EHD

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are they calling for snow and cold. i keep hoping for it to push more birds
got 4 inches in noonan nd today pretty sure it goes up pretty far north

- - - Updated - - -

Where are they calling for snow and cold. i keep hoping for it to push more birds

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

so your saying fresh birds on the way. I like it

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
You haven't a clue.
No no , it’s obvious that that is you my friend . If you think for one second our gf will cancel the season in any area for deer your crazy .... heck they’ll probably up tags next year in an effort to kill some deer off cuz of cwd ....

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can remember a time when NDGF extended the regular rifle season in some areas due to weather (1996), but I do not recall a year where the deer season has been cancelled in modern (post 1980) history. Someone, anyone remember a deer season cancellation for a given unit?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can remember a time when NDGF extended the regular rifle season in some areas due to weather (1996), but I do not recall a year where the deer season has been cancelled in modern (post 1980) history. Someone, anyone remember a deer season cancellation for a given unit?
I don’t think it was 96. It was 2004 I believe , atleast on east end of the state

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think it was 96. It was 2004 I believe , atleast on east end of the state

I don't remember 2004 having an extended season out east as I moved to Bismarck in 2003, but 1996 was extended by a couple weeks in some eastern units. I lived in GF at the time and had extra doe tags out by Lakota. There was a large blizzard opening weekend that prevented many from getting out. Needless to say, that winter didn't improve much (if at all) and was responsible for the flooding of 1997. It also whacked a lot of deer. Buddy shot one that was literally frozen to the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the shittiest weather I've ever hunting in was in 1996. Granted I have better gear now, but I froze my azz off in that extended season.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't remember 2004 having an extended season out east as I moved to Bismarck in 2003, but 1996 was extended by a couple weeks in some eastern units. I lived in GF at the time and had extra doe tags out by Lakota. There was a large blizzard opening weekend that prevented many from getting out. Needless to say, that winter didn't improve much (if at all) and was responsible for the flooding of 1997. It also whacked a lot of deer. Buddy shot one that was literally frozen to the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the shittiest weather I've ever hunting in was in 1996. Granted I have better gear now, but I froze my azz off in that extended season.

Was that the opening weekend blizzard out west? I remember getting snowed it at the Long X Saloon in Grassy Butte around then.

That was a fun night. : )

The next day was miserable (hangover from hell).

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

2004 .... not gonna argue . Fact . It was a December season for doe only . 1996 there was no extra doe tags for any eastern units ...

- - - Updated - - -

Call the gf and ask ... 2004

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not certain on the exact year other than it was early 2000s and there was a ton of standing corn they had a continuation of the season in December anterless only

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How safe is it to harvest a deer say in mid November? ?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
It takes 8 hours to 5 days for an animal to die of EHD. If you in the mean time harvest that deer during that time frame it is safe to eat because EHD is exclusive to ruminants.

Humans are not affected by eating the meat anymore than they are affected being bitten by a midge.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My question is, can you eat the midges? And if so we’re you allowed to do so during the famous extended season of ‘96?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76