New To Hunting Help Appreciated!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Logan could use someone in Fargo to help him ... Would someone be willing and able to step up with an assist to make sure he's ready to go for this coming weekend when he shows up to hunt? Thanks again!!
Yep, I can do that. I have both 100 and 125 fixed broadheads he could have.

@Logan Stegmiller
I'm in the FM area, and can help you with archery. I can shoot over 80 yards right in my back yard, and aside from a bow press, am pretty well set up with archery stuffs. PM me if you want to come out and shoot. I'll give you whatever I can, and help pick out the rest.
My kids think they know everything. It would be refreshing to teach someone that wants to learn
;)

Last edited:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Just got a chance to go through this thread - I live in West Fargo - I have a couple dozen never been used mallard floater you can have Logan. They have a decoy bag to go with them. I won them at a Sporting Clays tourney a few years ago. Also have a few dozen shells from back in the 80's. Got them at the SD Game n Fish auction. Haven't been used in 20 years. If you want them you can have them. When you can - PM me and we can connect.

KDM, Snow, Suppress - awesome to help this young man. We need more of kids like him to keep this great out of doors experience going!

Logan Stegmiller

Hey supress, for some reason I'm not able to reply with quotes anymore, but I also have two new of an account to Pm you. I think this would be great because the knowledge and agility to shoot with more of an area would be super helpful. Would there be another way to get in touch or message you?

- - - Updated - - -

Just got a chance to go through this thread - I live in West Fargo - I have a couple dozen never been used mallard floater you can have Logan. They have a decoy bag to go with them. I won them at a Sporting Clays tourney a few years ago. Also have a few dozen shells from back in the 80's. Got them at the SD Game n Fish auction. Haven't been used in 20 years. If you want them you can have them. When you can - PM me and we can connect.

KDM, Snow, Suppress - awesome to help this young man. We need more of kids like him to keep this great out of doors experience going!

That would be awesome Brew, I'm not able to Pm at the moment, if there's a way for you to message me or I can try to get in touch with you another way whatever works, but that would be super helpful!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey supress, for some reason I'm not able to reply with quotes anymore, but I also have two new of an account to Pm you. I think this would be great because the knowledge and agility to shoot with more of an area would be super helpful. Would there be another way to get in touch or message you?

- - - Updated - - -

That would be awesome Brew, I'm not able to Pm at the moment, if there's a way for you to message me or I can try to get in touch with you another way whatever works, but that would be super helpful!

This is your 5th post - you should be able tp PM now.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

Replied to your PM. You have my number. There's probably not a ton of time between football practice and dark, but we'll figure it out.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Replied to your PM. You have my number. There's probably not a ton of time between football practice and dark, but we'll figure it out.

I have had deer on trail cam all day today Logan. Keep practicing. Thanks again SurpressYourself!! You've taken on the heavy lifting for this one. Wind willing it looks pretty good for Saturday! I'm getting a bit excited for this weekend myself right now.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the PM Logan - I replied with my number - throw me a text and we can get together Friday to get you those decoys. I have some other stuff you can go through as well - .......BrewCrew

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the crappy ass doom and gloom things going on in the world today, what you guys are doing for Logan is a breath of fresh air and awesomeness. :;:rockit Good on you guys for helping the young man out. :::thumbsup::

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ANXIOUS to see the out come from this weekend,kinda like I'm tagging along...lol early morning coffee/bailies will do this to ya(and a splash of brandy) hope gray beard get's ole logan on deer,then it's up to Logan to connect.Think "no" buck fever Logan.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
ANXIOUS to see the out come from this weekend,kinda like I'm tagging along...lol early morning coffee/bailies will do this to ya(and a splash of brandy) hope gray beard get's ole logan on deer,then it's up to Logan to connect.Think "no" buck fever Logan.

I'm getting giddy myself. If the wind is good, here's the top of the line. Hope Logan gets his chance at one of these and can hold it together long enough to put a pointy stick in the boiler room. I recommended that he take the first good shot presented to him. Get the first one under his belt Buck or Doe and then work from success. That won't stop me from hoping one of these guys shows up first. Enjoy!!

10 ptr.jpgNicebuck1.jpg

Happycamper

Honored Member
Logan's first hunt was in 2019 when all but one of my stands were in water. He never had a chance at a shootable buck. the second year he had a doe tag and as I recall he had 3 shooter bucks within easy range. He and his grandpa both filled their tags, it was a fine, memorable moment.
God willing I will get to hunt with him again.
In the interim the ball is in KDM's court and the rest of you guys who have stepped up.
Perhaps we can create a project like this to assist more youth who are passionate and have the desire to experience what we have enjoyed and learned.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Logan's first hunt was in 2019 when all but one of my stands were in water. He never had a chance at a shootable buck. the second year he had a doe tag and as I recall he had 3 shooter bucks within easy range. He and his grandpa both filled their tags, it was a fine, memorable moment.
God willing I will get to hunt with him again.
In the interim the ball is in KDM's court and the rest of you guys who have stepped up.
Perhaps we can create a project like this to assist more youth who are passionate and have the desire to experience what we have enjoyed and learned.

Best of luck to Logan this weekend! I can say from first-hand experience he's in great hands. Go get 'em kid! Can't wait to see the pics and hear the story!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are putting a lot of pressure on this poor kid :)
We shot a lot of arrows last night and got 20 and 30 yard pins pretty well dialed in. I removed the other pins as 30 yards should be the max for now. We shot some of my 100gn Magnus Stingers, and they seemed to shoot well, so I donated 3 or 4 in "target condition", and 5 that are new, along with 3 old arrows that were roughly the same weight and seemed to fly the same as the ones he had.
We largely focused on form and shooting, but we did talk a bit about shot placement, mentally marking where they run off to, and giving them time after the shot. [MENTION=314]KDM[/MENTION] may want to go over more hunting-focused tips.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Suppress - what is Logan shooting for arrows? I think I have a bunch of carbon that are just laying around. I also have many aluminum from back in the competition days.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are putting a lot of pressure on this poor kid :)
We shot a lot of arrows last night and got 20 and 30 yard pins pretty well dialed in. I removed the other pins as 30 yards should be the max for now. We shot some of my 100gn Magnus Stingers, and they seemed to shoot well, so I donated 3 or 4 in "target condition", and 5 that are new, along with 3 old arrows that were roughly the same weight and seemed to fly the same as the ones he had.
We largely focused on form and shooting, but we did talk a bit about shot placement, mentally marking where they run off to, and giving them time after the shot. @KDM may want to go over more hunting-focused tips.

I can't THANK YOU enough suppressyourself for taking the time to help this young man be successful. I certainly hope he doesn't feel pressured. I just want him to be successful. I don't know how much time I will have to talk to Logan before he's in the stand, but I'll do my best. Again, you took on the heavy lifting on this one. Hunters can't control the deer, but we can control practice time, equipment functionality and maintenance, knowledge about our quarry, and mental readiness. You have taken the time to ensure Logan has addressed that which he can control and better prepared him for the hunt. You're a good man for doing that. Now it's time to put it all together. The wind looks PERFECT for tomorrow. The muddy conditions will be an issue, but we can deal with that. Had several deer come in last evening and again this morning during shooting light, so if all goes well, he should be drawing back right away tomorrow morning. Hope Logan wins the game tonight and then wins the game tomorrow as well. Fingers Crossed!!!!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are carbon, in the old-school larger (I believe .295) diameter and 3 straight-fletched blazers.
I have a lot of other arrows, but due to the lack of time, I didn't want to change up too many things, so I found some that were as close as possible to what he had. He now has a total of 7 arrows, so there's definitely room for improvement there.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff SY!! Hope he only needs ONE arrow. Then a different chapter of hunting education begins. Field dressing and processing venison 101. LOL!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76