Trespass Law Question

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If the land has a perimeter fence, it only needs to be posted at the access points. In other words, at the gates.
Yup but even one posted sign on one of those fence posts is enough to earn a ticket for trespassing. My point is a guy has to be careful to look at the whole section for posters

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many actual trespassing convictions are there in a given year

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
E-posting had nothing to do with trespass. Follow the money. SD, MT, ID used to open access like ND was. Pay to play now.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
E-posting had nothing to do with trespass. Follow the money. SD, MT, ID used to open access like ND was. Pay to play now.

that’s not true for both South Dakota or Idaho both have enough public land hunting isn’t hard and if your not lazy getting permission is easy here in Sodak. Have not been told no yet this year and all the geese have been shot on land owners I don’t know. From the guys I talked to that have early goose hunted up there the e posting has worked great

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Of course people can hunt public land unless they can't get access to cross private ground to get there. Public land isn't the point. In ND we have very little of it compared to other states. We quit pheasant hunting SD long ago and then SD started posting public water too. In ID the 2 billionaire brothers from Texas pushed the No-Trespass law through so they could lock up thousands of public acres for themselves. In MT it's common to charged to hunt private land or pay to cross it. Money drives the No Trespass laws.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course people can hunt public land unless they can't get access to cross private ground to get there. Public land isn't the point. In ND we have very little of it compared to other states. We quit pheasant hunting SD long ago and then SD started posting public water too. In ID the 2 billionaire brothers from Texas pushed the No-Trespass law through so they could lock up thousands of public acres for themselves. In MT it's common to charged to hunt private land or pay to cross it. Money drives the No Trespass laws.

Well the water thing would not have happened if people were not slobs leaving garbage out ice fishing and when it comes to hunting that affects next to nothing. I would say makes it better keeping the roost busters at bay. Which land was cut of by the wilks brothers as i have hunted that exact area in Idaho the last five years and they had access roads to get to areas you just could not stop and shot on their property. I have never hunted montana so dont know personally but plenty of friends do and they have no problem finding hunting spots. Money sure is the driving factor but thats pretty much every thing in life

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Please name one instance in ND where you can't access public land because it's landlocked by private.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've also had a rancher who had their cattle grazing school land try and tell me it was posted and I couldn't hunt there.

I told him that was interesting, I didn't realize you could post public land. I'll call the game warden and verify that. Hold on...(as I pull out my phone)

Rancher: "F@#$ing, God$#@%, F@#$%ing ...ect"...(as he speeds off in a cloud of dust)

People will try anything.

I should clarify, he didn't have the proper signs. In fact he didn't have any signs.

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have come across school land that has no access.

Please elaborate. Was it a whole section or just a quarter? Was the section line that borders it closed? What prevented you from gaining access? I'm honestly curious.

I should clarify I'm asking about physical access. In some cases the landowner can post school sections which would prevent you from hunting it, but you can still fish or pick berries on it.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Please name one instance in ND where you can't access public land because it's landlocked by private.

Every major river valley in the state that has pastures has big chunks of section line access to the river fenced out, dozens of fishing lakes same thing, I can think of 2 units of state school land, a section line cut with a backhoe to a popular lake, a double fenced section line that was blocked with a rock pile, and if you remember when Cannonball put there own people on the County Commission to "officially" lockup a popular PLOTS down by Mott. Almost every session of the ND legislature has the crazy bill to privatize the Corps land.

But landlocked was not the point of the reply. Unposted land drives the pay to play businesses nuts. It is money out of their pockets and direct competition.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of a couple WPA's in ND landlocked by posted land. Technically a section line leads to them but the section lines have large sloughs across them.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting is hardly worth the hassle anymore unless you own your own land.

- - - Updated - - -

They could at least make the ditches open like in SD.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every major river valley in the state that has pastures has big chunks of section line access to the river fenced out, dozens of fishing lakes same thing, I can think of 2 units of state school land, a section line cut with a backhoe to a popular lake, a double fenced section line that was blocked with a rock pile, and if you remember when Cannonball put there own people on the County Commission to "officially" lockup a popular PLOTS down by Mott. Almost every session of the ND legislature has the crazy bill to privatize the Corps land.

But landlocked was not the point of the reply. Unposted land drives the pay to play businesses nuts. It is money out of their pockets and direct competition.

Unless the section line has been official closed by the county, all of these things are illegal. If you did nothing about it you are part of the problem. No different than the landowners wanting everything posted because of trespassing, but are unwilling to call the sheriff when they do catch trespassers.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
Please elaborate. Was it a whole section or just a quarter? Was the section line that borders it closed? What prevented you from gaining access? I'm honestly curious.

I should clarify I'm asking about physical access. In some cases the landowner can post school sections which would prevent you from hunting it, but you can still fish or pick berries on it.

I have no personal experience with these pictures, I just pulled them form the plots guide, and maybe I am wrong, maybe these are accesable but they dont look like it from the map Example 1.jpg.

- - - Updated - - -

Example3.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting is hardly worth the hassle anymore unless you own your own land.

- - - Updated - - -

They could at least make the ditches open like in SD.
i think we will have to do this via initiated measure

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86