Bring out your dead!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two completely different diseases mean two completely different responses. CWD is thought to be transmitted through bodily fluid contact so they try to prevent that, weather that's effective or not is certainly up for debate. EHD is transmitted by a midge that is often found in shallow warm water where the mud has been disturbed by cattle aka "cattle ponds". Outside of banning stock dams on land there isn't really much they can do which is why you don't hear much on regulations or prevention.

They have salt blocks for cattle that have garlic in them and some guys found that the deer die off was alot less in the areas that those blocks were in and the deer also used them. garlic is a natural repellant to bugs i guess. Then the game and fish found out and accused them of baiting. The gfp generally does a good job here i think but this is a fail and they should be putting out those salt blocks all over.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The real problem are the midget midges....they just need a little water.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can they figure out some kind of pesticide to put in the water to kill the midges like mosquito dunks or something maybe?

Then I suppose the enviro wackos will be screaming midget lives matter!;:;rofl

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have salt blocks for cattle that have garlic in them and some guys found that the deer die off was alot less in the areas that those blocks were in and the deer also used them. garlic is a natural repellant to bugs i guess. Then the game and fish found out and accused them of baiting. The gfp generally does a good job here i think but this is a fail and they should be putting out those salt blocks all over.

salt blocks are illegal in many parts of western ND, thank God

had G&F not acted we'd have CWD all over the place :::

- - - Updated - - -

is salt illegal in SD too?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say just add a $10 EHD fee to the ANS fee, that'll clear it up for sure...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
salt blocks are illegal in many parts of western ND, thank God

had G&F not acted we'd have CWD all over the place :::

- - - Updated - - -

is salt illegal in SD too?

Not for cattle but all baiting is illegal here for deer. They used semantics to try and bust people

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

Garlic repels midgets...nice to know...learn something everyday!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What regulation do you suggest to stop EHD?

Oh....how about.....NONE!!!!! Regulations are for sportsmen. Why do the sportsmen have to get punished for something the game and fish should damn well take care of themselves?? Where are the piles of dead deer due to cwd that we were told by the game and fish we would see if they weren't allowed to ban everything?? I have yet to see them. Wyoming has yet to see them. Wisconsin has yet to see them. These are the powerhouses of CWD by the way and these locations still have BOOMING deer and elk (not in Wisconsin) populations even after 25 years of CWD. However, we seem to see PILES of dead deer every year due to EHD, right in our own back yards. The vector or transmitting agent for EHD as we all know is a biting midge. More specifically a member of the genus culicoides of the family Ceratopogonidae. In short they are aquatic biting FLIES. Mosquitos are aquatic flies and we control them in a good number of cities and small towns with great success. Aerial applications of insecticides is just one method to control for aquatic flies. There is also long lasting time released pellets or dunks. There are biological methods such as adding predatory minnows to a body of water and other predatory insects. All one has to do is google control methods for culicoides and biting midges and you will get pages of research on techniques and materials that help control them. Why can't the game and fish use some of the money we give them to control these midges to, oh IDK, maybe try to PROTECT the deer herd? No, I guess thinking the game and fish would want to protect the deer herd is silly. They seem more interested in protecting mountain lions, banning stuff, creating more regulations, furthering the governors political agenda, and increasing their own budgets that we as sportsmen then have to pay for. EHD DOES NOT NEED REGULATION!!! It needs sound management and control which in my opinion our game and fish is WOEFULLY UNQUALIFIED to implement. Apparently it's much easier to ban and regulate the sportsmen into oblivion than it is to do some EHD research (Maybe call NDSU Entomology (bugs) Dept for some assistance), put together a control program, staff it, equip it, and them implement it like the game managers the game and fish claim to be. I'm SICK of hearing about more regulations and bans. We don't need them. We need the game and fish to do their jobs and work to protect and expand the deer herd for the good of the sportsmen. Isn't that what they are paid to do???

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh....how about.....NONE!!!!! Regulations are for sportsmen. Why do the sportsmen have to get punished for something the game and fish should damn well take care of themselves?? Where are the piles of dead deer due to cwd that we were told by the game and fish we would see if they weren't allowed to ban everything?? I have yet to see them. Wyoming has yet to see them. Wisconsin has yet to see them. These are the powerhouses of CWD by the way and these locations still have BOOMING deer and elk (not in Wisconsin) populations even after 25 years of CWD. However, we seem to see PILES of dead deer every year due to EHD, right in our own back yards. The vector or transmitting agent for EHD as we all know is a biting midge. More specifically a member of the genus culicoides of the family Ceratopogonidae. In short they are aquatic biting FLIES. Mosquitos are aquatic flies and we control them in a good number of cities and small towns with great success. Aerial applications of insecticides is just one method to control for aquatic flies. There is also long lasting time released pellets or dunks. There are biological methods such as adding predatory minnows to a body of water and other predatory insects. All one has to do is google control methods for culicoides and biting midges and you will get pages of research on techniques and materials that help control them. Why can't the game and fish use some of the money we give them to control these midges to, oh IDK, maybe try to PROTECT the deer herd? No, I guess thinking the game and fish would want to protect the deer herd is silly. They seem more interested in protecting mountain lions, banning stuff, creating more regulations, furthering the governors political agenda, and increasing their own budgets that we as sportsmen then have to pay for. EHD DOES NOT NEED REGULATION!!! It needs sound management and control which in my opinion our game and fish is WOEFULLY UNQUALIFIED to implement. Apparently it's much easier to ban and regulate the sportsmen into oblivion than it is to do some EHD research (Maybe call NDSU Entomology (bugs) Dept for some assistance), put together a control program, staff it, equip it, and them implement it like the game managers the game and fish claim to be. I'm SICK of hearing about more regulations and bans. We don't need them. We need the game and fish to do their jobs and work to protect and expand the deer herd for the good of the sportsmen. Isn't that what they are paid to do???
Has there been any studies done or any states that have successfully used any of your methods on a large scale to combat EHD and if so what is the cost associated with it?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we had what......3 cases of CWD last year which sets off bait bans, transportation bans, consumption warnings, and a whole host of regulatory stupidity and yet we can have hundreds of pics of dead deer due to EHD and we get what .......... nothing, nada, zip. Which disease is the real threat to the deer herd and which disease in a political buzz word to further a political agenda? You be the judge.

Super good question. Reminds me of another fire we have going in the news, this past 18 months. What was it again? Oh yeah, COVID.

Alright, didn't mean to derail this thread from its present course, which obviously is - baiting biting midgets.

Carry on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
240_F_5982791_CviHca0MHj6lAG4LmMiyCNeKOBd2kqxm.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has there been any studies done or any states that have successfully used any of your methods on a large scale to combat EHD and if so what is the cost associated with it?

Yes! I've personally been involved with culicoides control at Paris Island for the Marines. It works!!! We did aerial spray with a C130. So maybe do some of your own research and find out for yourself. The science is there and it's NOT hard to find. Like I said google "culicoides control" and you will get pages of information from the US as well as Europe. Happy Researching!!!

Last edited:

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You're supposed to leave the bugs on PI. It makes the time there so much more enjoyable.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're supposed to leave the bugs on PI. It makes the time there so much more enjoyable.

I think your definition of enjoyable and my definition of enjoyable are a bit different. Myself and the other Wingnuts were very happy to kill those little demon blood suckers and give the "baby marines" as well as their overseers a bit of relief. PI is a whole nuther world so to speak and I take my hat off to all who survive that training and become MARINES!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have visited PI myself, to characterize hazardous waste in the subsurface.

Yeah, we found some.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes! I've personally been involved with culicoides control at Paris Island for the Marines. It works!!! We did aerial spray with a C130. So maybe do some of your own research and find out for yourself. The science is there and it's NOT hard to find. Like I said google "culicoides control" and you will get pages of information from the US as well as Europe. Happy Researching!!!

I've looked a fair amount and haven't come across anything where it was used in the United States to control EHD in wild deer populations. I keep coming across articles and studies pointing out the logistics, cost, ineffectiveness and environmental concerns of these applications. My intuition says cost and environmental concerns are the major hurdle and make it pretty much a non-starter.

Unfortunately, effective Culicoides control strategies do not currently exist, primarily because many of the fundamental biological/ecological aspects of the biting midge species involved in BTV/EHDV transmission are unknown.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've looked a fair amount and haven't come across anything where it was used in the United States to control EHD in wild deer populations. I keep coming across articles and studies pointing out the logistics, cost, ineffectiveness and environmental concerns of these applications in this regard. My intuition says cost and environmental concerns are the major hurdle and make it pretty much a non-starter.

Unfortunately, effective Culicoides control strategies do not currently exist, primarily because many of the fundamental biological/ecological aspects of the biting midge species involved in BTV/EHDV transmission are unknown.

It's called PARALLEL RESEARCH!! Using a methodology that has proven itself to be successful in a closely related situation. It's how cowpox infections led to a small pox treatment as well as an untold number of other solutions to significant problems. Culicoides was been successfully controlled in several human situations, several livestock situations, and in multiple locations and environments. To discard this knowledge and not use it just because it hasn't been used to protect wild deer is beyond foolish and borders on complete stupidity. We have a real problem here in ND with EHD and all you can come up with based on a fair amount of looking into the issue and your own personal intuition is to do nothing?? WOW!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74