Gas or Electric

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not once did this article talk about where the electricity that was used to charge the ev battery came from. Then when you read the comments that people posted they are talking about the use of solar power that was installed on the roofs of your homes, I wonder how many of those people got a tax rebate from the government for installing those solar panels. It really should be a mandatory option of some sort of solar /wind power that unless you have a way to charge your vehicle without the use of fossil fuels then you should be charged a luxury tax on top of the other charges you are getting for using a vehicle that cost more per mile to use then a regular gas powered car.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago when tractors went from steel lugs to rubber some said it will never work. And Cat with steel tracts prove that right.

For me, i am glad i will have an internal combust engine to power all my needs except tools until i am put away.
At my age will probably not purchase another vehicle anyways. db

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just tried to sell a gas ice auger I paid over $500 for $125 and had no interest whatsoever. Wow.
Yeah your better off just keeping them as a spare or for when we have a really thick ice season or Lake Winnipeg etc. I have a Honda Strikemaster I haven't started in 3 years since I was last at Winnipeg, still not selling it though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah your better off just keeping them as a spare or for when we have a really thick ice season or Lake Winnipeg etc. I have a Honda Strikemaster I haven't started in 3 years since I was last at Winnipeg, still not selling it though.

same

Honda is in the trailer if my battery unit fails, gets unexpectedly dull/broke, etc.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'am in the same boat as db-2 and its gas. LB

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Btw... the regenerative thing only works when "braking". To move the car AND generate electricity for the same batteries that move the car would violate the laws of physics.

But what about old man Rath that drives with one foot on the brake and the other wooding the gas?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gas Jiffy became my boys, from there it is up to him

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gas or electric - why not both!!! Green energy and gas at its finest!!!

IMG_6449.jpg

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
If battery technology could get to the point of recharging as fast as it takes to put gas in the tank. I would be a buyer. Electric has more torque and larger towing capacity. You hit the gas pedal and the power is instant. Of course there is a lot more that would go into it than just the battery. But obviously the batteries are a huge part. And plus I think electric vehicles look cool. So much more that can be done with all the extra space that will be left over without no engine

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The technology will catch up.

I'm sure they had the same discussion 100+ years ago about how cars will never replace horses.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, they absolutely did have the same discussions about how the car would never replace the horse and buggy. I'd say you are probably correct in that technology will eventually solve the concerns we have about longer ranges and faster charging. Until then, the tech is simply not mature enough to suit my needs.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the torque issue. Somewhat little known fact. Most modern locomotives are electric motors powered by diesel engines. Sacrificed the loss of efficiency from using the diesel to power the electric for the additional torque on demand I assume.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the torque issue. Somewhat little known fact. Most modern locomotives are electric motors powered by diesel engines. Sacrificed the loss of efficiency from using the diesel to power the electric for the additional torque on demand I assume.

Same thing with all large ocean going vessels, cruise liners, container ships, etc. NO WAY could a diesel motor be shifted from neutral to forward for these large vessels - the props are driven by electric motors.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with some above. The tech will catch up. My first cordless drill was a 9.6V, Nickel-cadmium battery unit. Came with one battery. Good for about 40 screws, then was dead for a few hours while it charged. My current Milwaukee drills are 18V Lithium Ion. Next-to-no battery memory, work at about 100%, then die quickly, and they charge faster than I can use up the batteries. With two batteries, I can go all day long.

Yard machines (weed wacker and leaf blower) are 40V Li-Ion, and they're beasts.

Electric augers are everywhere now. If I were in the market for an auger, I wouldn't even consider gas, for the fishing I do.

The vehicles may not be "there" yet, but they will be. I still will have a truck though, for pulling a camper.

I've read though, that while they can be charged overnight in your garage, the quick-chargers take so much juice that only a few per city block could be supported, with our current power grid. I'd guess though, that those problems will be handled too, one day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75