Bring out your dead!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good hard freeze can't come soon enough around here. So far I've got 3 dead from EHD, that little buck really had some promise for a wild year and a half buck.

20210921_145007.jpg

20210921_151638.jpg

20210921_151914.jpg

Thankfully I have a very large burn pile again, so I'm just tossing them on top of that to try and keep the dog from enjoying them. I'll get around to roasting them when we get a good snow.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
deaddeer1.jpgdeaddeer.jpgfound these 2 on a short walk along the creek on Sunday, didn't look real hard as I am very gimpy with a bad knee at this time. Afraid of what I would find if I put a real effort into it. I found another one in a cattail area but couldn't get at it as it was in a marshy area, looked like a real good buck also. Will take muck boots or waders next trip up and try to retrieve him and see what we lost there.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is it even safe to harvest a deer this year?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
by gun season we should have had a hard freeze by then and the death will stop for the most part and any deer at that time should be fine. But bow hunters at at this time could be taking a effected deer. They say there is no threat of human transfer but if a deer looks sick at all I wouldn't harvest. Where I am hunting it is pretty bad, a lot of the deer I had on camera all summer are gone. Finally get the herd built up and then wham, SUCKS but that is Mother Nature. Hard frost or freeze kills the mites and stop progression of the disease for most part

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks that's good to know. I'm glad cold kill the midgets.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we had what......3 cases of CWD last year which sets off bait bans, transportation bans, consumption warnings, and a whole host of regulatory stupidity and yet we can have hundreds of pics of dead deer due to EHD and we get what .......... nothing, nada, zip. Which disease is the real threat to the deer herd and which disease in a political buzz word to further a political agenda? You be the judge.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of the three deer with CWD I’d be curious to know if they were even ill in any way.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really dislike the smell

It wasn't pretty.

On the plus side, I did it right before lunch. So it curbed the appetite quite nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

So we had what......3 cases of CWD last year which sets off bait bans, transportation bans, consumption warnings, and a whole host of regulatory stupidity and yet we can have hundreds of pics of dead deer due to EHD and we get what .......... nothing, nada, zip. Which disease is the real threat to the deer herd and which disease in a political buzz word to further a political agenda? You be the judge.

It would be fun to watch NDGF try to enforce a no-biting regulation on midges, or even midgets.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wasn't pretty.

On the plus side, I did it right before lunch. So it curbed the appetite quite nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be fun to watch NDGF try to enforce a no-biting regulation on midges, or even midgets.

is it legal to bait midgets?? Because if it is that’s a game changer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it legal to bait midgets?? Because if it is that’s a game changer.

I swear it wasn't me, but I was in Bangkok when a buddy went hard after a height challenged gal. He was waving a $10 bill and she was having none of that. Use this information as you see fit, and you may wish to adjust for 30 yrs of inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s If you reread my post, it clearly says biting.

But I like where you went with this. :;:smokin

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

This is what everyone should be asking.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member

What regulation do you suggest to stop EHD?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What regulation do you suggest to stop EHD?

The commentary is not about more regulation. It is pointing out the absurdity in expanding CWD regulations compared to doing nothing about a problem that is actually killing piles of deer.

Do murder hornets eat midgets?

Does silver iodide kill them? Maybe they can repurpose the rain planes.

What if we require deer to wear face coverings during midget season? Proof of double jab to visit the stock dam?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its a good question.

We understand EHD, so we are okay with it?

We dont understand CWD, so we panic?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two completely different diseases mean two completely different responses. CWD is thought to be transmitted through bodily fluid contact so they try to prevent that, weather that's effective or not is certainly up for debate. EHD is transmitted by a midge that is often found in shallow warm water where the mud has been disturbed by cattle aka "cattle ponds". Outside of banning stock dams on land there isn't really much they can do which is why you don't hear much on regulations or prevention.

IMO CWD is a way scarier disease. It may not have the drastic effect on local deer populations like EHD, but those Prion diseases are scary crap and still not totaly understood. If you've never done any research id suggest it. I think that's why you see more discussion/regulation/paranoia about CWD.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76