hunter's,how many times have you been standing or sitting in your spread and have birds lock up and come right in on ya
? no calling no blind,it happens more than folks think,these frame blinds work great MPO. .

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried that in an open field such as a stubble field or bean?

- - - Updated - - -

You think so? I haven't seen a single hunter in my area using an Aframe. My son and I kill a ton of honkers a year out of the old layouts. Well I will sit in slough edges etc too later. It's getting too hard to get in and out of them. I think the layouts are still great if you really brush them up and or dig them in. I agree with using edges etc. But birds like to be on the X. So if on edge you may not get the desired decoy shots??
Last saturday another hunter came out in the field I was in. He didn't have permission --long story. My son and I were on the X. He set up between us and where the geese were coming from trying to short stop them. I about punched his time card! Anyway, he lay in ghillie suit in his dekes. Birds passed right by him without a look and piled in on us.

- - - Updated - - -

esp...how do you break those down? I pull a deke trailer as well. Can you just pull all walls apart and lay them in box of pickup or trailer or do you have to really disassemble?

im not talking about august birds. Missouri river, December, birds have been pounded day in and day out for months. will not go a day without seeing 6+ spreads. i can assure you your layout blind in the middle of the field x or not is not your best choice. but what do i know i just have been hunting in ND premier late season waterfowl for 20 years.......

Silver

Any advice about where to place the A-frame blinds in relation to your decoys?

A different spot for snows vs honkers?

Thanks!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest thing I can say about positioning an A Frame is shadows. Don't choose your orientation based on wind direction or how you want the birds to work. Setup so the birds see the least amount of shadow from the blind. You're about to shoot them any direction when you stand up, so long as you don't shoot down the blind. I grew up hunting pits and the A-Frames are similar, just have to worry about shadows. I too am curious about effectiveness but will see how it plays out in the next couple years. Layouts are 100% not as effective as when they came out. Nuts how birds can pick them out!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I talked to a state trapper several years back. He is up in air a lot for yotes or whatever. He said he can pick out a layout blind really easy when up in the air. Said it's because of their profile. They stand up. However, he said if guys are good they use lower profile blinds, brush them in really well and brush up around them, (where they touch ground). He said it can be a little tricky to identify some when that way.

- - - Updated - - -

im not talking about august birds. Missouri river, December, birds have been pounded day in and day out for months. will not go a day without seeing 6+ spreads. i can assure you your layout blind in the middle of the field x or not is not your best choice. but what do i know i just have been hunting in ND premier late season waterfowl for 20 years.......

I don't hunt river birds. I hunt northeast part of SD for 35 yrs. These prob dont see as much pressure as river birds?? Some days late in season they pile in and others not. Just part of game. I do think however, that how blind that stands out is often the key to or lack there of...success.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey BV,i hunt the same area as you from the webster area west to Groten early migration then pass shoot on the river bluff's on the Brule reservation late season,been thinking of doing a hunt on the sissiton rez one day,I'm told hunter's do well there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74