M10 Cow Moose

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cow moose tag for area M10 and plan to rifle hunt with season starting on Ocober 8th. I plan to do some preseason scouting but if anyone is willing to share any information relative to recent observations, it would be appreciated. It is a huge area so need all of the pointers that I can get. Thanks in advance.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunted pheasants in that area last fall. There was no shortage of moose. Have heard that many landowners are helpful. When you're there I would make some visits and see what you find. My experience is that many landowners are helpful when looking for moose and usually also helpful when it come time to retrieve and load in your vehicle. Good luck.

As an example, last year on one day of pheasant hunting I saw 8 different moose just out feeding.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
North of US 2 and west of Minot and north to the Canadian border. The whole NW corner of ND!
Where’s M10

- - - Updated - - -

So in what general area were you hunting pheasants? It's a big area! LOL
Hunted pheasants in that area last fall. There was no shortage of moose. Have heard that many landowners are helpful. When you're there I would make some visits and see what you find. My experience is that many landowners are helpful when looking for moose and usually also helpful when it come time to retrieve and load in your vehicle. Good luck.

As an example, last year on one day of pheasant hunting I saw 8 different moose just out feeding.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best advice I can give is when your out scouting, walk into the local cafe in the morning.... have breakfast and do some visiting.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most farmers and ranchers hate them. They destroy crops and fences. Go to the local elevators and agronomy locations and ask, leave your phone number with them.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
North of US 2 and west of Minot and north to the Canadian border. The whole NW corner of ND!

- - - Updated - - -

So in what general area were you hunting pheasants? It's a big area! LOL
I drove Hwy 5 from Mohall to Crosby. Occasionally drove north or south a few miles to hunt. You might find a moose anywhere along that road. There are actually moose crossing signs on Hwy 5 west of Mohall. My experience with moose is it's a scouting trip by driving, not walking. unless you actually see some sign where you want to walk.

The last moose hunt I was on helping a guy I put on well over a 1000 miles and saw one moose. Then got a tip of a nice bull about 50 miles away. Drove over there, found the moose at sundown. Went back the next morning. There he was about 400 yds out in a field. Hunter worked closer for a shot and then after hours of driving and looking it was over. Patience and realize it only takes one. It's a waste of time, in my opinion, to walk a patch of cover because "it looks like good moose cover." There are moose in every unit, just not behind every bush. Good luck and talk to locals.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has always been fair numbers of moose up in the portal area. We’re a couple nice bulls NW of Williston but I haven’t seen them at all the last six months.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends where you live but I would focus around the Sherwood area. I will reach out to a rancher friend and see what they have been seeing, but I know the area has quite a few moose.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has a cow tag in M10 as well. Shoot me a pm and we can to narrow down the area. We'll be based out of the Bowbells area.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67