Adjusting Sights On a Levergun

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy--I hope you're not becoming "Capt Butthole Itch during The Staff Meeting".

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What can I say? I like it when guys have their wives mow while they’re in the house videoing an hour long video that should have taken 5 minutes.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have number of globe front sights by Lyman like he is talking about. They have interchangable blades and I like a thin squared off blade.

His recommended 150 yards for this type of rifle reminded me of an article I Outdoor Life 30 years ago. I have been trying since yesterday to remember the authore. but give up. Even with a bad memory one remembers things that impress you whether brilliant or foolish. Anyway this fellow had an article on the lever action in 357 magnum. He said if used for deer sized game one had to limit themselves to 50 yards to ethically kill deer. I think it was less than a year later this same fellow wrote an article in the same magazine about the 357 magnum in a handgun and said it was adequate to 100 yards. From experience I know the rifle picks up about 300 fps with a 158 gr bullet so how in the world did this author think a handgun could kill twice as far?

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have number of globe front sights by Lyman like he is talking about. They have interchangable blades and I like a thin squared off blade.

His recommended 150 yards for this type of rifle reminded me of an article I Outdoor Life 30 years ago. I have been trying since yesterday to remember the authore. but give up. Even with a bad memory one remembers things that impress you whether brilliant or foolish. Anyway this fellow had an article on the lever action in 357 magnum. He said if used for deer sized game one had to limit themselves to 50 yards to ethically kill deer. I think it was less than a year later this same fellow wrote an article in the same magazine about the 357 magnum in a handgun and said it was adequate to 100 yards. From experience I know the rifle picks up about 300 fps with a 158 gr bullet so how in the world did this author think a handgun could kill twice as far?

As experience increases opinions should change. Also, maybe the author had/has bad eyes. I'd assume iron sights for his 50 yd rifle guidance and a scope for his 100 yd pistol guidance.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The articles were published the same year and he was talking about how far the guns were lethal not accuracy. Thirty years ago few used scopes on pistols and I still remember his custom Ruger Blackhawk with a five inch barrel and some type of legal ivory grips. I dont remember the gunsmith name, but he always added a band around the end of the barrel and his custom sight. The fellow was just full of bs about rifle vs handgun.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
how in the world did this author think a handgun could kill twice as far?......The fellow was just full of bs about rifle vs handgun.

Here I thought you didn't know the answer to your question so I took a crack at it. My bad.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
No problem I also apologize for miss judging your intent. The world is so full of keyword geniuses that we often get touchy. The best handgun writter I enjoyed was Skeeter Skelton. There was another fellow from Wyoming that liked the single shot handguns in rifle cartridges, but I forget his name too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75