Tim wells

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure - they’re too close to human I guess - feel too much empathy somehow

taking animals that large with blowguns isn’t a real humane way either / that’s probably a contributing factor to the ickiness factor

- - - Updated - - -

I’d maybe kill them w rifles if they were problematic (depredation, etc)

but shoving big friggin darts in them from 10 ft is borderline psycho

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could probably whack them from longer range with a rifle as well. I would also be letting them lay, as I don't care to eat one and I certainly don't want the freaky thing staring at me in my den.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandson met Tim Wells this summer at an archery tourney in Superior, Wisconsin. He said the guy is an absolute hoot.
This reminds me I have a 38 caliber blowgun somewhere. I will need to find it. It's amazingly accurate at ten yards. It's hard to believe that your breath can push a dart through 1/2 inch plywood. I have shot cottontails with homemade broadleaf from my blowgun. I have shot 38 caliber Bullets at concrete and they mushroom about half way back. This from a five foot polished aluminum blow gun. I often wonder if one of the air rifle companies makes a light skirted pellet that could be used in a blowgun.

Old weapons are interesting. Years ago I took first place at the North Dakota Muzzleloaders annual tourney with a tomahawk. I can do ok with knives, and an atlatyl, but just can't get the hang of a boomerang. I have used a sling ( David and Golyith type) for many years. Mostly to flush game. I tried getting a permit from Game and Fish to use a spear during bow season, but that was a big no.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
How come? I don’t think it’s any different than shooting a coyote or a deer. It’s still a wild animal. Given the opportunity I’d shoot the shit out of them. I’ve been in Missouri several times and hunted boars. We never shot them, but would track them and catch them alive. What a blast!!!! Rope them, hog tie them, take pictures, then let them go. It was more dangerous letting them go than catching them. They get real angry.

I've always wondered under what circumstances I would say "hold my beer and watch this shit". Now I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of ya'all are unnecessarily feeling pretty good about your standing in the animal kingdom about now.

- - - Updated - - -

Damnit, the image is the one with the baboon's junk preserved for all eternity.

What kind of sick taxidermist skins out a weiner?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baboons drag babies out of huts and eat babies alive . I would have no problem bashing them in the head with a Louisville slugger. Nasty animals. Dead is dead rifle , blow gun or rear naked choke just a different road to get to the same destination

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me that hunting something that resembles us, brings to mind images of the Schwarzenegar movie Running Man.

I have no doubt that the baboons would have no qualms if the tables were turned. I have no doubt that a 100 lb buck 'boon would tear you a new one, given the chance. Even so, watching them use tools to eat, exist in families (packs) and look a person right in the eyes, would give me pause, at 10 yards. At that distance though, if you didn't seal the deal, they'd be at your throat in seconds, and then you better have a plan B.

It's interesting how we think nothing of killing and eating some animals, but shy away from others. Sometimes that's because of a cuteness factor. I love eating fish, but eating dolphin (the mammal) surely seems icky. I love chicken, but Bald Eagle sure doesn't seem right. I think eating a Sea Lion, Leopard Seal, or Walrus would be just fine, but killing baby harp seals seems to be "wrong".

In the end, it's meat. In the Bible, God put man in dominion over the animals, for our use. I totally understand it.

Of course, in other cultures, things are different too. I love a steak, but in some parts of the world, cows are divine. I guess I define "divine" more along the lines of "medium-rare".

Just my two cents..

Jaykay

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to me that hunting something that resembles us, brings to mind images of the Schwarzenegar movie Running Man.

I have no doubt that the baboons would have no qualms if the tables were turned. I have no doubt that a 100 lb buck 'boon would tear you a new one, given the chance. Even so, watching them use tools to eat, exist in families (packs) and look a person right in the eyes, would give me pause, at 10 yards. At that distance though, if you didn't seal the deal, they'd be at your throat in seconds, and then you better have a plan B.

It's interesting how we think nothing of killing and eating some animals, but shy away from others. Sometimes that's because of a cuteness factor. I love eating fish, but eating dolphin (the mammal) surely seems icky. I love chicken, but Bald Eagle sure doesn't seem right. I think eating a Sea Lion, Leopard Seal, or Walrus would be just fine, but killing baby hard seals seems to be "wrong".

In the end, it's meat. In the Bible, God put man in dominion over the animals, for our use. I totally understand it.

Of course, in other cultures, things are different too. I love a steak, but in some parts of the world, cows are divine. I guess I define "divine" more along the lines of "medium-rare".

Just my two cents..

Jaykay

Ya i aint eating it. Unless im real hungry the villagers could have the fresh meat

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have no problems offing a baboon. And I'd at least like to taste it...once! The good thing is, we don't have baboons in the US and not many of us will pay to go hunt them.

This blow gun deal looks like fun though!

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Watching the videos of him smoke ducks and doves out of the sky with a bow is nothing short of impressive. Hell of a marksman

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75