Something New for The Tailrace?...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys have been casting flukes in the river from the tail race to south of Bismarck for years. They can be a killer after the spawn. Think May

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing new. For shore fishing, put a white 7 inch fluke on a 1/2 oz ball jig, cast it upstream at a 45 degree angle, and let it sink. The fluke sinks quick as it doesn't have a paddle tail drag or twist tail drag. Then hold until the bait gets straight down stream, then retrieve and repeat. Deadly all year, but dynamite in spring and fall for the tailrace. If you get snagged you don't lose a 12 dollar crankbait. Works for salmon and trout too.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool. I've never seen flukes used at the Tailrace. That double rig looks deadly.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool. I've never seen flukes used at the Tailrace. That double rig looks deadly.

SEVEN!! Are you kidding me? I used to use cranks non-stop in the tailrace. Now I'm about 50/50 with fluke. I know guys who don't use anything but white or white/grey flukes. They're "cheap" and look like smelt. Still lose them, but a lot less painful than even a $8 crank.

Now, I admit, I've never seen the double rig thing. I gotta give that some thinking.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the double hook legal in ND?

When KDM says 7 inches, he really means 3 or 4 inches, just ask Mrs. KDM. :;:duel ;:;rofl

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

When KDM says 7 inches, he really means 3 or 4 inches, just ask Mrs. KDM. :;:duel ;:;rofl

When speaking of my personal "tackle" I prefer to use the metric system. So I'm packin' 10. Thanks!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
SEVEN!! Are you kidding me? I used to use cranks non-stop in the tailrace. Now I'm about 50/50 with fluke. I know guys who don't use anything but white or white/grey flukes. They're "cheap" and look like smelt. Still lose them, but a lot less painful than even a $8 crank.

Now, I admit, I've never seen the double rig thing. I gotta give that some thinking.

No Sir! Ashamed to say I've never even considered anything other than nightcrawlers or Husky Jerks in the 'race. If you're leader shy, who gives a rip if a pike cuts you off?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think the regs say you can have 3 hooks / line and the hooks cannot be more than 10" apart, so theoretically you could have a hook at the end of your line, tie a tiny hook 10 inches up from that and hook a fathead on that, for live bait presentation, and put another fluke another 10 inches above that one, this would give you 20 inches between the bottom lure and the top lure, it would be worth trying probably...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just use fluke with a jig head. heavy enough to sink, light enough to not sink fast. When the bite is on, if you feel something, it's a fish. If you get snagged, it's a rock.

Easy peasy.

Also, unlike crawlers, plastic flukes - they do not die.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you considered those shank weighted Mustads? IMHO a lead head would make a fluke a common jig with no advantage over a paddle tail. I believe (perhaps falsely) an unweighted fluke could be fished deeper than the Huskys.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you considered those shank weighted Mustads? IMHO a lead head would make a fluke a common jig with no advantage over a paddle tail. I believe (perhaps falsely) an unweighted fluke could be fished deeper than the Huskys.

Now here is the reason I consider you a genius. I never thought of that.

I know what I'm buying this afternoon.

One thing though, flukes dive faster, so the gulls have less time to pick it up. I don't enjoy flying kites in the tailrace. Neither the bird, nor I, enjoy what happens next.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any rig with a weight is going to get snagged on the bottom eventually. If I’m throwing plastics I’ll stick with a jig head. Otherwise I’ll be throwing a floating white stick bait and not worrying about snags

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74