Is it worth anything?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two containers of gun powder. When my grandpa passed away, the relatives gave me a bunch of his old hunting and shooting stuff. It's sitting in my basement, and other than the containers (which are pretty cool looking) I have no use for the powder.

Is it worth trying to sell (or safe to do so)? Sorry I don't have any details. When I get home I'll update it with the type/brand etc.

But on the premise alone that it's easily 30-plus years old, if not 40- to 50-plus years old, I'm not sure if it should just be disposed of since it may not be safe to use in a firearm.

Or if anyone has a stump to blow up, I'll be your Huckleberry!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still have some that I bought in college.

Label says something about "For Use in Union Firearms Only"

whatever that means

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate my neighbor’s dog, maybe we can use it to remedy this situation somehow. I’ll buy the whiskey.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So long as it's stored properly (not exposed to moisture or excess heat), it should be just fine. I've shot ammo that was well over 80 years old, but haven't used any powder for reloading of such age.

I'd think the worst thing you would get would be less bang for a given load, or inconsistent performance. I've seen old, paper reloaded shotgun shells barely push the bb's out the end of the barrel. That's a little disconcerting when there's a possibility of something (wad + bb's) still being in the barrel, but I don't know how aging of powder would create the opposite, as in a higher chamber pressure.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here they are! They seem dry. I actually put some in a little pile and lit it and it went right up. So I think they're plenty "active."

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still have a can of that 2400 in my closet... used up the last two pounds of Hercules Green dot last summer, it shot just fine. still have a half open 5LB tin of PB from 1981 that goes boom just fine in my shotguns and 9mm.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
old=hot

i have some rifle power that says sioux sporting goods --- bought in the 60s ----- you dont have to add more grains - its hot already.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76