Youth Deer Season

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Awesome buck and congrats to your son. Good on you for taking him out and shout out to kdm for the generosity.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations to the youngster. He got a real trophy. For those who are into stats and numbers, here's his numbers:

Right Side: Beam 23 7/8, Brow 5 2/8, G2 10 7/8, G3 7 4/8 Mass Measurements: 5, 4, 4, 2 7/8

Left Side: Beam 23 2/8, Brow 4 7/8, G2 10 3/8, G3 8 Mass Measurements: 4 7/8, 4 1/8, 3 7/8, 2 7/8

Width: 17 7/8

Feel free to check my math. It wasn't my best subject in school. Again, Congratulations to the youngster!! Now we need to work on his bow buck. That would be a first for him too. (Grin)

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Youngest and I are headed out to get him his chance at a memory. He's got a gray doe in mind that he saw the other night but didn't have a shot he was comfortable with. It'll just be him and I tonight - very much looking forward to it!

My challenge will be to make it his own memory and equally special as his brother's in its own way. Wish us luck!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Real class act KDM, real class act. The good Lord rewards those who are generous and have compassion. You sir are one of a kind.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread...story. Thanks to KDM for providing the opportunity and CatDaddy for sharing story!! You guys Rock!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tonight was a learning experience, as every sit has been this year. It was slow for movement - wind not in the most favorable direction, combines taking down beans, and much warmer than Monday's adventure. Saw some does at about 300 yards but on the hoof and too far away. Lots of good though from tonights adventure and continuing to make memories!

My son and I talked about what we learned, how to use that in the future, and just how deer are creatures of nature all we can do is put the clues together to make a best guess at what's going on. KDM shared his years of knowledge after the hunt and I took every bit in as pieces of the puzzle we're putting together. My boy is dead set on going back tomorrow because he knows he can't shoot a deer from the couch!

Chapter 6 for us tomorrow!

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Getting a deer is a tiny piece of the whole adventure. Getting your boys out, off YouTube, and just getting them talking is worth way more. We've had our share of strikeouts deer hunting, but there are always good takeaways. Time with the kids, seeing something you've never seen before, a chance to learn that everything doesn't always go your way.

That said, best of luck getting that deer. The rest is all good, but there's nothing wrong with things going right.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting a deer is a tiny piece of the whole adventure. Getting your boys out, off YouTube, and just getting them talking is worth way more. We've had our share of strikeouts deer hunting, but there are always good takeaways. Time with the kids, seeing something you've never seen before, a chance to learn that everything doesn't always go your way.

That said, best of luck getting that deer. The rest is all good, but there's nothing wrong with things going right.

I couldn't agree more. We are learning about deer, but more importantly we're learning so much about each other! Nature is pretty neat too it turns out :) ....

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yep that's what hunting is truly all about, not just killing a critter. If only the non-hunters could experience it just once they might understand it's importance. A kill lasts only seconds, the experiences and memories last a lifetime!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We sat tonight in what turned out to be an absolutely beautiful evening. No deer showed up until last light - one fork buck, not something he could shoot.

It was a fantastic evening even without the deer cooperating. Just me and my youngest. With the weather changing and his season nearing an end we'll be out at noon tomorrow to give it a long try!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We filled our final youth tag tonight. We had a good time but learned that my daughter doesn't like hunting and won't be putting in again. Maybe in a few years. I'm not disappointed at all. She made a clean double lung shot and the deer went about thirty yards. Awesome evening and I'm just happy that she gave it her best effort to find out if she likes hunting or not. She is like her grandma and aunt, she's got a tender heart and didn't like watching it die.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grand daughter came yesterday. Picked wrong stand last night and again wrong one this morning, So off to the third stand tonight. Doe bring there young with them and have not told her that. So will see. db

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Youngest and I are headed out to get him his chance at a memory. He's got a gray doe in mind that he saw the other night but didn't have a shot he was comfortable with. It'll just be him and I tonight - very much looking forward to it!

My challenge will be to make it his own memory and equally special as his brother's in its own way. Wish us luck!

Well, Jonah got his doe! Pics and story to come when I have a free minute. We succeeded in making it it's own epic adventure - for many reasons :)

I'd post sooner but I'm busy right now trimming meat and making some fresh venison chili!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job Dads

I took a 14 year old girl out this morning for a bear.
She got a whopper!
20210926_102720.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82