New To Hunting Help Appreciated!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck Logan.
Just remember, if you do miss on a shot don't worry about it as we all have missed a few times in our day.
Look at the spot you want that arrow to go, not at the horns.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I agree he should only need one, but as you practice, arrows tend to get beat up, broken and lost. Already 2 of those 7 arrows have beat up vanes. I would have glued on some new ones as I have plenty of blazers, but my jig is a helical, and these are straight. I was tempted to re-fletch them all, but again, lack of time...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time seems to be the limiting factor on lots of things. Hopefully the time spent in the stand hunting will be just as fruitful as the time you and Logan spent getting ready for the hunt. Ahhhhh the anticipation is delicious. I think we grey beards tend to forget how it was when we first started hunting. We need these youngsters to remind us of what this whole thing is supposed to be. For me, seeing youngins be successful are the highlights of my whole year. Thanks again SY.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This entire hunt theme for Logan and what you guyz are doing is fantastic,sounds like Logan is a humble young man and I sincerely hope he appreciates all of this which I'm sure he does.you guyz are the best.

I'll be hunting pheasants all day tomorrow wondering how this all plays out.

SY....with you passing on your knowledge which I'm sure took a lifetime to aquire you might have created a bow hunting mad man that and KDM's setup,next thing ya know this young man will be building his arrow's,investing every penny earned and saved,into gear,and hunting adventures.

Curious if Logan's dad hunt's or how he got to this point at such a young age.With you guyz as mentor's he's spoiled from here on.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
They are carbon, in the old-school larger (I believe .295) diameter and 3 straight-fletched blazers.
I have a lot of other arrows, but due to the lack of time, I didn't want to change up too many things, so I found some that were as close as possible to what he had. He now has a total of 7 arrows, so there's definitely room for improvement there.

SY - Logan will be at my house this afternoon to pick up the decoys and a few other things I have for him. I will send the arrows with and you can check them out next time he is with you. If they won't work he can bring them back to me. Or if you think you can use them with another youth please feel free.

I am absolutely excited for Logan this weekend - you and KDM are awesome to take this young man under your wings. I'd like to catch up with you two some day and have a pop just to get to know you better.

Good Luck and safe journey!

BrewCrew

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This entire hunt theme for Logan and what you guyz are doing is fantastic, sounds like Logan is a humble young man and I sincerely hope he appreciates all of this which I'm sure he does...
He's a great kid. Reminds me of myself about 20 years ago -- trying to figure out bow hunting on a serious budget and squeeze it in with football and school. I didn't have a mentor and youtube didn't exist, so I had to figure a lot of things out the hard way. Hopefully I'll eventually have him building arrows, hand-sharpening broadheads, and shooting small groups at 70 yards, but first... baby steps.

Last edited:

Logan Stegmiller

Hey everyone just wanted to post here before I head to my football game and before I hunt tomorrow. Just wanted to thank everyone whether it’s been in person or just through the thread it means a lot! Especially thanks to SY, BrewCrew and KDM for all the help you guys have gave me. Super excited to see what tomorrow brings and thanks for all the good luck wishes.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently Logans Dad is going to hunt with him. I put that in the OUTSTANDING column. Had to put another chair in the blind, so I thought I'd freshen up the attraction pile while I was there. As soon as I turned the corner to the stand, I saw a doe and her fawn walking the trail along the corn. This was at 2pm. Well I just sat on the 4 wheeler and waited to see what they would do. She and her fawn walked to 45 yards, stood broadside for a couple minutes, then walked into the trees. I slowly advanced and drove right by them at about 7 yards. I had to giggle a little bit about that. I guess they don't much care if I go by or not. Saw them on the way out too. This colder/damp weather seems to have them on the move. I have high hopes for tomorrow morning.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well done everyone. Logan, you are making one of the best friends you could ever have in KDM. He is truly selfless and wants nothing more than to see you successful. Listen to his advice, it’s learned from doing and he knows what he’s talking about! Have fun and God Bless!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just when I'd finally convinced myself that everyone sucks, you guys come along and ruin it.:cool:
Enjoy your time out. Deer or not, just spending some time quietly watching all that is out there is in itself a reward.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
You's guys are some amazing dudes!
Logan: if you ever make it up towards devils lake I have a ton of decoys to get rid of if you need any! They're not going anywhere anytime soon..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I couldn't sleep and was up at O-M-G early this morning. Got some coffee and checked the trail cam. WELL, this guy just showed up today. Now, I'm about ready to have a stroke for Logan. This guy has matching split G2's and a split brow on his right side. He's young, but what a deer for a youngster to get. Think I'll call him "Pointdexter".

Pointdexter.jpg
pointdexter1.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM and Logan, good luck! Regardless of the outcome this hunt has already been a tremendous success.
Take some pics, leave those keys by the vehicle somewhere, and keep a metal detector handy!
This has been pretty sweet just watching this process unfold. A lot faith in humanity gets restored when you see total strangers mixing it up like this over the promise of a good hunt and good friendships made across generations.

Happycamper, I bet this has exceeded all of your expectations already!!!!

Happycamper

Honored Member
Yes it certainly has. If the snows move into our area this fall I'll ask you and todd to have him participate in a goose shoot like you're accustomed to.

Logan Stegmiller

Spotted a buck at 9:00am and flung my first shot at it, I hit it but it wasn’t a great shot the arrow had white hair and hit low below the lungs. Blood trail came to a halt and we backed out to let him bed down. 8 hours later we found him bed down and flung a second arrow. BOOM! He’s down! Thanks for all the help everyone pictures coming soon!

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very proud of you and your kill FWIW. It's good to have another hunter in the ranks. You're a good guy with much potential. Kick ass.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77