E2 Elk

Smoke

Hi all. Looking for some insight on what to do if I’m lucky enough to harvest an elk in unit E2. As far as I can tell, the G&F doesn’t allow a full head to be transported out of the unit. I planned on a euro mount but if I harvest something big enough to warrant a shoulder mount, it doesn’t look like there are any taxidermists located within E2.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caped out galwhofish's and cleaned the skull up (tongue, lower jaw, brain, eyes)

not that challenging if you've done it before on deer

elk was maybe easier - monster size parts

or... just haul the thing home and plead ignorance and maybe pay some petty fine

if you're taking to a taxidermist then what's the risk of transfer to ungulates in the destination county?????

Smoke

I have not cleaned up a skull on a deer, just caped up to base of the skull and let the taxidermist handle the rest. Too afraid of destroying the face I guess. Yeah it appears if I go 3 miles south of the unit to Dickinson that will spread CWD, even if it never leaves the truck bed.

- - - Updated - - -

can't you skull cap it? Or does that need to be boiled too? I'm confused

• Skull plates with antlers attached and no hide or brain tissue present.
  • Intact skulls with the hide, eyes, lower jaw and associated soft tissue removed, and no visible brain or spinal cord tissue present
  • Antlers with no meat or tissue attached.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd just take it to my personal taxi and tell the GNF to pound sand. Their rules are asinine when it comes to that shit anyway. Has a case of CWD ever been linked to the transportation of a head and cape for mounting purposes?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ah, I get it now. I wasn't picking up that you didn't want to cape it yourself in the original post. Just watch a few youtube videos. It's way easier than you think and only takes a few minutes. Get yourself a few scalpels or something like a havalon knife to make it even easier. That's my recommendation anyways. Use it as an opportunity to learn something new.

A guy that I take my capes to has a good video on his Facebook page - Dahlberg Taxidermy. He goes over and shows examples on how to cape a caribou. Basically the same way as an elk.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep

a havalon with an extra blade or two, and a screwdriver (for gently “chiseling” the hide from antler), is about all you need

portable drill and bent wire for liquifying brain

jug or two of water for rinsing out of brain soup

- - - Updated - - -

(if you’re gonna euro)

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd just take it to my personal taxi and tell the GNF to pound sand. Their rules are asinine when it comes to that shit anyway. Has a case of CWD ever been linked to the transportation of a head and cape for mounting purposes?

Yes, a taxidermist in New York State took in a head harvested in Wyoming. Caped it and threw the skull in a ravine out back.

This happened almost 20 years ago before much awareness of CWD. The taxidermist like most, was a wildlife enthusiast and when a deer showed up later emaciated on his place he figured it out.

In other news the white tail are dying in droves from EHD all along the Missouri River Corridor. It is spreading fast into areas that have never experienced it. It is all over west of the Missouri to as far east as Minot.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had to giggle at the ad that popped up next to your post. Probably says more about my internet searches than it does about you....
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crazy that there’s not a taxidermist in watford. You could always go somewhere close in MT.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can't take head into Montana unless cleaned, brain and all.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep

a havalon with an extra blade or two, and a screwdriver (for gently “chiseling” the hide from antler), is about all you need

portable drill and bent wire for liquifying brain

jug or two of water for rinsing out of brain soup

- - - Updated - - -

(if you’re gonna euro)
gross

Smoke

Well there's one month left in the season and I still haven't had a whiff of luck. Found elk in early september during the rut but since i don't bow hunt, i left them alone until rifle season. I've seen a total of 4 cows since. Its been almost summer like so it seems like they don't have a feeding pattern besides sit tight in the thickest stuff imaginable until after dark. Even a lot of the landowners have said they haven't seen any elk like they used to. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I've found sign, I glass all day, but nothing. Any pointers?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Care to share the general areas that you've been hunting? I may be able to point you to some different areas that have held elk in the past. It looks like I can't send you a private message.

Smoke

Care to share the general areas that you've been hunting? I may be able to point you to some different areas that have held elk in the past. It looks like I can't send you a private message.

I’ve been everywhere lately! I began focusing N of the Killdeer Mtns but I’ve moved west since.

- - - Updated - - -

Does one still have to have at least 5 posts before they can get or send a PM?

Maybe, I am sort of new here.

- - - Updated - - -

How many posts are necessary for PM abilities?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69