Bring out your dead!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im guessing he was being a smart ass. Lol. Maybe I’m wrong.

haha maybe your right.
the sarcasm never crossed my mind at that moment
ive had several people tell me of all the dead deer along the road and if I have heard of the disease going around and I can’t help to think to myself most dead deer along a road are likely road kill but I have no science to back that up. Just good old common sense but that is lacking now days

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found five this weekend and wasn't even looking that hard. One was still alive and we walked within 20 feet of her. She sat there nibbling on grass and could hardly move. Call the local warden and he gave me permission to dispatch her. Returned 30 minutes later and she was already dead.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My work takes me on the road every now and then in and around the Dickinson region. I can definitely say that that when driving in the early morning hours, I'm not seeing many deer at all compared to the past several year. Last year in the area where we bow hunt, we got hit pretty hard losing several nice deer that would have been awesome deer this year. Now we have only 1 spike and 1 forky and only like 3 or 4 doe's coming in...and 1 of them does not look healthy. Then the area where we rifle hunt, the farmer down there indicated that the deer in the area is down drastically. To just help the herd I probably would return my tags for a refund.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmmm... still worried about CWD

Oct. 25, 2021
Hunters Encouraged to Have Deer Tested for CWD

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department will continue its Hunter-Harvested Surveillance program during the 2021 hunting season by sampling deer for chronic wasting disease from select units in the central and western portion of the state.
Samples will be tested from deer taken from units 2H, 2I, 2J1, 2J2, 2K1, 2K2, 3A1, 3A2, 3A3, 3A4, 3B1, 3B3, 3C, 3E1, 3E2, 3F1, 3F2, 4A, 4B and 4C.

CWD is a slow-moving brain disease of deer, moose and elk that can cause population-level impacts under high infection rates.
“Many folks are aware of the fairly bad epizootic hemorrhagic disease year we’ve had,” said Game and Fish veterinarian Dr. Charlie Bahnson. “While EHD is a different disease from CWD, it illustrates the impact diseases can have on our wildlife populations. And unlike EHD, which is cyclical, CWD can become an increasing, annual pressure on our herd.”

Knowing where CWD is in the state and how many deer are infected is critical for managing the disease.

“One major goal is to confidently determine what areas do not have CWD,” Bahnson said. “We need to test a lot of deer to make that assessment, which is why hunters’ willingness to help is so important.”

Hunters are encouraged to drop off heads of adult or yearling deer at collection locations. Fawns and head-shot deer cannot be tested. Hunters wishing to keep the heads can bring them to a Game and Fish district office during business hours to have them sampled.

Results will be provided within four weeks, barring delays, by visiting My Account on the department’s website, gf.nd.gov, where you can also add or update contact information. Click Additional Info for CWD results for lottery licenses or Inbox for results for first-come, first-served licenses.

Hunters should note whole carcasses or heads of deer taken from units 3A1, 3A2, 3B1, 3F2, 4B and 4C may not be transported outside of the unit.

Exception: hunters can transport whole deer carcasses between adjoining CWD carcass restricted units.

More information on CWD, including transportation restrictions, is available at the Game and Fish website.

- - - Updated - - -

seems a little drop in the bucket-ish to me

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If anything will put the kabosh on CWD, it’s all the deer dying from EHD.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty,

Do you mind if I plagiarize your comment and play it over and over at every Board meeting and other functions?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anything will put the kabosh on CWD, it’s all the deer dying from EHD.
Now don't give the modern market hunters an excuse to get excited. I would expect that large numbers of deer dying would slow the spread of CWD, but expecting it to do more is like putting your faith in Moderna.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Battle of diseases. Tale as old as time itself

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now don't give the modern market hunters an excuse to get excited. I would expect that large numbers of deer dying would slow the spread of CWD, but expecting it to do more is like putting your faith in Moderna.

And then that guy or the federal guy comes in yet again to try to wrap this discussion around his axel. Trust me, I am not excited about thousands upon thousands of dead deer. I have ten elk dead from EHD.

Funny you should mention Moderna. A couple years ago Moderna was a $6 Billion dollar company and now is a $206 Billion dollar company. EHD mirrors Corona Viruses in many ways. The culicoides midge has a virus in its saliva that copy messenger RNA to an animals DNA, proteins and spike proteins.

Moderna is all about mRNA but probably won't go close to this. How would Game and Fish administer the vaccine?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has cwd wiped out whole regions in a years time before? Or is it the means the ethics police decided to get there end.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Found five this weekend and wasn't even looking that hard. One was still alive and we walked within 20 feet of her. She sat there nibbling on grass and could hardly move. Call the local warden and he gave me permission to dispatch her. Returned 30 minutes later and she was already dead.
that's sad story nd.

Great read KDM...thanx for sharing,grey beard speaks well.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else find this intersting:
Exception: hunters can transport whole deer carcasses between adjoining CWD carcass restricted units.

Apparently it's OK to spread it around already infected units? Their fucking hypocrisy knows no bounds!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
And then that guy or the federal guy comes in yet again to try to wrap this discussion around his axel. Trust me, I am not excited about thousands upon thousands of dead deer. I have ten elk dead from EHD.

Funny you should mention Moderna. A couple years ago Moderna was a $6 Billion dollar company and now is a $206 Billion dollar company. EHD mirrors Corona Viruses in many ways. The culicoides midge has a virus in its saliva that copy messenger RNA to an animals DNA, proteins and spike proteins.

Moderna is all about mRNA but probably won't go close to this. How would Game and Fish administer the vaccine?

That's very interesting Fritz. We have some species of Ceratapagonidae in our area, but have never run across Culicoides. Some started reproducing in my pond, ( not Culicoides)but I run a hundred small fish in there and not a mosquitoes or a midge make it out alive. I need to investigate this further. I woukd like to know their habitat requirements and water chemistry preferred etc.
As far as CWD maybe it or mad cow has already jumped to humans. It woukd explain AOC and squad.::: Do their eyes bug out and look crazy like AOC?

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bats to humans to deer.

Thanks Fauci.

- - - Updated - - -

Call the local warden and he gave me permission to dispatch her.

You know who I would NOT call for a deer disease issue? (because all they'll do is feel-good measures that have no impact and take freedoms away from people)

Hmmm... Does that approach sound familiar?

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
A clip from guys post,

“Many folks are aware of the fairly bad epizootic hemorrhagic disease year we’ve had,” said Game and Fish veterinarian Dr. Charlie Bahnson. “While EHD is a different disease from CWD, it illustrates the impact diseases can have on our wildlife populations. And unlike EHD, which is cyclical, CWD can become an increasing, annual pressure on our herd.”

The Game and Fish simply pass EHD off as cyclical. Yes EHD dies with the onset of winter and the midges blow in the next year on hurricane type winds. This one was a bomb cycle. There are ten different strains of EHD. This one wasn't a new strain but it is amped up with markers and bar the National Veterinary Services Lab in Ames Iowa has never seen before. So what is going to blow in next year?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sent 2 of our 3 tags back to GNF. Try for a gooder next season.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the few mature bucks left are gonna have a hay day trying to service all the surviving does that appear to have a better survival rate

probably kill a bunch of the bucks due to exhaustion

#whatawaytogo

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84