Another great bear season

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had another great Minnesota bear hunt this year, after my daughter's big one last year we had something to shoot for, we didn't top hers but had a blast. We always hunt over baits but once in a while when traveling between baits checking them you see the odd bear, that's how I got mine this year. Saw him at about 400 yards, snuck to within 40 steps and shot him with my 45-70 single shot. Even though I had a rifle and not a bow in my hands I was compelled to see if I could get close, it was a definite rush for me. Buddies ran off into the thick willows, had about a 150 yard drag out of the woods to a trail and then about a quarter mile to the pickup, lot of work but it was satisfying work!
2021 Bear.jpg2021 Bear Paul.jpg

Last year I was asked what we do with the rendered fat, well I remembered my grandmother and her sisters making homemade soap when I was a kid. So had to give that a try and it turned out really well. Lathers nicely, cleans really well and leaves your hands soft. Only problem is everyone wants some to try so ended up giving most of it away, but have since made more.
2021 Bear Soap.jpg

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great job...with a 45-70 ss no less! Big bruin!
Don't forget to keep some of the rendered bear fat for boot grease and a great cooking fat.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like a fun and rewarding season!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome!

I've been in on 100's of bear kills and yep, the biggest (older) bear are killed just as you did.

Nice big head on that. Congrats.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great job...with a 45-70 ss no less! Big bruin!
Don't forget to keep some of the rendered bear fat for boot grease and a great cooking fat.

yea it has lots of uses and have some more to get rendered.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a fun and rewarding season!

this the first one in three years, but was by choice not lack of bears. This is truly an addiction.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok so...I guess Im dumb but how do you exactly render bear fat? Boil it and......??

Either cut it into small cubes or grind it, then I use a roaster (crockpot works too) and cook it "really" slow so that the oil separates out. You want to take it easy so that you don't burn it. Then I ladle off the oil and pour it in jars through cheesecloth. It works good on healing cuts and burns (less scaring), have used it on my leather hunting boots, baking and deep frying, and now soap!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok so...I guess Im dumb but how do you exactly render bear fat? Boil it and......??

boil is too hot I think, slow heat but i randomly know things with no back up info.

Interesting that the webpage google led me too said the diet determines the taste, blueberries good, garbage dump bad

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75