New To Hunting Help Appreciated!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never hurts to pick up a PLOTS map at a convenience store or some other location. It's available online also, but I like the paper copy in case you end up where you can't get data. Maybe PLOTS are viewable in OnX? Not sure about that, as I haven't used it. (PLOTS=Private Land Open To Sportsmen)

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can get OnX free till the end of the year. Go on G&F website and log on to your account. Click on the "Inbox" tab, click on "View" for the OnX subject and then click "Redeem". Follow the steps and setup an account.

Here I was all proud of myself I got 25% off with a simple google search discount code..sheesh

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sincere apologies to Logan and HappyCamper. I'm not proud of that post.

Dan

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made contact with Logan and the ball is rolling. From what I gathered from our conversation, he's starting from scratch with basic gear and youthful exuberance. He's going to shoot his bow all this week so he can put 5 arrows into a tennis ball area at 20 yards, then he's going to get some broad heads, and come out here next weekend to see if we can get him a deer. I might sit with him and try to remember the excitement I had on my first deer hunt. I'll make sure he keeps the peanut gallery posted as to his progress. I know some of you miscreants will be wondering.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure he shoots his broadheads at a target too as sometimes that changes the accuracy of the arrow from field points.
Then make sure his broadheads are sharp.
Good luck young feller, we will be cheering for you to get a deer.
We all have been down the same trail you are going through now, so don't worry about getting nervous or making mistakes, it happened to each and everyone of us.
Pics will be great too!

- - - Updated - - -

When I used to shoot before all my neck and back surgeries, I had some Judo tips and used them to take grouse, rabbits, squirrels, and gophers. Really sharpens up ones accuracy. It sure was fun back then!

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Practice with broad beads as mentioned.
I go a step further…I make one of my broadheads a “practice head”. I shoot it once with each arrow I’m going to hunt with to make sure it flies true. Mark all of your arrows with a sharpie on the fletching so if one doesn’t fly true you can identify it and put it away.

don’t use that practice head for hunting either. Even shooting it into foam targets will dull the blades.

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on some of you to lend your talent, advice and extra stuff you have taking up space.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have anymore gear to give away as I've given it away already but,
There are some great people on here that I'm quite sure will step up and help.

7mag needs too GOOO!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sincere apologies to Logan and HappyCamper. I'm not proud of that post.

Dan

4A92036B-9023-4119-B359-BB179B1EAA9F.jpg

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I picked up a whiff of troller and jumped balls deep in retardation. I apologize for real. I was wrong. I don't apologize for my verbiage. I just wish I hadn't used it against an innocent person. You all know how to get rid of me. I'd like to hang around. This is the last I'll comment on this.

Folks like KDM are the salt of the earth and I appreciate their generosity for the preservation of sport hunting.

That is all.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a whiff of troller and jumped balls deep in retardation. I apologize for real. I was wrong. I don't apologize for my verbiage. I just wish I hadn't used it against an innocent person. You all know how to get rid of me. I'd like to hang around. This is the last I'll comment on this.

Folks like KDM are the salt of the earth and I appreciate their generosity for the preservation of sport hunting.

That is all.

you clearly have the ability to be NORMAL. What brings out the weird with you? I pray, please tell..........most want to know on this site.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have all made mistakes, and have said, written, and done things that we aren't proud of. If we learn from them it is one of lifes most valuable lessons! If we don't learn then it is one of lifes worst mistakes.
Now back to helping out this young man.
Good luck Logan!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have anymore gear to give away as I've given it away already but,
There are some great people on here that I'm quite sure will step up and help.

7mag needs too GOOO!

I whole heartedly disagree.
Life is plenty serious and full of doldrums, calling this kid a fucktard was distasteful, but so what. He apologized and life goes on.

Lots of other things to worry about, to me this is not even on the list.

I was given a bad rep for quoting mr stevenson on this and saying hahaha, boy some people are sensitive. This too does not bother me, just wanted to state that even laughing at his odd post makes some people hate... its very weird to me, maybe I am not woke enough to run with the younger more sensitive generation.

That being said I am very happy that KDM once again steps in for the win. Nice job, without sounding condescending I sincerely am proud of what you do KDM.. Please don't take that as you need my approval for anything, or worse as though I am in any position to use that kind of talk towards anyone, just really amazed at all the stuff you do for others, its a life well lived.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmmm,last spring my NDA was hacked bullshit thread started in my name....hence I changed my sign on name,curious if same happened to mr steve?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Fellas for the kind words, but it's not that big of a deal. When I was younger I hunted on other mens land. It's just my turn to pass it on. That is what we grey beards are supposed to do. To quote a great kids hymn "The bible tells me so". That being said, I think Logan could use someone in Fargo to help him shoot as well as pick out equipment. I don't have to be the only one getting in on the fun. He will only be shooting a bit over 50 lbs and 20 yards so I think fixed blades would be best for him to maximize penetration, but he doesn't know how many grains his field points are so he doesn't know what broad heads to get. Would someone be willing and able to step up with an assist to make sure he's ready to go for this coming weekend when he shows up to hunt? Thanks again!!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
your not the svnmag he’s talking about. You picked a name that is famous

Think of all the poor bastards out there who are not the current president of the US but have the name “Joe Biden”. Oooftah, that’s some shitty luck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74