River Channel @ Eckroth Bottoms

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]They are basically cutting the realeases out of Garrison Dam in 1/2 until late fall close to freeze up to hold some water because of the drought. Not sure what adjustment was made for Oahe releases but around Bismarck it drop a couple of feet at a minimum

Decreasing Garrison Dam releases necessitate removal of boats from Missouri River[/h]Sep 1, 2021

Decreasing releases from the Garrison Dam this month have made it necessary for Missouri River users to remove boats, recreational vehicles and docks in the water.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be dropping releases from the dam due to drought conditions.

The releases will decrease from 21,000 cubic feet per second to 18,000 cubic feet per second by Sept. 12, then to 16,000 cubic feet per second by Sept. 16, then to 13,000 cubic feet per second later in September.

The releases are likely to make boat ramps and river access unusable, according to Burleigh County Emergency Management.

See bit.ly/3jBboCE for the Corps' weekly update.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hazelton is still okay as far as I know. I remember one fall when the water was only a couple of feet deep in front of the ramp. With the Rifle Range out of commission it could be a tough fall.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess my concern for Hazelton is the main channel will hug the east side of wide valley and not run any water over to east side eventually. It could end up being waterless over there, IDK???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What was it like in 02 or 03 we have a ways to go to get that low but that should be able to tell you.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't this guy standing on the west side right by Eckroth corner? That's right where the river turns and goes east, and then he pans south toward hazelton? There looks to be a south wind when he took that video making it appear like waves are moving north, but overall it looks pretty normal to me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is 2021 - get a drone down there you hacks

so us professional opinion espousers can operate effectively :D

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some info...
2021_outflow.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Honker, I had been looking for something similar. I knew the flows were basically just as low last fall when I was fishing down by Hazelton. I do wonder however with Oahe being lower, if the water level won't probably be lower down by Hazelton and south, because not as much water will be backed up into there from Oahe.

IMO people have become so accustom to a decade of high water, that they forget what normal flows look like and are overreacting. Just like people who think Sak is super low, but it is barely below mean pool. Its still has to drop almost 30' before we are at 2005 levels.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is 2021 - get a drone down there you hacks

so us professional opinion espousers can operate effectively :D

I know, I keep forgetting to take mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't this guy standing on the west side right by Eckroth corner? That's right where the river turns and goes east, and then he pans south toward hazelton? There looks to be a south wind when he took that video making it appear like waves are moving north, but overall it looks pretty normal to me.

Yes, I'm standing on west side right at Eckroth bottoms. The channel used to come down from the north the the west side and turn east. This was a few years ago and then it cut a sub channel straignt south too. Now it looks really different. My concern for Hazelton isn't about elevation but all a out the main channel changing to west side of river and bypassing the east channel entirely.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know, I keep forgetting to take mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I'm standing on west side right at Eckroth bottoms. The channel used to come down from the north the the west side and turn east. This was a few years ago and then it cut a sub channel straignt south too. Now it looks really different. My concern for Hazelton isn't about elevation but all a out the main channel changing to west side of river and bypassing the east channel entirely.

I think Rowdie is talking about the channel south of the eckroth turn. South of Eckroth the channel used to be on the east side, but I think that was right after 2011 flooding. Historically it has been on the west side though right?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75