No sir that deer is not a tirty pointer but is actually a 57 pointer

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I completely agree. The anti hunting crowd loves to portray all hunters as those who shoot Bambi fenced in and eating out of the owners hand while we stick the gun barrel in Bambis ear. While disease is of great concern the public image endangers an American heritage.

Actually you don't, because pushing for a ban means enacting a law and this is the process you say you believe in. Property rights are not absolute. You can not grow and process popies. You cant have a brothel on your land in North Dakota. I use the absurd as examples because believing in total property rights has been absurd forever.

what’s the public’s perception of sitting on a hill and shooting deer from 600 yards away? That’s not hunting that’s just shooting and should be banned I hear that a lot. Sportsman are our own worst enemies we like to fight amongst our selves while the others organize and take stuff away. Ie colorado spring bear season.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched this guy in October in Wyoming shoot at his prize and what was astonishing and would've have believed it hadn't I been there. He even had another guy there with a range finder, I couldn't even see the animal he was shooting at clearly from that distance. And I guess that is normal hunting in that state. I assumed it was muley deer but I couldn't tell from that distance

- - - Updated - - -

For the record I still think wild game farms are going to be everywhere in the near future, just for the fact that growing wild game takes less acreage and can forage off land that cattle can not. It's already being done remember when I think it was Arbys selling elk sandwiches a few years back.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the record I still think wild game farms are going to be everywhere in the near future, just for the fact that growing wild game takes less acreage and can forage off land that cattle can not. It's already being done remember when I think it was Arbys selling elk sandwiches a few years back.

Arby's sells a promotional Venison Steak Sandwich every once in awhile. It's actually Red Deer from New Zealand. The United States is one of the largest importers of lamb, concentrated milk, frozen bovine meats, deer meat, butter and Red Deer meat from New Zealand.

Like everything else, we import things that can be produced right here, while shuttering our own industries.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched this guy in October in Wyoming shoot at his prize and what was astonishing and would've have believed it hadn't I been there. He even had another guy there with a range finder,
Some of those old Buffalo hunters could really reach out with a Sharp's and other old rifles. At the second battle of Adobe Walls and with a couple dozen witnesses Billy Dixon shot an Indian off his horse at 7/8 mile. Kurt how can you compare long range with penned animals. Long range requires skill that begins at the reloading bench. My scale tells me that it takes three kernels of Varget to move one tenth of a grain. I load one tenth heavy, then remove kernels with a tweezer until it drops a tenth of a grain. That ensures that all my loads are within 1/3 of a tenth grain. Of course cases begin with neck turning. It's much harder to set up a safe 1000 yard shot than a 200 yard shot. I have shot past larger bucks at 200 yards to kill smaller bucks at 1000 yards. Nearly any rifle with scope will take deer to 600 yards. I dont care if people shoot free range deer at 25 yards, but I want a challenge. Getting close is also a challenge and I satisfy that challenge with archery or blackpowder. Sometimes I keep my shots at around 500 with A Creedmoor tang sight on a falling block 45/70. I think the whole idea is a sporting chance and that isn't what high fence is about. The great thing about North Dakota and other states too is you can challenge yourself in multiple hunting scenarios. Long bow. compound. handgun, 18th century firearms, and modern weapons. Skill comes in many forms but comes down to stealth or shooting abilities.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsmen don't want them.

Some would argue a sportsman wouldn't buy an animal and shoot it in an high fence enclosure either. I'm not sure most fair chase hunters I know would like sharing the moniker of "sportsman" with some high roller out of NY City/Atlanta/Shithole that flies in, pulls a trigger, writes a check, and then flies back home on his private plane before the animal is even processed.

- - - Updated - - -

So did anyone on here try Arbys' venison offerings?

Just curious, because if they were great, I'd probably try to find a recipe to mimick them. They didn't offer it here in Bismarck, did they?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, you know little.

A sportsman hunted all his life. He developed Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Came to my place for his last hunt. 2007.

Symptoms were loss of feeling in hands and feet. He wasn't picking up his feet correctly and as a result he fell and ran a stick into his hand. Because of all the medicines he was on, it took a long time to stop the bleeding.

Allen, you should get in that mans face and call him a few names.

ps. it was his last hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen, yes Arby's in Bismarck sold the Venison Steak Sandwich. It sold out in two hours.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, you know little.

A sportsman hunted all his life. He developed Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Came to my place for his last hunt. 2007.

Symptoms were loss of feeling in hands and feet. He wasn't picking up his feet correctly and as a result he fell and ran a stick into his hand. Because of all the medicines he was on, it took a long time to stop the bleeding.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen, yes Arby's in Bismarck to sell the Venison Steak Sandwich. It sold out in two hours.

If that was the norm, I think you'd find a lot more people in support of it.

It's not, and you know it. There's a wide variety of able bodied people paying for the HFH experience to pawn it off to their millionaire friends as a "trophy" for their office or den.

There are also a shitload of volunteer organizations and charities that would have also hooked that man up with a quality free range experience. Sporting Chance is just one of those organizations. We can play hypotheticals and fringe experiences all day long, but when a good share of the HFH critters are hanging in some able-bodied Wall Street trader's office just because he sought expediency, well...some outdoorsmen and women don't like being lumped in with that fringe. It puts a stain on our hobby that the big city voters don't like and it helps them become more and more anti-hunting.

Not many HFH operations spend the money necessary to make it a free-range kind of experience, you know...the kind where going home empty handed is a real possibility. They do exist, but they again are on the fringe of the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

lastly...as HFH operations try to equate themselves with free-range hunting, the non-hunting layperson may come to believe they are one and the same. Letting someone come in and kill an animal they purchased is fine by me, just don't pawn it off as being equivalent to what the vast majority of us do each fall.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's not, and you know it. There's a wide variety of able bodied people paying for the HFH experience to pawn it off to their millionaire friends as a "trophy" for their office or den.

There are also a shitload of volunteer organizations and charities that would have also hooked that man up with a quality free range experience. Sporting Chance is just one of those organizations. We can play hypotheticals and fringe experiences all day long, but when a good share of the HFH critters are hanging in some able-bodied Wall Street trader's office just because he sought expediency, well...some outdoorsmen and women don't like being lumped in with that fringe. It puts a stain on our hobby that the big city voters don't like and it helps them become more and more anti-hunting.

Not many HFH operations spend the money necessary to make it a free-range kind of experience, you know...the kind where going home empty handed is a real possibility. They do exist, but they again are on the fringe of the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

lastly...as HFH operations try to equate themselves with free-range hunting, the non-hunting layperson may come to believe they are one and the same. Letting someone come in and kill an animal they purchased is fine by me, just don't pawn it off as being equivalent to what the vast majority of us do each fall.

so as the anti hunters organize and get more and more money you want to alienate the rich people with power that hunt. Long bow don’t like recurve, recurve don’t like compound , compound don’t like rifle, muzzle loader don’t like rifle , still hunters don’t like deer drive hunters, don’t like hound hunters, don’t like predator hunters, minute of our plate doesn’t like long range shooter . Field hunters don’t like roost busters ( which I am in this group but I will support the roost busters right to do it even though it’s stupid), meat hunters don’t like guys who shoot mature animals and look happy taking pictures. We have all these little gangs inside our one gang as they sneak up behind us ready to strike.

while I don’t like or agree with some stuff people do if the state and feds have deemed it legal we need as many people on our side that hunt as we can get. If not Oregon, Washington , Colorado and California all are the blue print for seasons to be taken away and hunting crushed

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t care either if some one needs to pump their ego by bragging about the hf animal they shot it doesn’t affect me . I feel baiting deer is about the same accomplishment but if it makes you happy I will congratulate you and move on.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The problem I personally have with the people who "hunt" high fence operations is most of them ACTUALLY think it's hunting. Others (who know zip about real hunting) see this and also think this is ACTUAL hunting. IMO they get lumped in with actual hunters and that makes us all look bad. I don't privy looking bad, at anything.

Before anyone mentions it.....YES 50k acres behind a high fence or 5 acres behind a high fence is the same thing (it's the point of it being behind a fence). Polish a turd all you want and you still have a turd.

A controlled environment shouldn't be part of any hunting experience. At least any I'm going to participate in.

- - - Updated - - -

ps: I have wet dreams of sitting up on a hill somewhere in Africa with multiple weapons and having a massive troop of baboons in the open.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Allen claims to know what lies in the dark hearts and minds of millionaires.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen claims to know what lies in the dark hearts and minds of millionaires.

Ah hell, I'll even go one further. You put yourself out there as someone who gives a damn about the average Joe hunters of ND, and yet time after time we find you looking across the proverbial fence at the majority of hunters who have taken a decidedly different stance on a given topic.

Your choice to run with a mischaracterization of what I said (I say expediency, you suggest I'm saying they have dark hearts and minds) is telling.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah hell, I'll even go one further. You put yourself out there as someone who gives a damn about the average Joe hunters of ND, and yet time after time we find you looking across the proverbial fence at the majority of hunters who have taken a decidedly different stance on a given topic.

Your choice to run with a mischaracterization of what I said (I say expediency, you suggest I'm saying they have dark hearts and minds) is telling.

Actually it is a minority of hunters trying to exert their peer pressure.

Speaking of peer pressure Dr. Allen, I am not vaccinated.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, you know little.

ha ha ha - what a manipulative load of hogwash!!!

how the hell do you sleep at night?

oh, that's right, I forgot

you sleep great - this kind of opportunity to be manipulative makes your day

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ahhh the good old HFH debate. had a long speech about killing things and stuff... but, fuck it...

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, it's the old HFH debate again. Some years ago in a room full Of Dick Monson types, the federal guys kept talking about how they need to keep this issue in front of the public.

Social change is always about pressure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76