Trespass Law Question

not anymore

Hello- I plan to come to North Dakota for a trip hunting this fall. I am aware of the recent electronic posting law. I will have onX and the state app.

The point of my question- I am coming from a state in which the idea of hunting on private land is very foreign to me. I want to do whatever I can to follow the rules etc.

Is it usually very easy to figure out what is physically posted and what is not? Should I drive around the entire property border prior to hunting? Any other tips or things to be aware of?

I apologize for what likely seems like a dumb question but I would rather ask now then get there and not know…thank you

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd recommend just getting permission prior to hunting any private land this year. It's become too much of a hassle to figure out if something's posted or not anymore. That's my approach anyway and when a landowner gets upset that I'm asking when it's not posted I'll just say blame your fellow land owners that pushed this shit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd recommend just getting permission prior to hunting any private land this year. It's become too much of a hassle to figure out if something's posted or not anymore. That's my approach anyway and when a landowner gets upset that I'm asking when it's not posted I'll just say blame the GREEDY LANDOWNERS WHO ARE ALSO PART OF THE BISMARCK SWAMP./QUOTE]

Fixed it. :)

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What NDSportsmen said! And then the major problem is contacting the owner or the individual leasing the land where hunting rights are included in the lease contract.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
onx has the electronic positing on there maps and all the state land. as far as private land if it isnt posted you can hunt it. If the land is fenced it will be posted at the gates, not fenced should be posted at the corners of the land. I do hunt pvt land but even if there is old posted signs i dont hunt it. As far as asking permission if it isnt posted isnt required.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's become too much of a hassle to figure out if something's posted or not anymore.

What? It couldn't be easier.

Also, if someone doesn't have their land posted why go bother them to ask for permission? That's probably why they didn't post it.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Also, if someone doesn't have their land posted why go bother them to ask for permission? That's probably why they didn't post it.

This is exactly why I havent hunted in a couple years. One time got chew marks on my ass for not asking permission on non posted land. Other time we got permission from land owners on both sides of the road, we got a visitor from 1/2 mile away saying our BBs were landing on his house. Sheriff called. Sheriff stopped by to do his due diligence and tell us we were fine with what we were doing but its just not that fun anymore when you are worried about landowners being assholes. Both times we were dove hunting.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going around and removing posted signs. Then if they’re not posted electronically your good to go

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Really? What if you don't have online access and or an ONX app to find out if it's posted online? How many old folks are tech savvy enough to figure that shit out? Was way easier to just look for the damn signs!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hello- I plan to come to North Dakota for a trip hunting this fall. I am aware of the recent electronic posting law. I will have onX and the state app.

The point of my question- I am coming from a state in which the idea of hunting on private land is very foreign to me. I want to do whatever I can to follow the rules etc.

Is it usually very easy to figure out what is physically posted and what is not? Should I drive around the entire property border prior to hunting? Any other tips or things to be aware of?

I apologize for what likely seems like a dumb question but I would rather ask now then get there and not know…thank you

You are going to need to check all non electronically posted land for posted signs. They legally need to have signs on every corner and every so often, but if there is even one sign on the whole parcel they can still fine you for trespassing. Before hunting non posted land be damn sure there is zero posted signs. If there are no signs I wouldn’t worry about getting permission. I’ve never had the game warden or sheriff called on me for hunting non posted land and I have hunted a ton .

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? What if you don't have online access and or an ONX app to find out if it's posted online? How many old folks are tech savvy enough to figure that shit out? Was way easier to just look for the damn signs!

if they can post on nda and facebook they will be just fine. And god knows we have plenty of old people doing both.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hunt wherever you want. Being from out of state, game and fish will just slap you on the wrist and say sorry, please come back next year!

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are going to need to check all non electronically posted land for posted signs. They legally need to have signs on every corner and every so often, but if there is even one sign on the whole parcel they can still fine you for trespassing. Before hunting non posted land be damn sure there is zero posted signs. If there are no signs I wouldn’t worry about getting permission. I’ve never had the game warden or sheriff called on me for hunting non posted land and I have hunted a ton .

If the land has a perimeter fence, it only needs to be posted at the access points. In other words, at the gates.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
That’s what the proclamation says, but as a land owner, if you truly don’t want to have an issue with people hunting your land, buy some extra signs and post it like you mean it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have no idea how to look on computer to see if land is posted or not and no intention of learning. Just to old and all cells in brain are full of other stuff. Need God to give me a bigger memory card.

Own no land (what i had, i gave away) but have plots on 10 different areas that provides all the land to bow hunt i need.

There was a time i use to chase after deer with a rifle but since 1995 the deer have been coming to me and they do come. Life became a lot less stressful this way by putting the rifle up on the wall and more enjoyable watching the crops grow and naming the deer, talking to them instead of shooting at them. My hunting vehicles last a lot longer this way. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76