EHD

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in 3b1 hunting the grasslands near tobacco gardens I came across 5 dead one nice 4x4 and that was in a 3-4 mile hike the coyotes don't Evan seam to eat them very much didn't see vultures either seams odd.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ugh - EHD appears to be a much bigger problem than the MO river corridor that NDGF had reported on earlier

this really sucks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
2007 time frame it wiped out the Perkins county area and it’s just coming back in the last year it’s not good. Around Mobridge I have never seen it this bad since I have lived here. Been doing lots of scouting for waterfowl and have not seen 10 deer.

Fishing701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen 10 dead ones over the weekend. 6 were does the other 4 were bucks. A couple of really nice ones too. Made me sick to my stomach. 3a3 down on the lake shore.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
is this usually an issue on the west side of the state? I've never heard any reports of EHD from the eastern half.

★ Legendary Member
11 dead in 15acrea farmstead of 3D2. wouldn't ask for a refund even if they gave one. its time spent with my oldest daughter so we will have fun no matter what. she would be so pissed if i asked for a refund and told her we couldn't go hunting.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its bad in 3A3 like posted above, I live in Garrison and spotted at least 6 in my pheasant travels north and west yesterday. A GNF source I visited with found 5 in one area while hunting and said all were dead in the last 48hrs.

He mentioned to me about the GNF Mortality Report and asked to fill out my sightings. They are indeed aware and are trying to track how far it has reached, he knows of cases all the way to Minot. The link below is for the mortality report and it is very quick and easy to fill out.

Wildlife Mortality Report | North Dakota Game and Fish

Albeit, the increased foot traffic with pheasant season is going to make this sound very bad, and it is, but the sudden appearance is only due to the increased visiblity. Lets hope this snow and cold happens this week, because we really need it!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you think pheasant hunters are finding them go talk to farmers harvesting corn.... youll shit your pants the numbers there finding.
20+ in single fields

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last year i figured we lost about 70% of our whitetails, this year record hights in sept and oct was the nail in the coffin.
Ive never seen it this bad in my lifetime, guess ill be heading to other parts of the statet to fill my muzzleloader tag that took me 14 points to draw.

contact game and fish. See if they will let you hold off on that tag. I bet they will be refunding all sorts of tags in the very near future.

- - - Updated - - -

EHD happens every year. Last year and more so this year it has been too hot for too long across a huge area. That gives the vectors time to be blown across the country side and reinfect deer in new areas, a lot of times where deer populations were getting pretty dense again. That long, drawn out, hot stretch of weather allows way more midge generations to be involved and the more deer and more midge generations, the more EHD. Adults only live for 20 days but when you stack 6 months together of really hot dry weather - that opens the door for a lot of midge life cycles to take place. This year the “EHD” season has been several months instead of just 1 or 2. It got too hot too early and stayed too warm for too long. That makes things BAD…real BAD. The results of this summer and fall will last for many seasons downstream.
hopefully this weekend we get some below freezing temps for a couple days.
Then, hopefully we don’t repeat this next year.

Good news is, the deer that are infected and survive will develop immunity and does will even pass it on to their fawns temporarily. There has to be some sort of vaccine we can quickly approve and mandate for crying out loud isn’t there?!?!!

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its bad in 3A3 like posted above, I live in Garrison and spotted at least 6 in my pheasant travels north and west yesterday. A GNF source I visited with found 5 in one area while hunting and said all were dead in the last 48hrs.

He mentioned to me about the GNF Mortality Report and asked to fill out my sightings. They are indeed aware and are trying to track how far it has reached, he knows of cases all the way to Minot. The link below is for the mortality report and it is very quick and easy to fill out.

Wildlife Mortality Report | North Dakota Game and Fish

Albeit, the increased foot traffic with pheasant season is going to make this sound very bad, and it is, but the sudden appearance is only due to the increased visiblity. Lets hope this snow and cold happens this week, because we really need it!

Where are they calling for snow and cold. i keep hoping for it to push more birds

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
F50628C1-6510-4089-ABF9-9F99BA9F7253.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

8D75EF4C-E2EF-4B03-87C9-06ABFD1EBF38.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad they are offering refunds.
I hope they consider canceling season around here next year for whitetails.
I will be returning my tags.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad they are offering refunds.
I hope they consider canceling season around here next year for whitetails.
I will be returning my tags.
Hahaha . No seriously, hahahaha cancel season hahahahaha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84