New To Hunting Help Appreciated!

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is just to damn awesome for words. Congrats to each and everyone of you involved in getting this to happen. This kind of thing is truly what the good old American hunting heritage is all about. God Bless America !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been there done that . Couple years ago shot an antelope with the bow just before sunrise and he didn't expire until sunset . Couldn't push him as all the land around was no hunt . How many get their 1st harvest on their 1st time out ? None! KUDOS TO ALL INVOLVED !!!

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You have got to be shitting me. As much as I was hoping to hear the story end like this…after bow hunting for 30 years I didn’t expect it! GREAT JOB!!!

Im going to crack a Busch Light right now to celebrate!!!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good job Logan, way to go!
Kirk, your the man.:;:thumbsup

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
WE DID IT FELLAS!!! We ALL did it. Everyone on NDA can share in the awesomeness of this experience. Why you may ask?? Because if it wasn't for this website and all who post on here, HappyCamper would never have mentioned to Logan to take a shot in the dark to ask for help. We all love hunting and this my friends is how we keep hunting going. By taking the time and effort to pass on what we greybeards have learned over the years to these young men and women. Now, enough preaching. Here's the story from my side....

Logan and his Dad arrived at Fort KDM at around 5:30am. I of course, had been up for over 2 hours by then as I was so excited and nervous for this hunt I couldn't hardly stand myself. We discussed the hunt and how the blind was set up. What to expect and a few pointers on hunting in general. We headed to the stand at around 6:35am and I got them situated and ready. I was hoping for a call right at daybreak, but all was quiet. I was so hoping there would be deer there right a way. About an hour after sunrise and a few more cups of coffee while I paced around the house waiting for a phone call, I figured I might as well start my day so I went to take my shower. I had no sooner stepped under the water and was getting my hair wet, when my wife came in, opened the shower door, and handed me my phone. Hair dripping and a few strands in one eye, I shut off the shower and took the phone in a wet hand. From the other end I heard those MAGIC word I had been longing to hear. "I Took A Shot!" My heart jumped. I told Logan to stay put, quiet, and enjoy the moment. I would be up there in 30 minutes or so. I finished my shower, got ready, and headed up to the stand. I found Logan and his Dad still in the stand and proceeded to ask a bunch of questions about the shot. Things like "Did the deer jump and the shot?" "Which way did he run?" "How did he run?" "What did you hear after the shot?" "Was the arrow still in the deer?" Logan was having difficulty remembering all these details and we talked about how important these details are to figuring out what happened. He got the picture and said "I was so excited that I didn't pay attention to those things." I smiled and totally understood. It was during these questions that Logan mentioned the word "HE". I realized he had shot a BUCK!!! I was ecstatic! I was hoping he would be able to get a shot at horns. I told Logan and his Dad that I would look for blood and that they should be looking ahead of me for the deer. We discussed the why's and what for's about the importance of looking ahead and being quiet during a tracking job. We started at the impact point where I looked for the arrow more so than blood. I didn't find the arrow, which I took for a good sign. Logan described pretty well where the deer had run, which was great for a young hunter. I didn't find any blood for about 20 yards at which point I found the arrow. Here's where things went south a bit. I looked at the arrow and there was NO BLOOD on the broad head or the first 6-8 inches of the shaft. HMMMMM.... There was however, good blood on the last half of the shaft and all over the fletching. Here is where I found WHITE HAIRS on the fletching. NOT GOOD. White hairs means belly or low brisket. Logan, his Dad, and I discussed what the arrow was telling me and why. Logans face kind of dropped when I started quizzing him on his shot a bit more. NOW we went into "Stalking Mode". Very quiet and very slow. I was finding drops of blood the size of marbles and I found where the buck had stood for a time. There was a puddle of blood the size of a softball, but I didn't like the fact that the buck had stopped and stood, before heading off into the trees again. The blood trail really got sparce after that and I could only find one BB sized drop after that. It was a this point we decided to back out. I was thinking low brisket hit with a slight chance he cut into the chest cavity. We decided we would give this deer ALL DAY to lay up. We discussed why that was a good idea and what a deer will do when it's hit, but not hit really good. We marked the last blood with Logans arrow, let the deer lay for 7 hours, and headed back in at 4pm. We picked up the blood trail and it was DISMAL, DISMAL, DISMAL!!! I was on my hands and knees following flecks of blood on grass and disturbed leaves. It took us an hour or so to go 15 yards further on the blood trail and I LOST BLOOD. I was SICK to my stomach. I thought NO, WE CAN'T LOSE THIS DEER, NOT ON HIS FIRST BUCK!! I said a small prayer to my Heavenly Father and stood up. We quietly talked about how to continue. I told them that deer tend to keep going in the same direction when they are hit, so I laid out a plan for us to fan out and QUIETLY proceed down the trees, looking for a deer bed or a body. I was hoping we would run across his bed and at least give me a chance to evaluate the hit. I sent Logans Dad on the inside, Logan was to be in the middle, and I took the outside path along the tall grass, hoping I could find some smears on the grass. Logan and his Dad started out and I headed to the outside. I hadn't gone 10 steps when I saw a lump in the grass off to my left. It was shiny on top in the sun. I crept over a couple of steps and realized it was Logans buck. RIGHT THERE at 10 yards. I just stood there watching for a second or two as with the blood trail I thought we might need another arrow. BOY was I glad I did that. I was just about to take another step and I saw his ear move. OH CRAP!!! Now started the fastest, slow silent creep through the brush I've ever done trying to get Logans attention without making much noise and He and his Dad were walking away from me. That was fun...... I quietly whistled a couple times while hotfooting it towards them. Logan noticed or heard me and turned around. I then started a series of hand signals that I'm sure looked like I was having and epileptic episode, but I got the point across that I wanted Logans Dad to stand fast and be quiet and for Logan to sneak over to me as silently as possible. We met up about 40 yards from the buck and I showed Logan where he was. We crept back in to about 10 yards and it was here I could tell the buck was laying belly down, with his chin on the ground. We had some thick pines and junipers between us and the buck with no hope of getting closer or around the buck without making a bunch of noise and possibly spooking the buck. I found a SMALL SMALL opening in the pines about 8 inches tall and a foot wide without any branches and asked Logan if he thought he could slip an arrow through that opening and into the bucks chest. He looked at me and said "I can try." He drew back, squatted down an bit and leaned over. It looked like a new yoga stance to me, took aim, and let fly. THWACK!!!! I heard the hit and the buck literally launched out of his bed and took off. It was a TREMENDOUS shot for an experienced hunter, let alone a young hunter with his first buck. I could see the arrow fletching on one side of him and the broad head on the other. The blood was pouring out of him. Logan looked at me and I said "He's Yours!!" We watched the buck pile up in some cattails about 40 yards away and the celebration began. I was fist pumping and called Logans Dad over who had been patiently watching us and had heard the shot. Turns out Logan had not realized the buck wasn't perfectly broadside and had taken a quartering towards shot. He hit about 3 inches from where he was aiming, but with the angle of the deer he had hit one lung and a bunch of yucky. The arrow came out in the belly just in front of the offside leg. That's where the white hairs came from. I was EXTREMELY happy we had let this deer lay up all day. If we had not, I suspect he would have gotten up at our approach and we would have never found him. WHAT A HUNT!! CONGRATULATIONS LOGAN ON YOUR FIRST BUCK!!!!!!!! Hope the pics show up soon. They turned out great as well.

Last edited:

Logan Stegmiller

Hey everyone sorry for the late response just got done skinning and cleaning up the deer boy was that hunt a success!! It was such a thrill with so many ups and downs I, my heart was racing at times and then my stomach was dropping at times worrying about not finding the deer. All that send KDM and his tracking skills payed off! Thank you so much to everyone for the congratulations and the preparation help couldn’t have done it without each and every one of you!

Would someone be able to reply with how to post pictures on here do I have to send them to the computer or is it possible on the phone?

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After reading the story, I can tell KDM has been through a lot of what I have over the past 30 years both after my own shots or the shots of others…and I’m sure you can add a decade or three of experience on to that. You learn a lot after making mistakes after the shot and you add It all up over the years to avoid repeating those mistakes. The ability to look things up on the internet and learn from the lessons of others is as an additional aid these days. It is quite a blessing to have an experienced tracker when on your first trail. Without KDM, this buck would likely not have been recovered. I’m really glad Logan found his deer and to be perfectly honest I think dealing with a less than perfect hit serves the most benefit as early in a hunting career as possible. It should shape every shot and tracking job from that point forward into the future.

There is absolutely nothing that I would have done differently given these circumstances, from the questions that were asked to the backing out and waiting all day to the hands and knees trailing as long as possible. Having multiple people trailing instead of one is also of huge benefit.

So many lessons were learned and it is very fortunate the ending was as ideal as it could be, because often it is not. This type of hit along with a straight stomach shot are about as bad as it gets for archery, and the most painful part about it for the hunter is it is so close in distance to the perfect shot…a game of inches and even more than that it is a game of angles. I’ve lost a lot of sleep over hits like this.

I commend the patience and resilience you three showed here. This is decades of experience for some people all rolled into a week. It’s tremendous. It’s unbelievable actually. Well done.

Logan, use the internet to really study deer anatomy and moving forward, remember all of those questions and items KDM was inquiring about. What happens from the point of impact through the moment you lose sight of the deer tells a huge story that can dictate the rest of the process. It is not always easy or even possible to gather all of that info but whatever is available is of huge benefit. Of course, a pounding heart beat, watery eyes, shaking knees, etc. sometimes make it hard to gather or even remember what you saw…and the second guessing creeps in and you wonder if you really saw what you think you saw. I still deal with that and wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Time for another celebratory Busch Light! J/k. Well, not really.
I just cracked it.

Also it sounds like happycamper wants us to get a waterfowl hunt together. That would be sweet especially since you now have more decoys than I do!!!

Actually I have all the field decoys a guy would need as well, so land or water would be quite feasible.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey everyone sorry for the late response just got done skinning and cleaning up the deer boy was that hunt a success!! It was such a thrill with so many ups and downs I, my heart was racing at times and then my stomach was dropping at times worrying about not finding the deer. All that send KDM and his tracking skills payed off! Thank you so much to everyone for the congratulations and the preparation help couldn’t have done it without each and every one of you!

Would someone be able to reply with how to post pictures on here do I have to send them to the computer or is it possible on the phone?

0F301ABF-8383-41AB-9A2A-AF93DD131E9D.jpg

Choose that one above the reply box, you might have to load one at a time. W2G man, congrats!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats Logan! So excited you had a chance to get out and experience this!! Looking forward to pics....

KDM - the story is so well written it should be in a magazine!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man that is amazing! I want to win the lottery so I can buy a bunch of land and do as KDM does! This is one of the greatest things to happen to this site in a long time! What an honor to be able to be a small part of this. Even if my part didn't attribute much other than in-the-shadows support!

This is exactly what outdoors should be. Not about being selfish, but about sharing experiences. I won't hunt with my brother-in-law any more because he is the exact opposite of this. It's not so much about the overall experience of everyone, but rather his own gratification and satisfaction of having the bragging rights to shooting the biggest or catching the biggest...This truly helps give me direction on how I should do things. I felt a bit lost and unmotivated after a run-in with my bro-in-law, but this really helps. Thanks to all involved and specifically KDM. Great work gentlemen!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome Logan. Sounds like you composed yourself well.
And as always, well done KDM;:;bowdown

Logan Stegmiller

Here's a couple pictures, they turned out real nice with the sunset in the back. Spent the day skinning and cleaning the deer can't wait to get a taste of that meat! Thanks again to anyone and everyone who helped and congratulated.

20211016_192434.jpg20211016_192311.jpg20211016_192240.jpg20211016_193013.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After reading the story, I can tell KDM has been through a lot of what I have over the past 30 years both after my own shots or the shots of others…and I’m sure you can add a decade or three of experience on to that. You learn a lot after making mistakes after the shot and you add It all up over the years to avoid repeating those mistakes. The ability to look things up on the internet and learn from the lessons of others is as an additional aid these days. It is quite a blessing to have an experienced tracker when on your first trail. Without KDM, this buck would likely not have been recovered. I’m really glad Logan found his deer and to be perfectly honest I think dealing with a less than perfect hit serves the most benefit as early in a hunting career as possible. It should shape every shot and tracking job from that point forward into the future.

There is absolutely nothing that I would have done differently given these circumstances, from the questions that were asked to the backing out and waiting all day to the hands and knees trailing as long as possible. Having multiple people trailing instead of one is also of huge benefit.

So many lessons were learned and it is very fortunate the ending was as ideal as it could be, because often it is not. This type of hit along with a straight stomach shot are about as bad as it gets for archery, and the most painful part about it for the hunter is it is so close in distance to the perfect shot…a game of inches and even more than that it is a game of angles. I’ve lost a lot of sleep over hits like this.

I commend the patience and resilience you three showed here. This is decades of experience for some people all rolled into a week. It’s tremendous. It’s unbelievable actually. Well done.

Logan, use the internet to really study deer anatomy and moving forward, remember all of those questions and items KDM was inquiring about. What happens from the point of impact through the moment you lose sight of the deer tells a huge story that can dictate the rest of the process. It is not always easy or even possible to gather all of that info but whatever is available is of huge benefit. Of course, a pounding heart beat, watery eyes, shaking knees, etc. sometimes make it hard to gather or even remember what you saw…and the second guessing creeps in and you wonder if you really saw what you think you saw. I still deal with that and wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Time for another celebratory Busch Light! J/k. Well, not really.
I just cracked it.

Also it sounds like happycamper wants us to get a waterfowl hunt together. That would be sweet especially since you now have more decoys than I do!!!

Actually I have all the field decoys a guy would need as well, so land or water would be quite feasible.

The experience sure was amazing couldn't have asked for a better turnout! Internet sure does help these days being able to find all the info you could ever need. Definitely will take you guys up on the waterfowl hunt when the time comes! Thanks again for the messages from start to finish!

Last edited:

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is just an awesome story. Makes me feel there is still hope for our sport.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's all NOT FORGET that SuppressYourself had a HUGE hand in this being a success. He stepped foreword and took time out of his life to help Logan, a young man he had never met, to make sure he had his bow, arrows, broad heads, and his shooting form nailed down as well as possible given the circumstances. A HUGE SHOUTOUT to you SuppressYourself. Your efforts made a difference!! Thank You!!

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shooting big deer is always fun, but to me a great experience and story is the true trophy. Everyone involved with story basically has a Boone and Crocket story. This ranks as one of the coolest hunting stories I have ever heard. Congrats to everyone.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to Logan and all involved in making this a hunt of a lifetime for this young man and his Dad!
The smiles say it all and they both will remember this hunt for the rest of their lives.
This is what hunting is all about.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to mention Suppress even had him learn new yoga positions for just the right moment! ;)

Again, super cool that this was able to be pulled off, especially on such short notice. Good work to all involved - including you Logan! Sounds like you were pretty busy but put in the time to get ready and get it done!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80