Youth Deer Season

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m all for youth hunting but what if we moved the age back ? Say , start them at 14 and give them 5 years of guaranteed tags (14-18years old). I see no reason a 10-12 year old needs to be shooting deer with a gun most (not all) aren’t ready . Just a thought

Just curious 8...do you have any kids?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m all for youth hunting but what if we moved the age back ? Say , start them at 14 and give them 5 years of guaranteed tags (14-18years old). I see no reason a 10-12 year old needs to be shooting deer with a gun most (not all) aren’t ready . Just a thought

I see your point, however my 11 year old girls went out this fall with the rifles for the first time after plenty of practicing/range time and I was confident for both of them- one got her doe, other didn't get a shot- they also love to bow hunt and I hope are hooked and excited to hunt with me as long as I am around. I'm only speculating, but I think if they would have to wait until 14-15 years old to be able to do more than just watch, we'd end up losing a lot of kids as teenage priorities are different than 6th grade priorities.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I personally prefer the AK system. There is no age restriction, it's up to the parents. Before the age of 10, I can have my kids use mine or my wives tags under our direct supervision. I'll gladly give up my tags for my kids. They can have their own OTC or draw tags after the age of 10, but still have the option of using a parent's tag under direct supervision from age 11-17. There are only a few "youth hunts" here. There are a handful of draw tag hunts that allow early opportunity, and a general youth sheep season that opens 10 days early for kids younger than 10 using a parent's tag.

I have plenty of friends that have had their kids kill black bear, moose, and caribou as early as age 6. If a kid can shoot a turkey at that age, why can't they shoot a bear on bait or a moose at 50 yards with a kill zone the size of a 30 gallon drum? I plan to take my boy on his first moose hunt (that he can shoot) right before his 6th birthday as long as he can pass my shooting requirements.

Less government. I'm the parent.

And fantastic thread OP! Real good stuff!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So much depends on the physical and especially mental maturity of the child, and a lot also depends on the maturity of the person teaching and taking the child. There should be no hard cutoff age for kids that says they should or should not be shooting or hunting. Some adults never reach the maturity level that I see in some pre-teens and that’s the God honest truth.

My biggest fear about a particular child being too young and a parent pushing them too far too soon is that the kid gets turned off from hunting altogether. I’ve seen it happen. My other biggest fear is waiting too long and missing the opportunity to hook a youngster for life. I’ve seen that happen too.

When I was a kid, I didn’t shoot a shotgun until 12 and rifle until 14. Didn’t matter. As much as I wanted to shoot my first goose or deer, I was so damn stoked just to be going with that there was no breaking me of the hunting bug. 40 years later I’m living, breathing proof that you can get hooked on hunting long before you do any killing.

This should be left up to the (responsible) parent, as should most things. Unfortunately, some parents aren’t great at putting their child’s best interests ahead of their own. I would assume most on this site from what I’ve seen are damn good parents and also know some damn bad parents so you know what I mean.

My oldest daughter started shooting at 9 1/2 years of age. She’s now 10 1/2 and still using the same little .410. She’s never shot anything other than that gun but she’s getting close to a jump up. Next year she will be eligible for her first youth deer tag but I’m not so sure I will take that step yet. I will make that determination after she takes hunter safety and is another 6 months older. As of now, there is NO WAY she’s ready for it. With my other kids…it will also be completely dependent on their own individual physical and mental abilities and things may end up the same or different. We are all gonna have fun hunting until then and after that either way.

This is an awesome thread. What a breath of fresh air!

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious 8...do you have any kids?
Yes I do and yes they’ll hunt

- - - Updated - - -

I guess this is my biggest worry - I don’t this our current system is sustainable. 1 - harvest reporting should be mandatory gf has no clue how many deer we have . There’s a ton of deer getting killed during archery and youth season . Then gun season . The youth deserve auto tags absolutely no doubt . But the rest of the system needs an over haul . Deer rifle tags should /will probably have to be reduced . Or maybe the 1 tag system . Keep the youth season . But there’s too many deer getting killed in the state when u look at the habitat IMO

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations again to the young man. He earned it!! My favorite pic is the one of him zonked out. I love that one!! Oh, and I'm NOT demanding you bring your oldest out to hunt. I just know he will have a better than average chance of getting his first bow buck. That buck you have in the pick is a new buck. My biggest were 8 pointers so far and that one looks like a big 10. Looks to be 4 1/2 years old too. Maybe on second thought.....your son might have a better chance somewhere else. (Grin) :;:

I passed the congrats to Jonah. With a big smile he said "That was one of the coolest experiences of my life!". We are so thankful, your generosity is not taken lightly by our family. You're a part of a "forever" memory for us! Now to get Noah practicing with the bow!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]https://www.minotdailynews.com/news/local-news/2021/09/youth-pheasant-hunt-scheduled-for-saturday/[/h]
The free youth hunt sponsored annually by Pheasants for the Future will be held Saturday in the Minot area.
All youth ages 15 years and younger who have met their hunter education requirements and are properly licensed are invited to enjoy a day in the field with flushing roosters and camaraderie.

Hunters must possess a $1 Fishing, Hunting and Furbearers certificate and a $20 General Game and Fish Habitat Stamp, available at any license vendor or online at gf.nd.gov.com.

The event begins at 9 a.m. Participants may hunt at either Pheasants for the Future-sponsored PLOTS land near Rice Lake or the Movchan property by Bergen.

Each licensed youth hunter may hunt and harvest up to three roosters for a specified amount of time to be announced at the event. Hunters keep the birds they harvest.

If a parent or other adult supervisor is not available or does not plan to accompany the youth hunter in the field, a Pheasants for the Future board member will accompany the hunter as time allows.

Pheasants for the Future will provide each youth with a hat, shells, lunch and an opportunity to shoot clays as they wait a turn in the field.

Visit Pheasants for the Future’s Facebook page for an advance registration form. Registrations also will be taken Saturday at either hunting site. To reach the Rice Lake property, travel south on U.S. Highway 83 and turn west on 177th Avenue. Continue west four miles after the pavement ends. To reach the Movchan property, travel southeast on U.S. Highway 52 past Velva and Voltaire. Take the first right (south) after mile marker 126, a mile west of Bergen, onto Seventh Avenue North. Continue for eight miles. The property will be on the east.

Alternatively, travel west two miles from Butte on N.D. Highway 53. Turn right (north) onto Sixth Avenue North and continue for one mile before turning left (west) onto 30th Street Northwest. Go one mile and turn right (north) onto Seventh Avenue North, continuing for 3.5 miles. The property will be on the east.

For more information about the event or the locations, call Kris Walker 260 0046 or Petter Thunshelle 822-2345.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son was not successful in harvesting during the youth season but it wasn't for lack of trying. Be back out in November
20210924_145322.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have always been a proponent of the 14 year old rule for no other reason than that's what I grew up with as well as my kids. Having also been a HE instructor for more than 30 years I also know that kids mature at different ages. An example would be a young man or woman who has grown up hunting at an early age with direct supervision of a parent or other adult. Now I'm not so much of an appropriate age as I am of an adult deciding when the time is appropriate. In HE classes it doesn't take long to identify the ones who have handled a gun quite a bit and is very comfortable handing firearms. For some, through no fault of their own, it's quite clear that this is the first time they've had a gun in their hands.

With all of that my main concern is finding a way for keeping the youth involved in the sport of hunting. In my mind a constant failure in drawing a tag is not doing much to encourage new hunters to continue. In any case let's keep that main thought in mind and not worry so much about when the best age to start hunting is. Perhaps it's start at the age decided by the parent and then guarantee a tag (for arguments sake) for 5 years. That might be age 10-14 for some and age 14-18 for others. If we're doing what is best for the young hunters alll other rules are minor.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad took me to MT Antelope hunting when I was 12 because ND said I was too young for big-game hunting @ home.

My 12yr old has decided for now that she'd rather not hunt, she barely has it in her to discipline the dog. That said, she will not have any choice in the matter regarding whether or not to continue firearms proficiency training. IMO, shooting and safe handling of firearms is a life skill like pumping your own fuel or changing a tire.

My 8yr old however was wondering if her sister could still get a tag so that she could shoot 2 deer? We'll see in a few years if she's still that interested or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Two does walked out about 30 minutes before sunset, and he nailed one at 170 yards. 85 Barnes TSX blew through the heart and exited the through the offside shoulder.

The 85 TSX kills WAY outside it's weight-class. Sinister little projectile they are.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In SD when I grew up, we couldn't get a hunting license until 12. So no one ever should ever be able to hunt before age 12 since I couldn't. :mad:

Aint like that any more they got rid of the age restriction. Have to wait to 12 to apply for antlered tag but can start shooting does anytime

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think I may have been on that trail once or twice. It's an incredible hike!

Beautiful scenery but no way in hell I'm hiking on that trail. Don't have a fear of heights, but do have a fear of falling. There must be a nice buck someplace that thinks like me.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aint like that any more they got rid of the age restriction. Have to wait to 12 to apply for antlered tag but can start shooting does anytime

Well if that's not a kick in the nuts to my 11 year old self. Begged my dad but all I could haul around was an old BB gun. Best Xmas gift I ever got was my side by side 20 GA the year before I could legally hunt.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75