Youth Deer Season

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my boys out today for their first deer hunts. Well, actually ALL of our first deer hunts - I didn't grow up doing it and now at 42 I'm in it with them!

Did all the work together - research, scouting, cams, gear, and safety. Picked a spot and went to sit this afternoon.

On the walk out we saw a bow hunter walking right near where we were headed. He ended up walking way past and then into the woods so we setup where we were intending to go.

About an hour into our sit we spotted 3 does walking on the other side of the cattail slough from us. They moved along a hill at 300 yards - too far of a shot for the boys so we patiently waited. As luck had it, they turned and came down a trail leading towards us through the slough. We had the sun at our backs and were against a tree line in full shade.

They had no idea we were there. They came to 120 yds then turned and meandered along the edge of the slough. Didn't present a shot we were comfortable with due to tall grass between us and them. Man, if only they had turned and walked to the right instead they'd have been broadside in much more open terrain! We made the decision to pass on the shot and we watched them go out of range.

The bow hunter came back about an hour and a half later and walked right up to us. Said he had a family emergency and had to leave. Walked right through our setup and took the trail the does came in on. Boys decided we should move and reset so we did. Frustrating.

Saw a big solo deer leave the slough about 600 yds away with 30 minutes of shooting left. Marked the spot and saw where he/she was headed into the trees. We'll be nearby waiting tomorrow night! Also heard a buck grunting as time ran out and had a fawn poke its head up 20 yds from us.

Couldn't have asked for a better first night (besides the uninvited guest). I'll update as the season progresses!

How's everyone else's youth season starting?

20210917_193055.jpg

20210917_181025.jpg

20210917_160052.jpg

*removed the comment I made on orange thanks to 8andcounting's feedback!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Daught is sick with a cold, and the son has a cross country meet this weekend, so no hunting planned for now. If I'm lucky I'll get out to scout some tomorrow evening. Then as long as sports and colds don't interfere, we'll have next weekend. She does have an any deer tag this year though, so I'm hoping she connects with a good one.

This early hunting is definitely a different experience.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my boys out today for their first deer hunts. Well, actually ALL of our first deer hunts - I didn't grow up doing it and now at 42 I'm in it with them!

Did all the work together - research, scouting, cams, gear, and safety. Picked a spot and went to sit this afternoon.

On the walk out we saw a bow hunter (not outfitted in orange) walking right near where we were headed. He ended up walking way past and then into the woods so we setup where we were intending to go.

About an hour into our sit we spotted 3 does walking on the other side of the cattail slough from us. They moved along a hill at 300 yards - too far of a shot for the boys so we patiently waited. As luck had it, they turned and came down a trail leading towards us through the slough. We had the sun at our backs and were against a tree line in full shade.

They had no idea we were there. They came to 120 yds then turned and meandered along the edge of the slough. Didn't present a shot we were comfortable with due to tall grass between us and them. Man, if only they had turned and walked to the right instead they'd have been broadside in much more open terrain! We made the decision to pass on the shot and we watched them go out of range.

The bow hunter came back about an hour and a half later and walked right up to us. Said he had a family emergency and had to leave. Walked right through our setup and took the trail the does came in on. Boys decided we should move and reset so we did. Frustrating.

Saw a big solo deer leave the slough about 600 yds away with 30 minutes of shooting left. Marked the spot and saw where he/she was headed into the trees. We'll be nearby waiting tomorrow night! Also heard a buck grunting as time ran out and had a fawn poke its head up 20 yds from us.

Couldn't have asked for a better first night (besides the uninvited guest). I'll update as the season progresses!

How's everyone else's youth season starting?

View attachment 61263

View attachment 61264

View attachment 61265

first off- good luck to your kids I hope they get a chance . 2nd , bow hunters do not need to wear orange except during the regular deer gun season in November . 3rd , uninvited guest ? Was this public/unposted ground ? Can’t Blame a guy for leaving for an emergency can ya? I get the frustration but that’s life , the boys will get their chance

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
first off- good luck to your kids I hope they get a chance . 2nd , bow hunters do not need to wear orange except during the regular deer gun season in November . 3rd , uninvited guest ? Was this public/unposted ground ? Can’t Blame a guy for leaving for an emergency can ya? I get the frustration but that’s life , the boys will get their chance

Oops, my bad - read the reg wrong on orange. Thanks for the clarification! And no, I certainly don't blame him for leaving or walking through where we setup. He was very cordial and we had a nice interaction. Just frustrated with the timing - but then again, he was probably feeling the same!

And to the "uninvited" comment - "unexpected" is probably the term I should have used. Certainly didn't mean he shouldn't be there. It was public land and we're all entitled to it!

Headed back out this evening!

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I only see one rifle. If you need or want another for the young one I have a 22-250 with 3" cut off the stock with a bi pod you can use. Comes with shells if need be. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The youngsters are knockin'em down. I know of 3 so far that will be eating something besides tag stew. Makes me happy in the face!!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The youngsters are knockin'em down. I know of 3 so far that will be eating something besides tag stew. Makes me happy in the face!!!

Nice work KDM! I've always followed your youth adventures and appreciated what you do. Even more so now that I'm out doing it with my own!

- - - Updated - - -

Daught is sick with a cold, and the son has a cross country meet this weekend, so no hunting planned for now. If I'm lucky I'll get out to scout some tomorrow evening. Then as long as sports and colds don't interfere, we'll have next weekend. She does have an any deer tag this year though, so I'm hoping she connects with a good one.

This early hunting is definitely a different experience.

Good luck Alan! Hope things swing in your favor!

- - - Updated - - -

I only see one rifle. If you need or want another for the young one I have a 22-250 with 3" cut off the stock with a bi pod you can use. Comes with shells if need be. LB

Such a kind offer Lbrandt - thank you! I'll send a PM.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, no deer down tonight again. Put on 3 miles round trip to and from our spot. Sure had another fun one though!

Had a few does in the 250 yard range that were shooters. A little far for the boys' comfort so we let them walk.

Also had a fawn walk out of the cattails and flank us, then turn and slowly creep directly towards the blind. She closed from 60 yds to 20 yds a few steps at a time before she decided it was time to get lost. Got some video of the boys watching her with her in the background. They thought it was the coolest thing so far - I think they're hooked if they weren't before!

Hitting it early tomorrow to beat the heat. Fingers crossed!

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fortunately for us my son tagged out Friday night. Made a great shot at 212. Followed up this morning with a coyote at 240 that was part of both of ours first triple. Good luck to you guys and all other youth hunters out there.

Attachments

F8946FE0-4F3F-4EDF-BE3A-2CB253FFB0B0.jpg

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fortunately for us my son tagged out Friday night. Made a great shot at 212. Followed up this morning with a coyote at 240 that was part of both of ours first triple. Good luck to you guys and all other youth hunters out there.

Great job Dad! Sounds like one hell of a Friday night! And Saturday morning cartoons are a waste of time when you can be shooting yotes instead!

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was my daughters third youth season and shes got a hellova record. Three shots and three kills. Last night was the quickest experience she has had. Just got settled in overlooking a 10 acre alfalfa field and deer started coming in. Waited until a dry doe came out and she made a perfect heart shot at 150 yards with her 270. Pretty sure i get the shakes more when she is behind the trigger than when its my own tag. Such a great experience!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit it early this morning - only had my youngest along because my oldest has been battling a cold and we let him sleep in. Having only one son with was such a different bonding experience! He picked the spot, so we walked in and sat down to glass a slough where we've seen movement in our previous trips.

We didn't shoot today, only saw one doe at around 500 yards. Got in before first light and out by 10 am to beat the heat.

He's already asking if we can cut school a little early to get out this week. My boss told me to just tell him what I need so we get the time required to make it happen....formulating a plan as we speak!

Bonus - my son picked up his first shed today, to which he said "kind of got half a buck" lol.

So the adventure continues....

Update: We have a line on some very promising ground with an extremely gracious host. Kids will DEFINITELY be getting out of school early until we close on the deal for both of them or the season ends. So very grateful and beyond excited! There's school....then there's "school". They'll be learning even though they're not in a traditional classroom!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has been one of the better threads in a long, LONG, time.

Can't wait to hear how it ends.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kids are fun! I'm hoping you get to fill both tags!

Last year we were lucky to have a friend let us shoot one on his property. Turns out it was an old doe that kept busting him when he was archery hunting. So he was stoked we put her down! Win-win!

This year, my father-in-law came up from AZ to participate. We were able to put a nice little buck down Friday evening! What an awesome experience! After my boy shot it he turned to me and lifted his leg to show me how bad he was shaking. He said "dad, I don't know why I'm shaking so bad! I'm not even scared" What a hoot! His first buck fever! He didn't understand why he was shaking so bad! He made the cleanest shot I've ever seen. Just clipped the bottom of the heart. Made it easy for my boy to track!

Capture.jpg

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to those kids/parents who have had success already, and goodluck to those who still have tags to fill! I think the youth seasons for kids is AWESOME. Last year was bittersweet as it was the final year for youth tags in my house. We had success over the years with my 4 daughters deer hunting, and we have some great memories from those experiences.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm enjoying living vicariously through those of you getting out with your kids! I have three daughters and the oldest had her first tag last fall. We had a good time together practicing with the .22, then picking out and getting her own rifle. We sat a couple times without a shot opportunity before her cousin came out to try to fill his tag. He was successful but when she saw his dead deer, she decided killing something wasn't for her at this point. Second daughter is a big time animal lover that I don't see as very likely to want to hunt at this point anyway. The third is probably my best shot at a legit hunting buddy, but that's a few years off so we shall see! All of them enjoy shooting both firearms and bows with me and scouting for deer so I'm glad for that time together at least! Something about the thrill of an actual hunt is what I'm enjoying from other's posts I think. Keep them coming!!

HammsRMK

Honored Member
My daughter had her first tag this year as well. We had a blind set up on a quarter of land at the end of some tree rows and a big slough that runs through the property to the north of us. First night she has ever been in a blind and we had a doe at 8 yards out the wrong side of the blind. I purchased one of the Rhino 180's the blind you can see though but they "can't" see you. We were set up to shoot east and two different doe came from the north. We tried to spin the gun and open another hole to shoot through. When we got set up the doe just kept walking back and forth not stopping for a clean shot. I was proud that she didn't feel comfortable and didn't take the shot. The second night we had one of the same doe come at us she got to 30 yards and expired 5 yards later. Perfect heart shot and then the tears started. First time she had seen something get taken and it was very emotional for both of us. She didn't want to touch it she didn't want to be there when I gutted it but her little sister was right there watching my every move. Got the animal home, hung, and cut up that night. I had a conversation with her on Sunday morning and asked now that everything was done and had time to think if she would ever wanted to hunt deer again and she smiled and said yes. Pretty proud dad and good luck to all that have tags left!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep the stories rolling in! Such awesome memories being shared!!!

We are headed out today in the rain at 2:45, should be hunting by 4. Like I mentioned, the game has completely changed due to a very generous hearted "greedy landowner" who reached out and invited us to come hunt some prime area. I hope the sarcasm rings loud and clear on the "greedy landowner" comment :)

I left work at noon to reorganize gear, picking the kids up early from school, and head out. My four hours of work never felt so long!

If we don't connect tonight, we'll wash-rinse-repeat until we do. The three of us are hooked!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good times CatDaddy. I had a grandson out this week-end. He thinks my 6.5 Creedmoor is the cats meow. He wasn't wild about dragging the deer, but the landowner drove over with his tractor and said dump it in the bucket. He crossed the small creek with the tractor and dropped it right at the truck, them took off before we coukd thank him. I think I see a turkey or ham in his future.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74